...don't feel like i belong anywhere...

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

I don't. I didn't get a boat to be tied to one place.

I'm just getting annoyed lately with this snot-nosed witch hunt against CCers based on how far they move around. Certain people are using it as a stick to hit others with, and there are those unwilling to distinguish between a genuine CCer and one of the Boats Are Homes brigade.

What on earth are you talking about? Your boat name does not seem appropriate to your present mood. Pray tell us, where are these catarrhal witches? And a CCer's boat is his home, that is the whole point of being one, so it may not be possible to distinguish one from the other..

Edited by Athy

I'm just getting annoyed lately with this snot-nosed witch hunt against CCers based on how far they move around. Certain people are using it as a stick to hit others with, and there are those unwilling to distinguish between a genuine CCer and one of the Boats Are Homes brigade.

Fascinating. Can you quote an example of this please?

You and Kriss appear to be a perfect examples of who I meant. CCer who feels persecuted but can't actually quote any posts that persecute.

Unless they have permission from CRT that is ( ninja.gifninja.gifninja.gif )

We don't ask for permission, we tell them what we are doingrolleyes.gif .

To be honest though, having been stuck around the Oxford area waiting for the Thames to go down, I'm starting to find it incredibly boring staying in one area. Because of a number of things I'm now more or less committed to staying here until about 22nd but if the Thames is still up on that date I will abandon the Thames trip for this year and go elsewhere (if I can still get back across the Cherwell!).

What is normally just a minor distraction when travelling (filling with water, emptying rubbish and sewage) now becomes a chore in that we are only moving the boat to carry out these activities. This all feels a bit like buying myself a Porsche and then only sitting on the driveway listening to the stereo with it. OK for a bit but a boat and a car are designed to move, otherwise they'd call them shedshuh.png

• Greenie 1

I only used that word to provoke a rise, as you realised perfectly well :D

I took a walk by the Thames at Redding (original spelling of the town name) today, and the river was calming down nicely. I'd have been happy to take either of my boats out on it today, so I don't think you have long to wait.

I only used that word to provoke a rise, as you realised perfectly well biggrin.png

I took a walk by the Thames at Redding (original spelling of the town name) today, and the river was calming down nicely. I'd have been happy to take either of my boats out on it today, so I don't think you have long to wait.

Hoping to go up to Lechlade but there are still 7 red boards between here and there, I'm not optimisticsad.png . Since I will be getting a weeks licence I'd like to take a week to do it (unless the river starts to rise again when it will be 'get off ASAP'). I have a commitment on 15th to be back off the river so if it hasn't dropped by this Friday the plans will be a bit b*ggered. Just have to wait in hope.

I'm getting really confused, have failed monumentally to notice all this supposed anti CCer posts or comments, there will always be the odd one or two in the same way that us marina based cruisers get the odd remark but to me it's water off a ducks back, who cares what the odd whinger says, I know I don't.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I'm getting really confused, have failed monumentally to notice all this supposed anti CCer posts or comments, there will always be the odd one or two in the same way that us marina based cruisers get the odd remark but to me it's water off a ducks back, who cares what the odd whinger says, I know I don't.

Phil

ME too. The posters complaining about anti-CCer posts can never quote one of provide a link to one when asked, so it has to be imagined.

• Greenie 1

And a CCer's boat is his home, that is the whole point of being one

For some people, maybe. For us, the point of being CCers was simply to avoid the cost of a mooring we had no use for (since we preferred to leave the boat on the towpath between weekend and holiday cruises, thus covering more ground in a year).

Could someone please explain CMers and... was it HMers? HE'ers (which I understand as Home Educators but..!) CC I know.

Just out of interest, if you did the whole length of a canal but back and forth, would that be continuously cruising, or not?

ME too. The posters complaining about anti-CCer posts can never quote one of provide a link to one when asked, so it has to be imagined.

Certain members seem to be notably snobbish towards boating as an affordable way to live.

In before the inevitable.

C'mon, don't be an idiot, if you have nothing constructive to say, there's always the option of not saying anything. rolleyes.gif

Edited by smileypete

Could someone please explain CMers and... was it HMers? HE'ers (which I understand as Home Educators but..!) CC I know.

Just out of interest, if you did the whole length of a canal but back and forth, would that be continuously cruising, or not?

Basically, there are two kinds of licence. CC (continuous cruiser) & HM (boat with Home Mooring). CM is a derogatory term for someone trying to get the best of both worlds i.e. paying for a CC licence but not moving much, thereby avoiding mooring fees but consequently peeing everyone else off.

There are some on this forum who use the term CM as a description of anyone they don't like the look of.

'CMers' is short for 'Continuous Moorers', which is a pejorative nickname for boaters who are 'officially' Continuous Cruisers - i.e. they don't have a home mooring - but who tend to moor continuously in the same spot, or at least the same local area, for long periods.

HMers, I guess, would mean 'Home Moorers', i.e. boaters with a home mooring.

There's no official definition of 'continuous cruising', so there's no definitive answer to the question of whether doing the whole length of a canal back and forth (presumably moving at least every 14 days) would constitute continuous cruising or not. I believe one forum member has a signature something like 'it is not possible to CC on one canal', so at least one person thinks the answer to your question is 'no'. Personally I think it would be ridiculous to deny that - say - someone leaving a winter mooring in Liverpool at the end of March, and cruising to Leeds and back (c. 250 miles) for the start of November, was continuously cruising.

• Greenie 2

Maybe it's worth adding that there's no legal requirement to 'continuously cruise' if you don't have a home mooring - the term is a relic of a now-defunct set of Ts & Cs, I believe. All you have to do is use your boat bona fide for navigation throughout the period of your licence.

What exactly that means is the subject of much debate (as I think you're by now aware!), but I don't think there's any question that someone cruising back and forth on a canal 125 miles long, 75 miles long, or probably even 25 miles long, would be accepted by CRT as cruising in line with legal requirements and Ts & Cs.

Yes, indeed there is.

Yeah was a bit harsh there but it does tick me off a bit sometimes.

Can someone explain why people need to say 'in before the lock' or what their motive is? rolleyes.gif

What exactly that means is the subject of much debate (as I think you're by now aware!), but I don't think there's any question that someone cruising back and forth on a canal 125 miles long, 75 miles long, or probably even 25 miles long, would be accepted by CRT as cruising in line with legal requirements and Ts & Cs.

Don't see why not myself, but it's up to CRT!

Would have thought in ye old days working botes would ply back and forth a particular canal as part of a delivery job.

And working boatmen (and women, children) lived on their botes, as an affordable and practical way to live. smile.png

Edited by smileypete

Puzzling. I've never noticed this. Got any examples?

My guess is they are jealous of the CC way of life.

That would be my guess as well, they are probably not brave enough to go for it ot there may be reasons why the couldn't take up the challenge of CCing.

Phil

I CCd for 3 years and often it did feel rather rootless. These days I have a mooring and as a live aboard boater the mooring provides me with a greater sense of belonging to a community (albeit a very small dysfunctional one!) If you can afford a mooring it offers the best of both worlds. You can go out on extended cruising trips but you always have the sense that you have somewhere to return to if you want. I think boat owners who live in houses have this too.

I CCd for 3 years and often it did feel rather rootless. These days I have a mooring and as a live aboard boater the mooring provides me with a greater sense of belonging to a community (albeit a very small dysfunctional one!) If you can afford a mooring it offers the best of both worlds. You can go out on extended cruising trips but you always have the sense that you have somewhere to return to if you want. I think boat owners who live in houses have this too.

I agree with you as I am a house owner. Best of both worlds :)