Then and Now

AMModels

Featured Posts

Our boat "Sickle" condemned by BW at Bulbourne Works on the Grand Union in 2000 and craned out with a dictate that it must never be returned to their waters.

post-518-0-46951800-1458318544_thumb.jpg

The same boat back at the same location in 2008, after extensive rebuilding by the Parrott family.

[Photo: Matt Parrott]

post-518-0-46319600-1458318564_thumb.jpg

Not quite then and now, but Liverpool's canal terminus circa 1905 and in 1984. The awning has disappeared, but you can still see signs of at least a few of the various bays which entered the warehouse. The bit nearest the camera in the 1984 shot has been demolished since, but there is still a large section surviving on Pall Mall.

gallery_6938_1_16924.jpg

gallery_6938_1_45174.jpg

Another great pair Tim, is the first one taken from the far set of gates in the second pic or have they shrunk the lock into Limehouse?

Both taken from Narrow Street bridge I think. Some years ago they built a smaller lock inside the original Limehouse Basin ship lock.

Two more from Limehouse:

LM1-L.jpg

Tim, do you know the identity of the two barges at the back here? The left one looks to be a Sheffield size boat, I can't quite make out the name, reads like it might be Olive. The one to the right of it has the look of some of the later style Humber barges but no chance of reading the name from this copy.

Another couple from the BCN, Birchills junction is just off camera to the left.

post-3500-0-34400300-1458643371_thumb.jpg

The basin in the foreground served originally some furnaces behind where the cameraman stood, the boats were probably used to feed the power station in the background until it began to take its coal by rail.

post-3500-0-47039000-1458643398_thumb.jpg

The basin is now completely filled with bullrushes although intact as far as I know, not sure of any of the boats are still there the last time I can remember them was late 70's when there was a rally at the junction and the royal navy recruiting 'ships' were in attendance.

Source: Robert Selvey

Both taken from Narrow Street bridge I think. Some years ago they built a smaller lock inside the original Limehouse Basin ship lock.

What David said.

If you look towards the bottom left of the pictures you can see the same white bollard by the old gate recess.

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis

Tim, do you know the identity of the two barges at the back here? The left one looks to be a Sheffield size boat, I can't quite make out the name, reads like it might be Olive. The one to the right of it has the look of some of the later style Humber barges but no chance of reading the name from this copy.

Tried enlarging the original, the boat on the left is indeed Olive, have tried reading the name of the othere, it looks like a nine letter word ending in 'wood'

Tim

Stoke Bruerne before about 1914 (the chimney came down in 1914) and in 2014 - not a lot of change.

In the background of the 1914 Stoke B picture, post # 8, there appears to be a bridge taking the mainline towpath over an arm.

Or are my eyes deceiving me ?

In the background of the 1914 Stoke B picture, post # 8, there appears to be a bridge taking the mainline towpath over an arm.

Or are my eyes deceiving me ?

No there was a little arm there, went to the mill I think, stand to be corrected.

Edited by Ray T