EA License.

Traveller

Featured Posts

Unless the EA get round to dredging (Ha!) there's a sand bar across the entrance which reduces the depth at low tide to about six inches. This won't affect the OP, but for long boats that need to go though on the level it's going to be a bit of a pain. When we came out of Salters to go up the Hundred Foot, we could only just grind out far enough to clear the guiltotine with a 60ft boat. A 70ft boat facing the other way if going to have problems there when the river is level with the creek.

MP.

Alarm! Alarm! Blow main ballast....

That sounds fun. We had troubles getting out last time, Paul ended up flushing us out of the lock mouth with Well Creek, but it sounds like it's got worse.

Alternatively, when doing Denver to Salters on the ebb, I slowed right down, turned around 180 degrees to port well before I got to Salters, and then drifted backwards (with a bit of power as needed) until you get alongside the lock, then increase power, glide sideways, and steer in under power.

That's my old man's favoured method

If you rem We are 27' so have none of the length issues, depth and beam are extra headaches! you may recall my perfect landing on the canoe portage at Ashton when you kindly let us go on ahead in the lock you had just filled, a handraulic one at that.

Much appreciated that was cheers.gif

I dunno about sailors hat, a tin hat may be more appropriate!

I remember, but I've only just connected that real-life person with "gazza".

I'm strongly reminded of the scene in "The Wrong Trousers" where the penguin removes the rubber glove disguise and Wallace points in wonder and says "Its _you_!".

As I recall, you leapt up from the VMs at PYC the next day to work us through Orton, so all is fair.

Will be passing up the Nene next month, so if you're around we may see you then.

MP.

• Greenie 1

Alarm! Alarm! Blow main ballast....

That sounds fun. We had troubles getting out last time, Paul ended up flushing us out of the lock mouth with Well Creek, but it sounds like it's got worse.

We, too were flushed out with water from the Creek. Without that we were stuck blocking the gate.

How does it work getting a long boat into SL with the sand bar? I imagine you have to get onto the tyre-covered wall and wait for the tide to drop and make a level, but that's going to drop the stern onto the bar, and risk leaving you immovable.

MP.

We, too were flushed out with water from the Creek. Without that we were stuck blocking the gate.

How does it work getting a long boat into SL with the sand bar? I imagine you have to get onto the tyre-covered wall and wait for the tide to drop and make a level, but that's going to drop the stern onto the bar, and risk leaving you immovable.

MP.

ETA. I just thought about it. Maybe you only have to wait 'till the river level drops below the top of the mitre gates and then open the guillotine and move into the lock to wait for the river to drop further and make a level.

Alternatively, when doing Denver to Salters on the ebb, I slowed right down, turned around 180 degrees to port well before I got to Salters, and then drifted backwards (with a bit of power as needed) until you get alongside the lock, then increase power, glide sideways, and steer in under power.

That would work, but you risk the situation where, to get the front level with the lock, you've let the back get downstream of the lock. I've never done that on the ebb, but the analogous situation on the flood (front in the lock entrance back needing to push sideways towards Kings Lynn against the flow) has caused me serious problems and forced a complete go-around.

MP.

MP.

ETA. I just thought about it. Maybe you only have to wait 'till the river level drops below the top of the mitre gates and then open the guillotine and move into the lock to wait for the river to drop further and make a level.

We've done that, tying to the gates with the guillotine open ("when it makes a level, they'll open and you'll soon know about it") and waited outside.

The first time we went from Denver to Salter Lode was early 2009 when they were having all that trouble with the guillotine jamming.

There were 4 of us. The first was stuck in the lock as the gate wouldn't shut so it was decided that we'd all wait for the level to drop then all go one after the other. Denver put one boat on the pontoon and us other 2 waited in the empty lock then when given the word we all set off in line, us last. The 2nd boat hot stuck on the tyres meaning we had to go hard in reverse, all the time with the river level dropping and the mud banks getting closer.

Did it again last year and followed Paul's advice to the letter and straight in, no problems.

Lots of interesting stuff there. Hopefully we'll be ok!

Matter of interest, does anybody know what it is like mooring in Fox's these days? Moored there years ago when Charlie was alive - it was ok in the main and we had some fun but Charlie was, or could be, somewhat difficult at times. A bit moody if memory serves.