Bridgewater canal charges

Barge Venus

Featured Posts

Not true, there is a reciprocal agreement in place.

You are correct Paul. I should have said "to sail on most of CaRT waters"

Bridgewater boaters can cruise to Harecastle Tunnel, Barbridge Junction, Blackburn Locks and Burscough without paying CaRT fees.

At present an extra 7 days has been granted to cruise the Liverpool Link but this may be changed in the future.

Steve

If CRT licensed boaters have the right to transit the Bridgewater Canal then I can't see much of an advantage for CRT to take over the canal. It would incur a significant increase in maintenance costs along with the risk of major damage through subsidence, but very little in the way of revenue. My guess is CRT are content with the status quo.

Actually the only overstayers I've seen on the BW have been those in Castlefield. Now they've gone and made it unpleasant for every genuine visitor bu having a crazy man banging on boats, while completely ignoring the boats in Castlefield altogether.....

I've recently cruised the entire length of the Bridgewater and agree there don't appear to be many overstayers, unlike our last visit two years ago. So perhaps the new Peel enforcement officer is being effective, albeit unpopular!

There are no locks to maintain though. Main stumbling block would be the mines and ownership of the swing aquaduct.

If you take the trip down the MSC on Snowdrop you will recognise that the upper reaches are barely maintained due to lack of income from them.

That might change once Peel Port gets going properly.

Well there was that big purple thing (!) that stayed a week at the Trafford Centre last year ...

Actually, that's when I was trying to meet with Peter Parkinson. I had a meeting, which was cancelled, and stayed the weekend to meet on Monday, went into their very fancy foyer with gold drippings, wearing my best shoes (and still feeling very underdressed), only to be told he was too busy that day...:) I did get permission to stay a few days, but eventually left the BW completely and haven't been back :)

When we came this way two years ago finding a good mooring at places like Lymm was difficult. This time there was plenty of space. Having just cruised the Bridgewater Canal I did notice there were approximately six boats on CRT water just before Preston Brook, also above the bottom lock on the Rochdale and at Plank Lane west of Leigh. I assume some of these were chased off the Bridgewater and I guess CRT will now start to track them.

We arrived at Castlefield today, having arrived on the Bridgewater yesterday and spent the first night at Lymm. The white NB that has been here for 8 years is still in the arm outside the Y Club. We passed a boat at Little Bollington that was there last July when we came through. So far nobody has bothered me and I wouldn't expect them to unless I overstay, but I'll be back on C&RT waters by Thursday.

Edited by journeyperson

Which Acts govern it?

1 The Manchester Ship Canal (Bridgewater Canal) Act 1907

2 The Bridgewater Canal Bye-laws 1961

3 The Port of Manchester Navigation Bye-laws 1982

4 The Manchester Ship Canal Act 1960

There's also The Bridgewater Canal (Transfer of Undertaking) Order 2012

When we came this way two years ago finding a good mooring at places like Lymm was difficult. This time there was plenty of space. Having just cruised the Bridgewater Canal I did notice there were approximately six boats on CRT water just before Preston Brook, also above the bottom lock on the Rochdale and at Plank Lane west of Leigh. I assume some of these were chased off the Bridgewater and I guess CRT will now start to track them.

I think we can all track them! Just go to Google Maps and click on 'satellite view'! Heh!

We arrived at Castlefield today, having arrived on the Bridgewater yesterday and spent the first night at Lymm. The white NB that has been here for 8 years is still in the arm outside the Y Club. We passed a boat at Little Bollington that was there last July when we came through. So far nobody has bothered me and I wouldn't expect them to unless I overstay, but I'll be back on C&RT waters by Thursday.

Some boats have permission to stay in the arm and are paying mooring fees.

Steve

1 The Manchester Ship Canal (Bridgewater Canal) Act 1907

2 The Bridgewater Canal Bye-laws 1961

3 The Port of Manchester Navigation Bye-laws 1982

4 The Manchester Ship Canal Act 1960

There's also The Bridgewater Canal (Transfer of Undertaking) Order 2012

I think the Communist Party of China tends to ignore these fineries:

"At one end of the spectrum are Chinese state-owned investors such as China General Nuclear Power Group, which will take a one-third stake in the French utility EDF’s project to build a £16bn atomic power station in southwest England.

These companies are effectively arms of the Chinese state which enjoy access to cheap credit from state banks and the full backing of the ruling Communist party."

From here: http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f6e8dda8-582f-11e3-82fc-00144feabdc0.html#axzz43ZIOLbIu

It's murkier than the Mersey itself !!!

Steve

Thanks, I've always wondered why those boats were able to stay. But Castlefield isn't one of the listed mooring locations for Bridgewater Canal licence holders is it? It wasn't on the list when I moored on the Bridgewater.

Steve

I thought that was just the arms by the yha?....or is it in the grocers arm too? I find it slightly bizzare that permanent moorings are allowed somewhere where there is a shortage of good safe visitor moorings.....they don't exactly add to the welcome!

Cheers

Gareth

I thought that was just the arms by the yha?....or is it in the grocers arm too? I find it slightly bizzare that permanent moorings are allowed somewhere where there is a shortage of good safe visitor moorings.....they don't exactly add to the welcome!

Cheers

Gareth

But why should they welcome you, do they really want us there

But why should they welcome you, do they really want us there

Probably not....but I can't help feeling that the space they take up might be better as true visitor moorings. Every time I have moored there it's been full to the rafters. Still seems strange they are allowed when others get moaned at as soon as they moor up.

Cheers

Gareth

Probably not....but I can't help feeling that the space they take up might be better as true visitor moorings. Every time I have moored there it's been full to the rafters. Still seems strange they are allowed when others get moaned at as soon as they moor up.

Cheers

Gareth

...But if they're able to sell (charge for) moorings there, it would make financial sense to do that, than keep it free as a (free) visitor mooring.