Getting rid of Canada Geese from marinas

comfortably numb

Featured Posts

Our marina is over run with Canada Geese. Many people on the marina have issues with them crapping everywhere, the noise they make, and the disruption they are causing to the other wildlife.

Rather than the option of culling them people have tried making life difficult for them by regularly shooing them into the water when they see them in the hope that they will move get brassed off and move to one of the many lakes in the vicinity. One chap even operates a remote controlled speedboat in an effort to disturb them. But they are still here.

Presumably many marinas have similar problems and I'd be interested to know how others have dealt with the problem, or don't they perceive them as being a problem perhaps?

A couple of weeks ago a Virgin Atlantic airliner bound for America was a couple of minutes into its flight from Heathrow just north of London when a lazer beam was shone at it cockpit, the beam badly effected the co pilots vision. The plane flew on, the captain hoping his co pilot would recover quickly, he didn't, the plane flew on until it was off the north west coast of Scotland before turning back. It carried on not only in the hope that the pilots vision would recover but also to dump and burn off fuel to enable it to land back at Heathrow.

I wish Canada Geese was the biggest issue in my neighbourhood.

Personally I find the bail half-way house at the end of the road creates more than enough in the way of problems.

There would be substantial objectives to culling that bunch out with a 12 bore.

A couple of weeks ago a Virgin Atlantic airliner bound for America was a couple of minutes into its flight from Heathrow just north of London when a lazer beam was shone at it cockpit, the beam badly effected the co pilots vision. The plane flew on, the captain hoping his co pilot would recover quickly, he didn't, the plane flew on until it was off the north west coast of Scotland before turning back. It carried on not only in the hope that the pilots vision would recover but also to dump and burn off fuel to enable it to land back at Heathrow.

That's one of the problems, The Canada's dump everywhere

I know a groundsman that around dusk waved (not pointed) a green laser at them and they would leave for a few days, apparently the green mimics the eye reflections of one of their predators in the wild. It certainly was an impressive site watching them all take off !.

Waterways without wildlife would be sterile and dull places. I think the call of Canada geese is quite funny, in small doses. Saying that we had a small white duck nesting opposite our mooring and the call it made was defeaning, like a car alarm. I wasted a hell of a lot of coal trying to persude it to relocate.

• Greenie 1

Waterways without wildlife would be sterile and dull places. I think the call of Canada geese is quite funny, in small doses. Saying that we had a small white duck nesting opposite our mooring and the call it made was defeaning, like a car alarm. I wasted a hell of a lot of coal trying to persude it to relocate.

Perhaps he had a little solid fuel stove at the back of his nest, and only stayed due to your kind donations?

• Greenie 1

Would you say still say it was a problem if they were swans??

Rob....

Much more so. Unpleasant, bad-tempered creatures and far too large*. They're O.K. from a distance. I wish that the royal kitchens would serve them for dinner more often.

* To be clear, I'm referring to the swans, not to the people who moor in the marina. On second thoughts, though...

Ive been trying to persuade Molly dog s'ok to chase them but she just looks and lays down...I keep telling her exercise good as you get old(she's 14)....I've even tried showing her how to run and chase them but no...she's useless..

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/geese/tips/solving_problems_canada_geese.html

There are loads of useful suggestions of ways to help ease the problem in a humane way at that link.

It would seem that there needs to be a proper plan with different things to do at different times of year.

If you shoot one another will simply fill it's place. Better to discourage them so they go elsewhere but there is a time that doing this will be productive and other times when you will be wasting your time.

Have a read and make your plan. It won't happen overnight but maybe by this time next year you can be goose free.