Fishermen reserving the bank?

Silebyman

Featured Posts

As i understand it, if you are already moored there before they "peg out" you can stay there and they will go around you, if you arrive after they have "pegged out" you will be asked to move, now whether you move or not is upto you, but i have always found them to be reasonable and usually peg around you.

Not a chance. I saw and heard the organisers of a national fishing match at Penkridge telling the German crew of a hire boat that they had to vacate their visitor mooring (the end mooring) to vacate by 05.30 so they could peg. I heard the hire boat go and think they got knocked up. They were also very rude to myself and other boaters who were just going about their daily routines.

Not a chance. I saw and heard the organisers of a national fishing match at Penkridge telling the German crew of a hire boat that they had to vacate their visitor mooring (the end mooring) to vacate by 05.30 so they could peg. I heard the hire boat go and think they got knocked up. They were also very rude to myself and other boaters who were just going about their daily routines.

I'm afraid if they were rude to me in that way my hire boat would develop a mysterious engine fault....

I once encountered signs put up by anglers closing the navigation for a match.

I can mimick being a foreign hire boater who can't read much English if needed.....

If we'd have been in Penkridge, we would have had a change of plans for the day, and stayed till 10am

Torksey Lock River Trent/Fossdyke Navigation ninja.gif

ExfeThZh.jpg

If someone is feeling entrepreneurial, how about selling T-shirts with that Torksey lock sign on.

Edited by MHS
  • Greenie 2

• Fishing must not take place within 25 metres of a lock approach, swing bridge or water point.
  • No fishing between boats on permanent towing path moorings or at visitor moorings where so signed.
  • Where visitor moorings are not signed as to whether fishing is permitted, its is assumed that during the boating season those wishing to moor have priority, at other times access will be on a first come first served basis.
  • Anglers are requested to follow the spirit of the Waterways Code and act responsibly at all times.

This begs another question - when is "the boating season" There is no definition provided!

Surely that would depend on if somebody stocks the water or not wouldn't it?

To comply with "property" for the Theft Act, wild animals must have been rendered into captivity.

Without looking up case stated, I would imagine releasing the fish into the wild negates that captivity which is why the offence of poaching exists, creating a different offence.

George ex nb Alton retired

It also begs the question of who enforces it. In my example the (then) BW offices were closed until Monday. There is now way CaRT have the staff or resources to enforce it so (or is that political?) in my view its up to the fishing clubs holding the leases for their lengths and adjoining stretches to enforce it against their own and other anglers. This needs writing into each renewed contract/lease with boaters reporting violations to CaRT. CaRT then inform the club with a three strikes and you lose the lease type policy. That way the boaters do not have to contact the clubs and should not feel so intimidated.

And that is precisely why I am leaving the canals and selling my boat. On the Selby canal there are permanent pegs at the top end of the canal. There are also pontoons every few yards. which would actually prevent you from mooring anywhere on that stretch even if the pegs are not being used, not that the Selby Canal is particularly easy to moor on anywhere except the top and bottom ends anyway but that is not really the point. I have been abused verbally by fishermen on that stretch and all I was doing was proceeding at a slow pace down the canal. It would seem to me that people who contribute nothing or very little to the upkeep of the canals get the highest priority from C&RT. I am still of the firm belief that the C&RT would love to see the demise of boaters on all the canals in the country. That, obviously, cannot happen because we do pay such a massive amount into their coffers and if all the people living on boats went then the various local councils would have an impossible task trying to house these people so the uneasy standoff between boaters and C&RT remains for the time being. I was thinking about buying a caravan, just like another poster on here, when I sell my boat but to be honest the roads, especially up here in Yorkshire, are being taken over by bikers, another minority user who contribute little or nothing to the upkeep of our roads, who ride three and four, or more, abreast putting my life in mortal danger when I have to avoid them. So caravanning is now off the list. I do not know what the solution is. I do know that if boaters, for instance, get more of a priority then some would, without doubt, abuse that privilege basically making them no better than fishermen, bikers and walkers who do the same thing now. I, also know that boaters abuse the other users now so we are not immune from the critiscism. The solution, as I see it, is that we all have to live with each other the Canal and River Trust, as the governing body, have the duty to ensure that that happens. As I cannot see that happening in any way shape or form in the forseeable future I'm off probably to shut myself away for the rest of my days.

• Fishing must not take place within 25 metres of a lock approach, swing bridge or water point.
  • No fishing between boats on permanent towing path moorings or at visitor moorings where so signed.
  • Where visitor moorings are not signed as to whether fishing is permitted, its is assumed that during the boating season those wishing to moor have priority, at other times access will be on a first come first served basis.
  • Anglers are requested to follow the spirit of the Waterways Code and act responsibly at all times.

This begs another question - when is "the boating season" There is no definition provided!

On those grounds I think a complaint to the local CaRT office is needed, pronto!!

Perhaps we should all carry a copy of the Waterways Code to hand out.

Jan 1st to Dec 31st biggrin.png

On those grounds I think a complaint to the local CaRT office is needed, pronto!!

Perhaps we should all carry a copy of the Waterways Code to hand out.

Will you now apologise to Sue Cawson on the NUG Facebook group when she stated the same and you were questioning it and asking for evidence in an abrupt manor?

As the navigation officer for the HNBC she does know her stuff.....she's also been on the cut for quite some time.

Of course if that Graham Davis wasn't you I do apologise.

Cheers

Gareth

Mal in Somerset, on 21 Mar 2016 - 09:06 AM, said:

Unfortunately I don't think much if not all of that applies during a 'match'.

Casual angling yes, but if an official 'match' has been set up and pegged out I think that the normal 'anglers give way to boaters' goes out the window. My understanding is that is one of the reasons why they have a 'match' set up.

That said they are as far as I know still not supposed to peg out on things like water points and bridge approaches (not that that prevents it happening on occasions of course).

Do you mean twice?

I can mimick being a foreign hire boater who can't read much English if needed.....

Have u ever considered bringing your own foreigner like wot I do ? ;)

Surely the same as the 'licence season' = 365 days of the year (unless it's a leap year)

That said they are as far as I know still not supposed to peg out on things like water points and bridge approaches (not that that prevents it happening on occasions of course).

The local angling club always pegged out to within 70ft of the swing bridge as instructed by BW.

I told them and better told them that a 71' 6" boat cannot cruise up to the bridge then crab sideways onto the landing, leaving the last angler undisturbed.

Nothing ever changed but I wasn't very popular on multiple trips with the restaurant boat.

George ex nb Alton retired

I usually chat to fishermen and go into neutral when passing their exact fishing point. Some ask me to churn it up a bit but not many.

I can remember taking what seemed like half a lifetime going round Loughborough when a match was on. I can't see how anybody can complain about you going past a match as long as you're going the same speed and the same distance out from the bank for all of them.

I do tend to wind them up a bit by telling them how well the blokes three hundred yards back were doing.

And that is precisely why I am leaving the canals and selling my boat. On the Selby canal there are permanent pegs at the top end of the canal. There are also pontoons every few yards. which would actually prevent you from mooring anywhere on that stretch even if the pegs are not being used, not that the Selby Canal is particularly easy to moor on anywhere except the top and bottom ends anyway but that is not really the point. I have been abused verbally by fishermen on that stretch and all I was doing was proceeding at a slow pace down the canal. It would seem to me that people who contribute nothing or very little to the upkeep of the canals get the highest priority from C&RT. I am still of the firm belief that the C&RT would love to see the demise of boaters on all the canals in the country. That, obviously, cannot happen because we do pay such a massive amount into their coffers and if all the people living on boats went then the various local councils would have an impossible task trying to house these people so the uneasy standoff between boaters and C&RT remains for the time being. I was thinking about buying a caravan, just like another poster on here, when I sell my boat but to be honest the roads, especially up here in Yorkshire, are being taken over by bikers, another minority user who contribute little or nothing to the upkeep of our roads, who ride three and four, or more, abreast putting my life in mortal danger when I have to avoid them. So caravanning is now off the list. I do not know what the solution is. I do know that if boaters, for instance, get more of a priority then some would, without doubt, abuse that privilege basically making them no better than fishermen, bikers and walkers who do the same thing now. I, also know that boaters abuse the other users now so we are not immune from the critiscism. The solution, as I see it, is that we all have to live with each other the Canal and River Trust, as the governing body, have the duty to ensure that that happens. As I cannot see that happening in any way shape or form in the forseeable future I'm off probably to shut myself away for the rest of my days.

Please don't call them bikers, they're cyclists. I do agree about them being a free-loading bunch of ******* who seem to break nearly all the rules of the road but get away with it.judge.gif

Cor, that feel better now!icecream.gif

Bob

Bob

I usually chat to fishermen and go into neutral when passing their exact fishing point.

Well, you're breaching the Waterways Code then!!3131stop.gif

"When passing anglers, unless they politely request otherwise, keep to the centre of the channel, reduce your wash but maintain a steady pace"argue.gif

Just noticed that was the old British Waterways code. Under the CRT rules the anglers don't have to be polite anymore!!

"Keep to the centre of the channel when passing anglers – unless they ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace"judge.gif

Edited by Mal in Somerset

Please don't call them bikers, they're cyclists. I do agree about them being a free-loading bunch of ******* who seem to break nearly all the rules of the road but get away with it.judge.gif

You do realise that all but major roads are built and maintained out of council budgets to which cyclists contribute as much as motorists?

• Greenie 1