EA License.

Traveller

Featured Posts

We are contemplating moving the boat off the Gt Ouse an up to the canals. The start will be a move to the Middle Level Navigations and a mooring has been identified. Problem is the Levels do not require a license and the Great Ouse does. Renewal is 1st April and it is unlikely we will be able to get off the Ouse by that time. Is there a way to obviate the EA license fee?

Thanks

You could always consider:-

A short term licence for the Ouse:-

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/418990/LIT_6608.pdf

They're supposed to be for visitors, but a chat with the registration office might produce results. After all EA would rather have some income than not.

A Gold license for CaRT and EA waters - that's an annual licence - so you've lost three months already

It really depends on how long you're going to be on the Middle Levels.

Or you could just go.....

Denver and Salters Lode lock keepers will ask for your registration Number, who gets this info I don't know.

Likewise when leaving the ML onto the Nene you will be asked at Stanground.

How long are you planning on staying on the ML?

The correct thing to do is ring the EA, they are usually pretty helpful and will give you the advice you need.

The plan is to summer in Fox's yard on the Levels and move on either autumn or next spring.

It's usually easier to get off the Nene in the autumn than at the beginning of spring.

Lock Works have overrun this spring due to recent flooding - not an unusual occurrence!

Your probably best to ask the EA if you can have a short term licence to get off the Ouse, once on the ML you will be able to get a vistitirs licence for your trip up the Nene to get on the GU.

It's usually easier to get off the Nene in the autumn than at the beginning of spring.

Lock Works have overrun this spring due to recent flooding - not an unusual occurrence!

Your probably best to ask the EA if you can have a short term licence to get off the Ouse, once on the ML you will be able to get a vistitirs licence for your trip up the Nene to get on the GU.

Similarly, the MLC carry out lock works January-March ish, and have been known to overrun.

Denver and Salters Lode lock keepers will ask for your registration Number, who gets this info I don't know.

Likewise when leaving the ML onto the Nene you will be asked at Stanground

The relief lockie at Stanground was insistent that the health registration number painted on the cabin side (Registered Gloucester 522) was what he wanted- despite my pointing out that this referred to an 81 year old book in Gloucester Archives!

Similarly, the MLC carry out lock works January-March ish, and have been known to overrun.

The relief lockie at Stanground was insistent that the health registration number painted on the cabin side (Registered Gloucester 522) was what he wanted- despite my pointing out that this referred to an 81 year old book in Gloucester Archives!

Cotterstock is overrunning at the moment, friends of ours were hoping to leave for PYC this afternoon, no such luck!

The most drawn out closure on recent memory was the replacement of the sluice gate at Salters...

What a Daft bugger! It's one way of getting under the radar I guess :)

Edited by gazza

Likewise when leaving the ML onto the Nene you will be asked at Stanground.

Both the Middle Level and the EA get the info. The Middle Level so they can keep track of who's on their water and the EA so they known who to chase if you don't pay after entering the Nene.

Both the Middle Level and the EA get the info. The Middle Level so they can keep track of who's on their water and the EA so they known who to chase if you don't pay after entering the Nene.

I had a feeling that would be the case.

Cheers.

Thank all, I shall give the EA a ring. Are there any tips on going through Denver/Salters? Have never done that as we bought the boat on the Great Ouse. Know the Nene well though having moored our pervious boat at Oundle for a couple of years.

Thank all, I shall give the EA a ring. Are there any tips on going through Denver/Salters? Have never done that as we bought the boat on the Great Ouse. Know the Nene well though having moored our pervious boat at Oundle for a couple of years.

It's easiest on the flood or on the top of the tide, it can be a little awkward on the ebb as the entrance is at an acute angle to the river.

Talk to Paul at Salters if you need any advice 01336382292.

It's easiest on the flood or on the top of the tide, it can be a little awkward on the ebb as the entrance is at an acute angle to the river.

Remember to ask Paul for your score out of ten for your approach and entry.

Paul's a great guy, worth talking through any concerns. He also sells coal to passing boaters if you're short.

Remember to ask Paul for your score out of ten for your approach and entry.

Paul's a great guy, worth talking through any concerns. He also sells coal to passing boaters if you're short.

He doesn't bother with us anymore, always makes me chuckle the gaggle of onlookers waiting for you to bugger it up!

Forgot to mention, if you haven't done Well Creek before remember this:- less is more, it's shallow and can be full of ferttiliser sacks and other random shite.

Enough go for steerage is all you need, plan on a couple of hours to Marmonts Priory lock and you won't be far wrong.

Depending on tides you may be better off calling it a day at Outwell - especially if it's mid afternoon - tea time, Maureen locks up Marmonts getting on for dusk anyway.

Forgot to mention, if you haven't done Well Creek before remember this:- less is more, it's shallow and can be full of ferttiliser sacks and other random shite.

Enough go for steerage is all you need, plan on a couple of hours to Marmonts Priory lock and you won't be far wrong.

Depending on tides you may be better off calling it a day at Outwell - especially if it's mid afternoon - tea time, Maureen locks up Marmonts getting on for dusk anyway.

Thanks for the reminder. Have done Well Creek many times but had forgotten the challenges you refer to. My only concern is Denver to Salters, for some reason I find the prospect a little scary. Have done many tidal stretches before but always in GRP cruisers, not narrowboats. I am only 43ft (or the boat is) but, well, yes Denver/Salters = scary

Thanks for the reminder. Have done Well Creek many times but had forgotten the challenges you refer to. My only concern is Denver to Salters, for some reason I find the prospect a little scary. Have done many tidal stretches before but always in GRP cruisers, not narrowboats. I am only 43ft (or the boat is) but, well, yes Denver/Salters = scary

Nah, you'll be fine, going on the flood means you have control over the boat at all times, there's a bit of slack just in the entrance to allow for but it's not as bad as the majority make out.

Edited by gazza

Not that you'll get a choice, but I much prefer going into Salters from an ebb tide, You can stuff the front into the slack water near the lock entrance and the ebb sweeps the the back round so you're pointing in the right direction.

MP.

Not that you'll get a choice, but I much prefer going into Salters from an ebb tide, You can stuff the front into the slack water near the lock entrance and the ebb sweeps the the back round so you're pointing in the right direction.

MP.

What's this stuff the front you mention of?!

In in one hit without hitting the sides :)

All true, but the last half-mile to Marmont Priory has been well dredged over the winter, and it much better. The rest of it is still the same.

MP.

All true, but the last half-mile to Marmont Priory has been well dredged over the winter, and it much better. The rest of it is still the same.

MP.

We had a discussion earlier on this matter, the bit by the legion is awful, especially when there is only a couple of foot spare at 9' 6" beam.

Still, any dredging is welcome!

What's this stuff the front you mention of?!

In in one hit without hitting the sides smile.png

Of course, but with the front of the boat in front of (NOT touching) the tyre-covered wall, and pretty much stopped, the ebb pulls the back round to get the direction right, and then straight in.

Unless the EA get round to dredging (Ha!) there's a sand bar across the entrance which reduces the depth at low tide to about six inches. This won't affect the OP, but for long boats that need to go though on the level it's going to be a bit of a pain. When we came out of Salters to go up the Hundred Foot, we could only just grind out far enough to clear the guiltotine with a 60ft boat. A 70ft boat facing the other way if going to have problems there when the river is level with the creek.

MP.

We had a discussion earlier on this matter, the bit by the legion is awful, especially when there is only a couple of foot spare at 9' 6" beam.

Still, any dredging is welcome!

The stretch past the Legion is the worst, without a doubt. We met a Fox's hire boat there once and managed to get past, but anything deep would mean a long reverse for someone.

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

If you rem

Of course, but with the front of the boat in front of (NOT touching) the tyre-covered wall, and pretty much stopped, the ebb pulls the back round to get the direction right, and then straight in.

Unless the EA get round to dredging (Ha!) there's a sand bar across the entrance which reduces the depth at low tide to about six inches. This won't affect the OP, but for long boats that need to go though on the level it's going to be a bit of a pain. When we came out of Salters to go up the Hundred Foot, we could only just grind out far enough to clear the guiltotine with a 60ft boat. A 70ft boat facing the other way if going to have problems there when the river is level with the creek.

MP.

The stretch past the Legion is the worst, without a doubt. We met a Fox's hire boat there once and managed to get past, but anything deep would mean a long reverse for someone.

MP.

We are 27' so have none of the length issues, depth and beam are extra headaches! you may recall my perfect landing on the canoe portage at Ashton when you kindly let us go on ahead in the lock you had just filled, a handraulic one at that.

Much appreciated that was :cheers:

You lot are making me wish I was back, I wonder if Floods ferry have any vacancies ?captain.gif

I dunno about sailors hat, a tin hat may be more appropriate! Edited by gazza
  • Greenie 1

Alternatively, when doing Denver to Salters on the ebb, I slowed right down, turned around 180 degrees to port well before I got to Salters, and then drifted backwards (with a bit of power as needed) until you get alongside the lock, then increase power, glide sideways, and steer in under power.