leeds liverpool

series3

Featured Posts

I pulled in at the top of Johnson locks at wheelton last night. Heading towards Leeds. Another boat I helped told me not to stop in blackburn. Anyone had any problems in that area?

It has a bad reputation (rightly or wrongly) and we had boaters say the same to us. As a result we never stopped overnight there. But I have also heard people say they have moored there with no problems what so ever.

Give a dog a bad name?..

I think the town before it is really nice...but Blackburn didn't look like the place to stop for long when we went through...chalk and cheese...you may as well stop at the good spot..(was it Burnley???).....and skip Blackburn.....

Burnley is actually after Blackburn......I checked the map......is Burnley the place with the pub, and the sheltered moorings under the roof of the building...it was a decent little town to stop at...we stayed overnight with no issues.

Burnley is actually after Blackburn......I checked the map......is Burnley the place with the pub, and the sheltered moorings under the roof of the building...it was a decent little town to stop at...we stayed overnight with no issues.

That's Eanam Wharf, Blackburn. Stayed the too, no problem.

And the old Nu-Lyne factory is a must to look at.

nu-lynefact_zpsdc5f6a9b.jpg

:)

Burnley embankment is the only place I have been offered various drugs by a guy on the towpath as I boated through about midday!

It's a shame there's not really a good place to moor.....worked there many times and the town centre is ok...the market hall is good and the cafe there does cheese & potato pie to die for!

Cheers

Gareth

Oh for goodness sake I do wish these people would stop perpetuating these myths....

Next time one of these doom and gloom merchants say don't stop there or watch out at xx ask them when they last stopped there ... Pretty sure the answer will tell you everything you need to know.....

No problem stoping at eanam wharf if you have had enough after the locks. Morrisons a couple of mins walk away if you want to stock up. Plenty of nice spots to moor within about 20 mins cruising of eanam ( heading to burnley which is after Blackburn if heading East !) Rishton visitor moorings are fine and the little cafe does super bacon butties. No problem at burnley but common sense as for any urban area. Good mooring at the inn at the wharf and you can get under the cover of the canopy if you want. Rose grove services is another good place to moor and secure.

Edited by jonathanA

^^^^^^^^Shhhhhhhh you'll have the place crowded.

Bob

Oops !!!

Yes it's a terrible place, not suitable for southern folk there's no organic humous for miles and you won't get decent cup of jasmine and tree frog tea for love nor money

Stay away !

I'm from the north...wife from Boston..we're at eanam. Had a great meal at the calypso carabbian. Jerked chicken..(that used to be an offence) Great landlord Dave, sounds like a pirate an has a parrot on his shoulder. Great food and excellent service, best so far. I think his cat likes the boat....it's still on it.

thanks for advice. Blackburn is a nice place.

I'm from the north...wife from Boston..we're at eanam. Had a great meal at the calypso carabbian. Jerked chicken..(that used to be an offence) Great landlord Dave, sounds like a pirate an has a parrot on his shoulder. Great food and excellent service, best so far. I think his cat likes the boat....it's still on it.

Thanks for coming back and updating the thread. We think Eanam Wharf is a target to deliberately aim for, not somewhere to avoid.

Have a gratuitous cat picture :

post-21644-0-89685400-1458543743_thumb.jpg

Gizmo last July, trying new things. #yeahman #justsayin :)

A couple we met last year showed us an old Nicholson guide that said to not stop at all between Cherry Tree and Reedley.

We found this hilarious, as we managed to spend the entire Summer on just this stretch and had a fantastic time.

If you fancy a bite of breakfast try Canal View cafe in Rishton, right on the visitor mooring pontoon.

Look out for the halfway marker at Church, and call in at the Inn on the Wharf in Burnley at the Weaver's Triangle.

And congratulations on doing Johnson's Hillock to Blackburn in 2016, that is the bit that is having it's bicentenary this year, being the last part opened.

Edit to unautocorrect Rishton.

Edited by TheBiscuits

And congratulations on doing Johnson's Hillock to Blackburn in 2016, that is the bit that is having it's bicentenary this year, being the last part opened.

Wigan Locks were also first opened in 1816, with Britannia Bridge being one of two on the flight suitably inscribed.

gallery_6938_3_117313.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 21/03/2016 at 01:57, series3 said:

Its still good

On 20/03/2016 at 00:20, DeanS said:

I wonder what ever happened to Dean?