'Waterways World' back issues

Agogojo

Featured Posts

I have 'Waterways World' back issues, complete years from 1978 to 1983 inclusive plus random copies from 1974 to 1977 and 1984 to 1993. I really don't want to put them in the recycling bin. Is there anyone, anywhere, might want them? I only need to cover the postage cost. (I live in Norfolk.)

I have 'Waterways World' back issues, complete years from 1978 to 1983 inclusive plus random copies from 1974 to 1977 and 1984 to 1993. I really don't want to put them in the recycling bin. Is there anyone, anywhere, might want them? I only need to cover the postage cost. (I live in Norfolk.)

That's where mine went and I live in Suffolk, no one wanted them

Try to avoid recycling - it seems such a shame.

I took a batch from about that era from another forum member, and found them fascinating.

(....although a little disappointed about just how much less I could have paid for "Flamingo" if I could have bought it then, rather that recently!)

Can I suggest you donate them to your local canal society or IWA branch ?

These groups are often short of cash and they can sell the magazines at local canal events.

WRG used to collect and sell on canal magazines but gave up a number of years ago, the market is just not there, more people are getting rid of them than collecting them.

Tim

Thank you for all your advice. I'm not situated well for sharing locally. It's the Norfolk Broads where the boating interest is more cruisers than narrow boats and canals. I have offered them on the local Freecycle groups a couple of times. Guess I need to steel myself and imagine their future incarnation as kitchen rolls!

Can I suggest you donate them to your local canal society or IWA branch ?

These groups are often short of cash and they can sell the magazines at local canal events.

When we use to sell books for the Ipswich IWA at the IWA National etc we couldn't give them away

Thank you for all your advice. I'm not situated well for sharing locally. It's the Norfolk Broads where the boating interest is more cruisers than narrow boats and canals. I have offered them on the local Freecycle groups a couple of times. Guess I need to steel myself and imagine their future incarnation as kitchen rolls!

Ipswich is your local IWA branch and they wont want them.

Ok, another suggestion - it's possible that your local County Record Office would like them.

https://www.suffolk.gov.uk/culture-heritage-and-leisure/suffolk-record-office/using-the-suffolk-record-office/suffolk-record-office-contact-details-and-opening-times/

Might be worth sending them an email.

I can't see why they would.

I would agree with what has been suggested so far, sadly there really are very few people who want these things nowadays and so even less who are prepared to part with money for them,

They are heavy and take space and canal societies simply don't have the storage to hang onto them for ages until they sell for a very small sum.

I would agree with what has been suggested so far, sadly there really are very few people who want these things nowadays and so even less who are prepared to part with money for them,

They are heavy and take space and canal societies simply don't have the storage to hang onto them for ages until they sell for a very small sum.

We couldn't give them away.

I soooo wish you were in the Midlands,I have bought quite a lot of old canal mags at various gatherings & I love them.I have mags from the 1970s onwards.

Take a look at Myhermes carriers. They will ship quite a heavy box for a very reasonable sum and if the OP is willing to box them up then you might work a deal

In my experience, old mags sell better if bundled or tied up into one-year batches, so usually 12 issues. They then attract buyers (though not for much money) at boot fairs. This has worked for me in the past with Record Collector magazines and Old Glory vintage transport magazines.

In my experience, old mags sell better if bundled or tied up into one-year batches, so usually 12 issues. They then attract buyers (though not for much money) at boot fairs. This has worked for me in the past with Record Collector magazines and Old Glory vintage transport magazines.

Even better when they are in binders!

Tim