...don't feel like i belong anywhere...

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

Interesting, all these different reactions to 'life in motion'.

Having wandered about and lived in a variety of places there is a real sense that I feel like a global person rather than belonging to one place. But I have felt more at home (or felt more like I 'belong') in a boat on the inland waterways than anywhere else. There are a thousand reasons for this, but the countryside and boating people feature at the top of the list.

I find it exciting and interesting to keep moving around, experience different places while engaging in different things ... and even tackle different commutes to part-time work I like.

Paul Young - Wherever I lay my hat.

I realise that to some people, Paul's record seems like a golden oldie from a bygone era - but it was in fact a revival of a song written and recorded by the great Marvin Gaye some 20 years previously!

I have to say that I don't really get this 'belonging to anywhere' stuff. Why is there a need to narrow your scope or horizons? I feel part of the UK but I don't 'belong' to any part of it, I 'belong' to all of it.

Why would I want to 'belong' to just one street in it? or just one town? The slowness of travel on the waterways let's you get a feel for a lot more of the places that you visit then you'd ever get by sweeping around the periphery in a car or flashing through on a train. I now know my way around a lot of the towns. I know the short cuts through Warwick, Rugby,Liverpool, Birmingham,Nottingham (and many others) I know the good take-aways in Newark and Bedworth, the good butchers in Braunston (yes I know there is only onerolleyes.gif ), a cracking bakery in Bradford on Avon , a lot of decent pubs and a whole host of other useful stuff that makes you feel that you know somewhere. I know a lot more fellow travellers on boats than I know in the town in which I'd lived for the past 35 years (Torquay) and that is after only 3 years at it. Rarely a day goes past when we don't get engaged in conversation with someone either at a mooring or a lock somewhere.

To not feel a belonging to the canal system itself seems to me that the OP may have made a wrong choice. A boat is a means of travel not merely a house that happens to float. It is a nomadic lifestyle so it seems strange to take up such a lifestyle and then dislike moving, a bit like buying a house with a garden when you detest gardening.

I am a CC'r and I love it. I do not want to belong anywhere in particular. I feel I now belong to my boat and the waterways. :)

I CC and work in one fixed location. Moving twice in a month and having a walk back to get my car is no big deal for me as I get bored easily. It is certainly not a grind as Murflynn suggests :o

I am a CC'r and I love it. I do not want to belong anywhere in particular. I feel I now belong to my boat and the waterways. smile.png

I CC and work in one fixed location. Moving twice in a month and having a walk back to get my car is no big deal for me as I get bored easily. It is certainly not a grind as Murflynn suggests ohmy.png

er...... you say that you are a CCer, but then go on to say that you move (only?) once every 14 days, and don't travel far, so that it is close enough to walk back to your car.

that is not in the spirit of CCing, it is not bona fide navigation. To most people it would seem to be nothing more than strategic CMing.

• Greenie 1

er...... you say that you are a CCer, but then go on to say that you move (only?) once every 14 days, and don't travel far, so that it is close enough to walk back to your car.

that is not in the spirit of CCing, it is not bona fide navigation. To most people it would seem to be nothing more than strategic CMing.

It's what a helluvalot of CCers do though, and it's fully compliant with the law and CRT guidelines.

I've spent the winter on the K&A doing much the same (although I tend to move once a week) and there is a rump of about 20 boats appearing to do doing the same, I see them so often! And exactly the same on the stretch from Banbury to Oxford. A few dozen fully compliant CCers who are always there.

(Spelling ejit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

Well the OP keeps coming back to CWF but not commenting here.

With the CCing thing I think we are really talking lifestyle not regulation. To travel the waterways not having any spot to call home is much different to travelling a 30 mile stretch.

I tend to move about once a week. What I am saying is that to have to move every 14 days is no big deal. Moving to a different "place" as stated by CRT is not too far for me to walk back for my car. I am able to walk from one town to another. I do not see how this could be considered strategic CM'ing. In the essence of the thread how can I belong anywhere if I travel into Derbyshire, Cheshire East and West, Staffordshire and Shropshire? :o

I am not bridge hopping and am making a genuine journey, as there are places I want to travel to.

I suggest you leave the judging to CRT wink.png

Edited by Jamm
  • Greenie 1

I realise that to some people, Paul's record seems like a golden oldie from a bygone era - but it was in fact a revival of a song written and recorded by the great Marvin Gaye some 20 years previously!

I shall have to look it up. Thanks for broadening my musical knowledge :cheers:

I have to say that I don't really get this 'belonging to anywhere' stuff. Why is there a need to narrow your scope or horizons? I feel part of the UK but I don't 'belong' to any part of it, I 'belong' to all of it.

Why would I want to 'belong' to just one street in it? or just one town? The slowness of travel on the waterways let's you get a feel for a lot more of the places that you visit then you'd ever get by sweeping around the periphery in a car or flashing through on a train. ...

I don't feel I belong to any place. It's more a feeling of belonging in a place.

And I feel this most living on a boat in the inland waterways. Whereas I never really felt this in a bunch of south London suburbs over a 25 year period!

It must have a lot to do with feeling comfortable amongst like-minded folk.

Who appointed you as the distance adjudicator? If he's moving about, he's playing the game.

Since the start of my current license in November, I've moved back and forth between Marsworth on the GU, and Fenny Compton on the Oxford, but because I'm a CCer who works, I keep having to defend myself against prats who assume I hop around one area. I move because I like moving about, not to satisfy any little Hitler's idea of what a CCer's obligations are. If needs be, I'll have no qualms about moving about in one area for a time.

If you're not hogging a spot longer than 14 days, you shouldn't have to apologise to the anti-CC mob, whether you move one mile or twenty.

So is it time for another debate about where the boundary lies between a CCer and CMer?

I propose that anyone cruising in accordance with CRT guidelines and not receiving communications from CRT suggesting a need to review their 'cruising pattern', is a CCer. Anyone mooring for more than 14 days (or exceeding the signage when shorter time limits apply) is CMer.

Unless they have permission from CRT that is ( ninja.gifninja.gifninja.gif )

Gwydion, I rather think you over estimate the number of anti CCers, honestly there aren't that many.

Phil (marina dwelling cruiser)

Are there any? What is there to be anti?

Perhaps Gwydion means anti-CMers...

Are there any? What is there to be anti?

Perhaps Gwydion means anti-CMers...

I think not. I notice CCers occasionally commenting about anti-CC attitudes on here.

I think some have a persecution complex because I never notice anti-CCer sentiments posted, but certain CCers definitely perceive that they are persecuted.

I think not. I notice CCers occasionally commenting about anti-CC attitudes on here.

I think some have a persecution complex because I never notice anti-CCer sentiments posted, but certain CCers definitely perceive that they are persecuted.

Do you think that part of it may be envy?

Yes. I reckon most HMers would love to CC, and the CCers who perceive the non-existent persecution, wish they had a residential mooring!

I don't. I didn't get a boat to be tied to one place.

I'm just getting annoyed lately with this snot-nosed witch hunt against CCers based on how far they move around. Certain people are using it as a stick to hit others with, and there are those unwilling to distinguish between a genuine CCer and one of the Boats Are Homes brigade.