Fishermen reserving the bank?

Silebyman

Featured Posts

There was a match going on rods in Loughborough today. Fishermen every 30 feet for a couple of miles.

The dog though was busting for a pee. So I put the stern in between 2 pitches just so my wife could jump off with the dog

I was told quite 'firmly' that the bank was reserved today and no boats were allowed to stop! I then got a torrent of abuse when I set off again.

Ordinarily I'd treat it as rubbish but there isn't some secret rule I've never heard of is there??

It is probably reserved, but only against 'pleasure fishermen' just turning up and fishing, I had the same experience but it got a bit carried away and the fishermen were firing 'boilies' (little round malteser things for carp) from catapults, ended up with dozens of the things on the side decks and the dog thought it was great fun chasing them before they went down the scuppers - very tasty for a dog as well, maggots weren't so good though.

Last weekend (Sunday) there was a fishing match on the Shroppie at Barbridge. They occupied the whole length of the visitor moorings from the narrows to Bridge 100. I wasn't planning on stopping so didn't challenge it, but I wonder how many were put off - business lost to the Pub?

If they were there first in a place where fishing is allowed, then you can't expect them to move. They have just as much right to be there as you, so it is first come first serve. If it was an organised competition, which it sounds like it was, they have probably paid to use that stretch on that day, so it would be reserved for them.

If they were there first in a place where fishing is allowed, then you can't expect them to move. They have just as much right to be there as you, so it is first come first serve. If it was an organised competition, which it sounds like it was, they have probably paid to use that stretch on that day, so it would be reserved for them.

Unless the rules have changed then I believe you can ask them to move. If they are on a visitor mooring and its the last available space on that mooring then they should move.

...............Dave

Yes, the bank can be reserved for a fishing match. Also I have to question the distance, every 30ft for 2 miles???? No bridgeholes? You could have stopped in one and got on another.

This distance is correct, happens a couple of times a year in Loughborough - major national competition fishing match.

I was moored there a few years ago, and they told me I had to move between the pitches as they were using every second one.

I said I cant, and they said I had to. I had to explain that a 70 foot boat could not fit between two pitches 60 feet apart, which confused them .

They also had warning signs made and put these down the towpath from Pillings Lock to Belton Road Lock. Some of these signs went missing prior to the competition.

The match happened at 7am and by 2pm, they had all gone.

Last time I came through Autherley Junction there was a fishing match on and there were fisherman for at least 2 miles maybe even further, then the next day another match with the same fisherman the other side of Brewood so I had to pass them all again. They were friendly though and joked about seeing me the day before.

I was also getting whistled at and they were indicating which side of the canal I was allowed to cruise on. I wasn't feeling that charitable by that time so I adopted the "you whistle at me, you must have me confused with a dog. " and completely ignored them.

Had a similar experience further up the soar last autumn and wasn't permitted to sleep the night where we wanted.

I was also getting whistled at and they were indicating which side of the canal I was allowed to cruise on. I wasn't feeling that charitable by that time so I adopted the "you whistle at me, you must have me confused with a dog. " and completely ignored them.

Had a similar experience further up the soar last autumn and wasn't permitted to sleep the night where we wanted.

Maybe not "allowed" but which side they preferred.

I find slow down as you approach the first worm drowner and ask which side they would like me to use and do they want me to drift through or churn things up a bit works

Maybe not "allowed" but which side they preferred.

I find slow down as you approach the first worm drowner and ask which side they would like me to use and do they want me to drift through or churn things up a bit works

A sensible approach. I treat fishermen like moored boats - dead slow and dead centre unless they indicate otherwise in which case I travel on the side and at the speed they suggest. We all have to share the canal and its no skin off my note to minimise the disruption to their sport.

Fish don't belong to anyone - just as other wildlife doesn't. Domesticated animals may belong to someone; and fish in a fishery or lake. But not in canals or rivers.

But you can still get done for poaching both on the canal and the river

Fish don't belong to anyone - just as other wildlife doesn't. Domesticated animals may belong to someone; and fish in a fishery or lake. But not in canals or rivers.

Surely that would depend on if somebody stocks the water or not wouldn't it?

As i understand it, if you are already moored there before they "peg out" you can stay there and they will go around you, if you arrive after they have "pegged out" you will be asked to move, now whether you move or not is upto you, but i have always found them to be reasonable and usually peg around you.

Edited by GoodGurl

As i understand it, if you are already moored there before they "peg out" you can stay there and they will go around you, if you arrive after they have "pegged out" you will be asked to move, now whether you move or not is upto you, but i have always found them to be reasonable and usually peg around you.

However I have seen places where pegs are permanently marked either on trees or if on a durable edge in paint on the edge. This I think would make them unlikely to peg round you.

You'd be as gutted as a fish if you came to compete and found out your place on the bank had a boat moored on it so you couldn't even see the canal. I don't think I've ever seen 2 miles of canal without a boat moored on it (except the Droitwich), and 320 fishermen in one competition (thus making 30' spaced positions all full), I guess if they have permanently set them out then there's more positions than competitors so they should be able to work around obstructions (like moored boats with no prospect of getting them moved). After all what would happen if the boat is unattended?