Bridgewater canal charges

Barge Venus

Featured Posts

I have been told by my friend that peel holding are trying to charge people £40 a week to sail there canal . My friends where moored at the back of the Trafford centre in Manchester waiting for the Barton aqueduct to open when they was asked to pay £40 to peel holding . Is this going to be the norm from now on? . If it is going to be the norm should CRT do the same if boats with there licences wish to sail off there canal

There is a reciprocal agreement that allows for 7 days on the Bridgewater for CRT licence holders. From the bridgewatercanal.co.uk website...

information for Canal & River Trust Licence Holders visiting the Bridgewater Canal

All C&RT craft are subject to the terms and conditions of the Bridgewater Canal whilst they remain on our waterway.

C&RT licence holders may remain on the Bridgewater Canal for periods not exceeding seven consecutive days.

C&RT craft wishing to extend beyond the 7 day reciprocal arrangement period must obtain a temporary short term Bridgewater Canal Licence at a cost of £40 for 7 consecutive days

They had only been on the canal for two days at this point as they where sailing from middlewich to Wigan but didn't realise that Barton aqueduct was closed . In total they didn't stay on the canal for the full 7 days . It seems to me as they are just trying to fleece the boaters who do bring trade to the local areas .

We have just left the Bridgewater Canal at Leigh. I never noticed a sign at Preston Brook advising the canal wasn't part of CRT controlled waters. There was nothing to state the maximum free stay was 7 days and £40 per week thereafter for CRT licenseholders. Nor was there a sign advising Barton Swing Aqueduct was closed until the 19th. A local boater advised us about all three when we were moored in Sale. As a consequence of the stoppage we cruised on to Manchester mooring above the bottom lock on the Rochdale Canal until the stoppage was over. No Bridgewater Canal signs there either. Upon reaching Leigh we noticed the CRT sign advising from this point onwards it was the L&L Canal but no Bridgewater Canal signs in the opposite direction.

If I had been approached about overstaying I would have asked to see the photos of the signs at all three access points. I'd have refused to pay the £40 and requested they email me the court appearance date.

Those people demanding the 40 Pounds should be named and a complaint sent to Peel and CRT.

Perhaps they were passers-by and were trying to take advantage? Or did they have Peel identification?

Always ask for identification and peoples' names!

Peel Holdings is a company with a suspicious history. The Isle of Man is a tax-avoiding den.

"If I had been approached about overstaying I would have asked to see the photos of the signs at all three access points. I'd have refused to pay the £40 and requested they email me the court appearance date."

Too right! But facts are needed, not hearsay. And who is going to do anything about this?

His name is sunny and is the manager of Preston brook marina who was appointed by peel holdings to patrol the canal . He banned my friend off the canal even though he had a gold license and had only been moored up for an hour when he turned up banged on the boat and said your taking the piss and his wife filmed it while my friend went mad at him over his attitude then peel banned him

If they are at Castlefield Junction it is only 7 hours boating to Preston Brook so I would be inclined to set off on an early start and by the time someone notices they have gone it will be too late. If they haven't been on the Bridgewater for more than the allowed 7 days then what's the worse that is going to happen, somebody tell them to get off the water by which time they would hopefully be nearer to Preston Brook.

His name is sunny and is the manager of Preston brook marina who was appointed by peel holdings to patrol the canal . He banned my friend off the canal even though he had a gold license and had only been moored up for an hour when he turned up banged on the boat and said your taking the piss and his wife filmed it while my friend went mad at him over his attitude then peel banned him

1. Is 'sunny' his forename or surname? That just won't do! What did it say on his identification - just 'sunny' ?

2. For what reason did he ban your friend from the canal? You just need an ordinary CRT licence to allow 7 days on the Bridgewater.

3. Moored up where? And why would 'sunny' just bang on someone's boat and say "Your (sic) taking the piss." ?

4. Do you have anything in writing from Peel Holdings about this?

5. Have you written to Peel Holdings about this?

6. Has your friend been taking the piss? What do you think? Methinks there's more to this than the eye meets...

He could go up the Rochdale 9 where there are three options for going somewhere on CRT water.

3 options? Via the Moon? Rochdale Canal landslip Lock 15. No-one ain't going nowhere.

Link to video please.

:)

But there's 20 odd miles of the Rochdale before you get to Lock 15, as well as the Ashton and Peak Forest route.

How exactly are the Rochdale Canal and Ashton Canal joined? Canal Planner suggests Ducie Street Junction. Does anyone have photos or videos showing this link? Seems to be some kind of tunnel?

How exactly are the Rochdale Canal and Ashton Canal joined? Canal Planner suggests Ducie Street Junction. Does anyone have photos or videos showing this link? Seems to be some kind of tunnel?

It's just a normal junction. The Ashton comes in at right angles under Ducie Street road bridge. Nothing complicated. From the other end of the Ashton you can either go over the Huddersfield Or head up to Marple and then down the Macc to the T&M

1. Is 'sunny' his forename or surname? That just won't do! What did it say on his identification - just 'sunny' ?

2. For what reason did he ban your friend from the canal? You just need an ordinary CRT licence to allow 7 days on the Bridgewater.

3. Moored up where? And why would 'sunny' just bang on someone's boat and say "Your (sic) taking the piss." ?

4. Do you have anything in writing from Peel Holdings about this?

5. Have you written to Peel Holdings about this?

6. Has your friend been taking the piss? What do you think? Methinks there's more to this than the eye meets...

3 options? Via the Moon? Rochdale Canal landslip Lock 15. No-one ain't going nowhere.

This Sunny guys reputation goes before him. He told our club chairman that I must be living aboard my boat because I've got 2 TV aerials, a 4G mobile aerial, and a radio aerial. I don't.

Having said that, you could be right in thinking there might be more to this than meets the eye.

Edited by Richard10002

Here you are. Top lock of the Rochdale 9 straight ahead. Route to the Sowerby Bridge behind the camera, Ashton Canal to the left through the bridge.

roc1803.jpg

Edited by David Mack

The junction takes the form of a broad stop lock originally double gated at each end. This is situated under the Duice St Road bridge. The Bridge use to have a warehouse on the Ashton Side known as the Salt Warehouse and this had two arms into it one on either side. of the main link and stop lock to the Rochdale This has now been replaced by a modern office and accommodation block.. Until recent times and BW gaining control of the Rochdale canal, surplus water from the Ashton was run off down Meadow St Trunk situated on the far side of the Store St aqueduct opposite the new Telford Basin, The water joined a local stream and then the River Medlock via a culvert, rather than being sent down the Rochdale, as the Ashton had no duty to provide the Rochdale with water The Rochdale does have a requirement to provide the Bridgewater with water.

Unfortunately the Duice St bridge is now a haunt of the Manchester homeless.

The basin on the Rochdale canal side of Duice St use to be very large there being a large warehouse next to lock 84 This burnt down in the late 50's? and the basin was then filled in. It was rumoured that you could spin a pair in the basin, it was that big.

There was (still is) a 18hp waterwheel next to the remaining warehouse which powered all the winches and hoists in there. This is hidden below the cobbled area in front of the warehouse. The water to power it was drawn off the canal, there being a set of arms and basin coming down to this warehouse as well.

--

Cheers Ian Mac.

ed spelling

Edited by Ian Mac