Then and Now

AMModels

Featured Posts

Ray, thats amazing - I've just found the self same map (on NLS ?) and was about to post a near identical screen grab.

Great minds eh ....................

Yep, jolly good site too. I've always been fascinated with maps, I can spend hours looking at one.

In the background of the 1914 Stoke B picture, post # 8, there appears to be a bridge taking the mainline towpath over an arm.

Or are my eyes deceiving me ?

No they are not deceiving you. There was a bridge (just as in the photo - can you see the horse being lead down this side of the bridge?)

There was an arm where the museum green is now (the chimney was 'felled' into the dock in 1914) to service the mill (now the museum); it can still be seen to his day as the ground as subsided a little. The towpath where the arm came out onto the mainline is made of bricks to indicate where it once was an access point to the arm. There's a number of us who would like the arm dug out and reinstated if at all possible. Rough estimate is that it would take 2 full length boats.

Tried enlarging the original, the boat on the left is indeed Olive, have tried reading the name of the othere, it looks like a nine letter word ending in 'wood'

I've worked it out, it's Ethelwood.

Now a houseboat at Shoreham - here is a photo of it from carlt of this forum posted in the Sheffield size boats thread here:

DSCF3072.jpg

Tim - I found the rest of your photos from that set and note that there is another one showing Ethelwood, Olive and Reliance (another Sheffield size) all tied up together.

Goods Way, Kings Cross, 2003 & 2016

Goods%20Way%20Moorings%204%206%202003-L.

148%20Camden%20To%20Kings%20Cross%2024th

The new building on the left is a new Pub/restaurant called the Lighterman

Tim

On a lot of the pics Ive thought "I prefer the older ones", but its very much been a personal preference. On these however the whole feel of the area has changed and what was a welcoming homely space looks like its been totally sterilised, maybe when the pub is open it will be different but it looks almost soul less in the more recent pic.

Amazing considering they are both 21st century images.

On a lot of the pics Ive thought "I prefer the older ones", but its very much been a personal preference. On these however the whole feel of the area has changed and what was a welcoming homely space looks like its been totally sterilised, maybe when the pub is open it will be different but it looks almost soul less in the more recent pic.

Amazing considering they are both 21st century images.

Not a lot of water at the edge

I have just spent 20 enthralled minutes looking at all the pictures on this thread. They remind us of how much we've lost (or, some would say, gained). I can't award greenoes to every contributor, but thank you all.

• Greenie 1

More from the W&E around Walsall.

When the railway came to walsall it dove (dived??) under the canal nr Carl St, famous for Worseys/Keays dock. The canal was detoured from its original route and a little nub arm was left. These shots show a B&MCC pair carrying oil to Duckhams in 1968 passing the arm which was the final resting place of a number of boats, one of which was Keays tug Dart ex Duteous FMC steamer.

post-3500-0-44576600-1458980383_thumb.jpg

and then the modern shot showing possibly what is left of Dart to the right, hidden during summer months by reeds.

post-3500-0-45165200-1458980407_thumb.jpg

Edited by AMModels

I've worked it out, it's Ethelwood.

Now a houseboat at Shoreham - here is a photo of it from carlt of this forum posted in the Sheffield size boats thread here:

Hazelwood is moored in Port Royal at Auxonne on the river Saône in France. It's owned by Roy and Carole Syacamore. They were one of a handful of English couples working 39m péniches on continental waterways until their retirement a couple of years ago, and now act as managers at the port.

Oxford Basin. Sorry can't attribute the photo's as I forget where I got them.

attachicon.gifOxford Basin.jpg

attachicon.gifFilled Basin.jpg

"Pink Floyd" Bridge Wolfhamcote

attachicon.gifPink Floyd bridge.jpg

Sorry can't find a picture of the abutment with "Pink Floyd" written on, any help please?

Nice line-up of cars in the (1960-ish?) Oxford photo: Daimler, Renault Dauphine, Standard Ten and, appropriately, Morris Oxford.

Oxford Basin. Sorry can't attribute the photo's as I forget where I got them.

attachicon.gifOxford Basin.jpg

attachicon.gifFilled Basin.jpg

"Pink Floyd" Bridge Wolfhamcote

attachicon.gifPink Floyd bridge.jpg

Sorry can't find a picture of the abutment with "Pink Floyd" written on, any help please?

Looking atthe Pink Floyd shot what is happening with the tow lines?