...don't feel like i belong anywhere...

one of the hidden

Featured Posts

Not quite sure of what point the OP is trying to make.

I know several CCers who enjoy their life on the canals and have no problem with feeling they belong.

However, I know a few who like to think they are CCers, but can't understand why C&RT, other boaters and the world in general seem to have it in for them.

I'll leave it to the good reader to understand the distinction between the two...

I imagine that there is nothing so disorientating as being licensed as a CCer, having a job in a fixed location, and constantly moving about, trying desperately to find a suitable mooring, in order to try to comply. That's not a life, it's a grind.

For which the answer is so simple it beggars belief....

GET A HOUSE.

(I bet you thought I was gonna say 'get a mooring' didn't you!)

• Greenie 2

We are the opposite, we feel like we have lots of homes and look forward to visiting them.

We do have a sort of cruising (migration) pattern, winters on the K&A, summers midlands and North.

Its really nice to arrive somewhere and know exactly where the good shops and pubs are, and in a few places people even recognise us though we've been away for almost a year.

"Homes " were we belong include

Kintbury Hungerford Bedwyn Pewsey Devizes, Bristol, a bit less so at Bradford on Avon and Bath.

Banbury, Cropredy, Braunston, Birmingham (always a good welcome) Stone, Parbold, Liverpool, maybe Manchester.

A couple of new ones added each year.

...............Dave

Id say you belong somewhere more than anyone who rent's a place....Living in a building owned by someone else, that you cringe every time your kid damages something, or (if you were me), cringing when your father in law tried cleaning your car engine and ended up spraying hot rusty water all over the landlords newly tarred drive, and staining it, or when your brother in law arrived and made it worse by spraying the patch with black spraypaint...lol....

at least if I scratch my boat , it's my boat, and I don't care. In the big picture..that's more "belonging" to me

To me that is the main attraction of CC'ing.

Not quite sure of what point the OP is trying to make.

For which the answer is so simple it beggars belief.... GET A HOUSE.

I am also not sure what this thread is trying to get at?
What are you actaully saying one-of-the-hidden?

Daniel

I took the meaning to be "As a CCer I am now being forced by CRT to keep moving around and I resent that. I want to stay in one place so i can feel I belong somewhere." Hence my suggestion to get a house. (A mooring seemed a bit obvious.)

If I'm wrong perhaps one-of-the-hidden could expand upon what s/he meant...

I took the meaning to be "As a CCer I am now being forced by CRT to keep moving around and I resent that. I want to stay in one place so i can feel I belong somewhere." Hence my suggestion to get a house. (A mooring seemed a bit obvious.)

If I'm wrong perhaps one-of-the-hidden could expand upon what s/he meant...

I think you are trying to read too much into it

Bit like being a old style gypsy with horse pulled caravan who wanders..did they ever belong anywhere?..did they feel the need to?

One of my sons has chosen to wander and doss on peoples floors..never in one place long but does the same large circuit..a cc on land..his choice..he doesn't really belong anywhere either.

Bit like being a old style gypsy with horse pulled caravan who wanders..did they ever belong anywhere?..did they feel the need to?

One of my sons has chosen to wander and doss on peoples floors..never in one place long but does the same large circuit..a cc on land..his choice..he doesn't really belong anywhere either.

I find those people are often the ones with very interesting life stories...

Like Dean, I took the original post to be an observation on the nature of long-distance CCing. It's something I'd love to do one day (if I didn't have a full time fixed-location job) but have wondered whether one feels rootless. I enjoy feeling part of my community - permanent neighbours, a good local pub where we know many people, a voluntary job nearby, family in the borough.

It's been my impression, however, that living on the cut can provide something similar. Certainly, on our travels, we've made short-term friends and longer term buddies, revisited places we've enjoyed, and felt accepted into the wider boating community.

Interesting to hear other CCers' take on it :) OP, what's your experience?

I imagine that there is nothing so disorientating as being licensed as a CCer, having a job in a fixed location, and constantly moving about, trying desperately to find a suitable mooring, in order to try to comply. That's not a life, it's a grind.

I couldn't disagree more. Moving around is the perfect antidote to the drudgery of work. Both myself and my wife work and we stay within an hours drive to work which means we can cover a large area. We move because we want to not because we have to. How can waking up to a different view every few days be a grind?

I couldn't disagree more. Moving around is the perfect antidote to the drudgery of work. Both myself and my wife work and we stay within an hours drive to work which means we can cover a large area. We move because we want to not because we have to. How can waking up to a different view every few days be a grind?

Therein lies the difference between yourselves and the people I was describing.