Gas Locker - To Lock or Not To Lock, That is the question

Featured Posts

haggis, on 18 Mar 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

I thought it was a BSS thing that the gas locker hadn't t be locked shut but I must be wrong or the question wouldn't have cropped up here. My view of visible padlocks is that they indicate that there is something worth stealing in there :-) .

haggis

The BSS check list says -

7.6 LPG system shut‐off valves

7.6.1R Are all LPG system shut‐off valves, or their means of operation, in a readily accessible position?

7.6.2R Are the locations of all LPG system shut‐off valves, or their means of operation, in open view, or their locations clearly marked?

I guess it could be argued that by locking the cylinder locker that the shut off valve on the cylinder themselves is not indeed 'readily accessible'.

No padlock on mine, the locker cover/ door is only just a bit bigger than a gas bottle so good luck to anyone who try's to nick a bottle in a rush without getting a squashed finger, took me nearly 20 minutes the first time I tried to remove a bottle and a hand full off squat fingers. Not saying its gnats cock tight down there, I now know the jiggery pokery sequence involved getting a bottle out.

rustydiver, on 18 Mar 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

No padlock on mine, the locker cover/ door is only just a bit bigger than a gas bottle so good luck to anyone who try's to nick a bottle in a rush without getting a squashed finger, took me nearly 20 minutes the first time I tried to remove a bottle and a hand full off squat fingers. Not saying its gnats cock tight down there, I now know the jiggery pokery sequence involved getting a bottle out.

The same with our boat, I used to curse the time a bottle change was needed. It was always a noisy going on too which would attract attention if somebody was nicking them.

I wonder how many bottles actually do get stolen??

Thanks for all your comments folks.

I had thought I was pretty much on my own in my thoughts when we discussed it in the group but it appears not.

One other interesting thing has come up reading the replies. I also thought that it was against regulations to keep anything flammable in the gas locker and yet clearly many of you do and the mention of rubber mats being suggested by Mike Carter - yes sounds a great idea but isn't a rubber mat flammable?

Perhaps this is another regulation that only applied in my head!

RLWP, on 18 Mar 2016 - 12:48 PM, said:

Things that produce sparks, I think C~R

Richard

Which some people seem to miraculously find a place to store at BSS inspection time.............allegedly...

(Not aimed at you Richard BTW just a general comment)

Richard

Can't shut you in there then can I?

You are a bright spark - thanks

Which some people seem to miraculously find a place to store at BSS inspection time.............allegedly...

(Not aimed at you Richard BTW just a general comment)

Shhhhh..... we have the inspector coming on Sunday

We just need to check a couple of things before he arrives ;)

Thanks for all your comments folks.

I had thought I was pretty much on my own in my thoughts when we discussed it in the group but it appears not.

One other interesting thing has come up reading the replies. I also thought that it was against regulations to keep anything flammable in the gas locker and yet clearly many of you do and the mention of rubber mats being suggested by Mike Carter - yes sounds a great idea but isn't a rubber mat flammable?

Far as i'm aware technically yes, but dense rubber has to have a sustained naked flame applied to it before it will burn continuously by which time the rest of the boat would be an inferno anyway. I think the none flammable rule is more interested in liquids which give off a flammable gas that could be ignited by a stray spark.

Still it makes sense to keep the gas lockers free of junk regardless

Edited by bag 'o' bones

................................................One other interesting thing has come up reading the replies. I also thought that it was against regulations to keep anything flammable in the gas locker and yet clearly many of you do and the mention of rubber mats being suggested by Mike Carter - yes sounds a great idea but isn't a rubber mat flammable?

I had a look at the latest BSS checklist and it says - "Cylinder lockers must not contain loose sharp or heavy items such as anchors or mooring pins that could damage the cylinders or other LPG system components.

Cylinder lockers must not contain any item that could ignite leaked LPG. "
Also when the BSS man is coming to check it says - "Advice for owners - owners should ensure the examiner can carry out careful checking of the cylinder locker for condition, including the removal of all loose portable items."

Richard

Check. Have to admit, for our first BSS, we'd left four spare anodes in the locker. Mike quoted the rubric and then said "so it's a good job you've not got four great lumps of magnesium down there, isn't it?"

We found somewhere else to keep them, he took another look and signed us off.

I bought one, but could not get it to seal properly. Net contribution to safety = nil. So it is sitting in the junk box at present. I think a bubble tester is more use - that is on the project list.

I lock my locker when leaving the boat, but mainly because other stuff is stored there eg the hatchet.

I have had no problem with mine. Why don't you get a refund?

We had to get the floor of our gas lockers (at the stern) welded up last year because they were rusting. It took us a long time to find a welder who was willing to do the job; two boatyards suggested cutting away the sides of the boat, welding the lockers, and then welding the sides of the boat back. Eventually it was done by C B Boats of Coventry

We did once fail our BSS for keeping an object in the gas locker. That object was ... a fire extinguisher.

Edited by Keeping Up

We had to get the floor of our gas lockers (at the stern) welded up last year because they were rusting. It took us a long time to find a welder who was willing to do the job; two boatyards suggested cutting away the sides of the boat, welding the lockers, and then welding the sides of the boat back. Eventually it was done by C B Boats of Coventry

We did once fail our BSS for keeping an object in the gas locker. That object was ... a fire extinguisher.

I have been passed Rose Narrowboats when they have replaced a gas locker floor by chopping the bow open.

Thank you, Cheshire-Rose - and contributors to this thread.

I "inherited" a padlocked gas locker and never gave it much thought until I read this ..... lock now removed. It seems ridiculous trying to protect £50 worth of gas as opposed to the possible consequences.

Hope all went well for you and the boat today.

Thank you, Cheshire-Rose - and contributors to this thread.

I "inherited" a padlocked gas locker and never gave it much thought until I read this ..... lock now removed. It seems ridiculous trying to protect £50 worth of gas as opposed to the possible consequences.

Hope all went well for you and the boat today.

This forum can be useful to help people think through things they had never considered before. I am glad you found it useful. I was reminded today when the BSS examiner asked if we have a CO alarm. We have and the one that is fitted is around a year old now (I think). The previous one was 11 years old and I had no idea that they have a "best before" date until I read a thread on this forum about them. I tested ours regularly and it worked but it seems the "sniffer" can lose it's reliability after a number of years. I took it off the wall to find a date stamped on a surface that would never have been seen unless I removed it from the wall. Sure enough it was past it's best and was promptly replaced.

Our boat passed with flying colours thank you. A certain Mr Carton of this parish arrived promptly before 9am this morning following his nose for 1/3 of a mile along the towpath to see out where the smell of a full English breakfast was cooking. He assures me that plying him with some sausage, bacon and egg with the trimmings made no difference to his consideration. I have no plans to test that theory in four years time ;)

• Greenie 1