Fishermen reserving the bank?

Silebyman

Featured Posts

You do realise that all but major roads are built and maintained out of council budgets to which cyclists contribute as much as motorists?

You know precisely what I am talking about so do not talk such utter rubbish. Talk about splitting hairs. It's exactly people like you that will not allow things to become amicable on the canals nor on the roads. I do realise that cyclists pay taxes like everyone else. They do not pay road tax and neither do they, generally, pay for insurance so if they hit me and damage my vehicle or kill me whjen they are riding on the pavement then either me or my family have to pay for that ourselves.

You know precisely what I am talking about so do not talk such utter rubbish. Talk about splitting hairs. It's exactly people like you that will not allow things to become amicable on the canals nor on the roads. I do realise that cyclists pay taxes like everyone else. They do not pay road tax and neither do they, generally, pay for insurance so if they hit me and damage my vehicle or kill me whjen they are riding on the pavement then either me or my family have to pay for that ourselves.

They do not pay road tax because they very rarely use roads that are funded by central government. Mosy household insurance policies cover cyclists.

It is you with your anti cyclist rhetoric that prevents things becoming amicable on the roads.

• Greenie 1

I'm normally fairly chilled about fishermen. If they want spend hundreds of pounds on carbon fibre to catch a 1/2 inch long fish, that's up to them.

It seems that whenever there is a match on the normal happy to nod hello types get replaced with grumpy gits.

I didn't get a nod off any of them , and I was looking carefully for hooks near my head as the rods were getting lifted the bare minimum to allow me to pass underneath.

The boater behind me in a cruiser was getting bawled at too for not keeping to the exact middle of the channel..

They do not pay road tax because they very rarely use roads that are funded by central government.

Let me see if I am following this correctly.

Most roads are financed by the local councils.

Cyclists don't pay road tax because they are suing these roads which aren't financed by government.

So the little old lady who only uses the car for trips from the village into the local town is using the same roads not financed by central government.

You can see where this is leading can't you?

You do realise that all but major roads are built and maintained out of council budgets to which cyclists contribute as much as motorists?

Whilst I disagree with you on that point, there is still the fact that a great many of them think that red lights are just left over Christmas decorations and the rules of the road don't apply to them. Just today I was stopped at a pedestrian crossing for the red light and a cyclist just rode straight though They're urban terrorist I tell you!

Bob

I'm normally fairly chilled about fishermen. If they want spend hundreds of pounds on carbon fibre to catch a 1/2 inch long fish, that's up to them.

It seems that whenever there is a match on the normal happy to nod hello types get replaced with grumpy gits.

I didn't get a nod off any of them , and I was looking carefully for hooks near my head as the rods were getting lifted the bare minimum to allow me to pass underneath.

The boater behind me in a cruiser was getting bawled at too for not keeping to the exact middle of the channel..

That is because there is normally a lot of money involved

Whilst I disagree with you on that point, there is still the fact that a great many of them think that red lights are just left over Christmas decorations and the rules of the road don't apply to them. Just today I was stopped at a pedestrian crossing for the red light and a cyclist just rode straight though They're urban terrorist I tell you!

Bob

Just today I was waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing the lights turned red stopping traffic. I stepped into the road to cross and had to step back smartly when a car, whose driver obviously thought that he was excused red lights came steaming through,

Now I don't know about you but I'd rather take my chances with a bike about 18 inches wide and travelling at ten miles an hour than a car about six feet wide and travelling at forty miles an hour.

I see that you've changed your parameters now to only include anti social cyclist's who we are all a little fed up with.

I see that you've changed your parameters now to only include anti social cyclist's who we are all a little fed up with.

Sorry about this rant being off topicsmiley_offtopic.gif but my experience on tow path and road leads me to believe that there is a majority of cyclists who are just plain arrogant or anti social.

Bob

• Greenie 2

Sorry about this rant being off topicsmiley_offtopic.gif but my experience on tow path and road leads me to believe that there is a majority of cyclists who are just plain arrogant or anti social.

Bob

Well I suppose I could just ignore all the drivers who never intrude on my space or otherwise pass by unnoticed I too could claim that the majority of drivers are just arrogant or anti social.

I'm not sure that anybody does these days. I pay Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for my car and as far as I know it is not ring fenced to pay for roads

Anth

When will it get through to people that there is no such thing as Road Tax, check out Winston Churchil who set up vehicle excise licencing saying this is not a tax for using the roads otherwise motorists will start beleiving they have more right to be on the roads.

But just say for instance there was this mythical road tax and cyclists have to pay which band would they be included in? Maybe the same as say a Prius - oh gosh then they would pay nothing. Great way to spend our tax money expand a gov department by 100's ? to collect zero, gtreat idea.

Please think things through instead of blind prejudice.

As for insurance can't disagree as I have insurance along with 1000's of others in CTC. And please remember cyclists are people with all the foibles that go with people.

http://ipayroadtax.com/no-such-thing-as-road-tax/bring-back-the-road-fund/

Meant to go with the last post - quote from Winston

Please don't call them bikers, they're cyclists. I do agree about them being a free-loading bunch of middle-aged men in tights with reflecting sunglasses? I consider myself to be a proper old-fashioned cycle tourist and do not associate with these downright rude speed-merchants-with-2-pedals.

Just noticed that was the old British Waterways code. Under the CRT rules the anglers don't have to be polite anymore!!

"Keep to the centre of the channel when passing anglers – unless they ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace"

Then we will have to shout to them: "Are you going to ask nicely?"

You can see where this is leading can't you?

Can I guess?

1. Why should we pay taxes for other people's kids to get an education?

2. Why should we pay taxes for smokers who give themselves lung cancer, and skiers who break their legs on the slopes, to get medical treatment in our hospitals?

3. Why should we pay taxes to Peel Holdings so they can become rich and claim the Bridgewater Canal is theirs? (oops, wrong thread?!!)

I noticed Tim and Pru rammed a lock gate again last night. It doesn't mean all boaters do it.

Now that CRT know who dun it, they can charge the guilty ones for repairs, eh?

Thanks for informing! ;)

are they suing because of potholes or lack of cycle lanes?

They're suing because their lycra tights are too tight.

Can I guess?

1. Why should we pay taxes for other people's kids to get an education?

2. Why should we pay taxes for smokers who give themselves lung cancer, and skiers who break their legs on the slopes, to get medical treatment in our hospitals?

3. Why should we pay taxes to Peel Holdings so they can become rich and claim the Bridgewater Canal is theirs? (oops, wrong thread?!!)

No merely that the argument cyclists don't use roads paid for by government is a bit leaky as the "little old lady" equally doesn't so shouldn't pay "Road Tax".

N.B. For those getting hot under the collar about people calling it road tax don't you every use colloquialisms? It has been called "Road Tax" by everyone I have every know apart from the odd pedant.

No merely that the argument cyclists don't use roads paid for by government is a bit leaky as the "little old lady" equally doesn't so shouldn't pay "Road Tax".

How leaky is it compared with cars over a certain age not paying duty or cars using some fuels either paying reduced or no tax?

How leaky is it compared with cars over a certain age not paying duty or cars using some fuels either paying reduced or no tax?

Those aren't a direct comparison. It was stated that roads were not paid for by central government and therefore as cyclists didn't use roads paid for by central government they didn't need to pay "Road Tax" (NB pedants please see the inverted commas meaning this is a colloquialism).

Therefore a motorist who does exactly the same shouldn't pay the tax. That is the leaky part, nobody I have come across would suggest/accept that argument.

Those aren't a direct comparison. It was stated that roads were not paid for by central government and therefore as cyclists didn't use roads paid for by central government they didn't need to pay "Road Tax" (NB pedants please see the inverted commas meaning this is a colloquialism).

Therefore a motorist who does exactly the same shouldn't pay the tax. That is the leaky part, nobody I have come across would suggest/accept that argument.

My point was that because roads aren't maintained out of road tax but local council tax cyclists contribute as much to their support as motorists.

In that respect they are not free loaders.

I feel it is all a question of respecting other road/ canal users. However:

When I were a lad I rode with the Prestwich Wheelers. we were taught to ride in a straight line, elbows and knees in tp offer a minimum frontal area. we were allowed to be abreast only when clear of other road users, and we rode out of the road. this was 1965.

Now the cyclists round Middlewich ride two abreast, occupying half the road, weaving all over the carriageway. They don't allow any other road users any right of way.They ride through red lights, prevent overtaking near roundabouts and block off T junctions.

On Portland Street Manchester last January I was a pedestrian at a cross road, the lights were in my favour and as I stepped off the kerb I was struck by a cyclist. He knocked me to the ground. He then accused me of damaging his machine!!!

They have to be brought to order.

M..