Then and Now

AMModels

Featured Posts

Gas Street Basin 1982 & 2013

100%20SVR%20Crowd%20Gas%20Street%205th%2

0107%20Central%20Birmingham%20Canals%202

Tim

In the modern view, I think the new building in the centre with the 3 gables fits rather well.

Sadly, the same cannot be said about that white and pale blue corner sticking out next to it.

George ex nb Alton retired

do you know if these were taken from the same place Tim? So hard to tell with all the changes that have happened.

looks like it, you can just make out the verdigree roofed tower

Edited by PLW

I prefer all of the 1980's images you have published here, they remind me of good times as I was working on the boats myself back then and lived just around the corner at Sherborne Street Wharf.

edit = The man on the towpath with the dog is John Edwards, long term owner of BEAULIEU and CAM, but at this time would have still owned MARCELLUS captain.gif

Marcellus you say....excellent to find all of these links....what is the background to John Edwards?

Marcellus you say....excellent to find all of these links....what is the background to John Edwards?

John Edwards owned MARCELLUS from 1981 to 1983, and at that time it was still lived on as an unconverted butty. As with BEAULIEU it carried the final incarnation of the plain blue 'British Waterways' livery. I am pretty sure MARCELLUS was still composite at that time, i.e. retained its wooden bottoms - and of course its cabin was wooden as well.

I photographed MARCELLUS on 20 October 1990 near Shardlow, and I imagine mine are amongst the last photographs taken of it as a floating unconverted butty as it was cut very shortly afterwards.

I consider John Edwards to be a friend and I feel it would be paying him a disservice to discuss his background on a public Forum with somebody I do not know captain.gif

John Edwards owned MARCELLUS from 1981 to 1983, and at that time it was still lived on as an unconverted butty. As with BEAULIEU it carried the final incarnation of the plain blue 'British Waterways' livery. I am pretty sure MARCELLUS was still composite at that time, i.e. retained its wooden bottoms - and of course its cabin was wooden as well.

I photographed MARCELLUS on 20 October 1990 near Shardlow, and I imagine mine are amongst the last photographs taken of it as a floating unconverted butty as it was cut very shortly afterwards.

I consider John Edwards to be a friend and I feel it would be paying him a disservice to discuss his background on a public Forum with somebody I do not know captain.gif

Apologies, I certainly would not want you to 'discuss' any persons background I was merely picking up the various threads of history....regards

Yes Pete, The Marcellus had vegetable bottoms when I bought her from John Edwards.

In fact she still had them when Ian Clifton pulled her onto the bank at Royden Hall Farm immediately above Shardlow Lock.

Rigal also had the elm bottoms Richard Bird had fitted in the late 70s at Adelaide Dock.

Although I had a new hard wood kelson fitted at Mills Dock on The Erewash I sold her soon after and within a short time she must have had it all ripped out and a steel one fitted.

• 1 month later...

almost unrecognisable and is it just perspective or has there been waterspace lost to development?

With the exception of the access to the fan bridge very little waterspace has been lost in fact some has been created with the little dock by Marks and Spencer's bead office - the one with the 'Caterpillar' Bridge crossing it. However like this dock there is now no access by boats to the East end of the Basin from just before the fan bridge.

The new pontoons have also meant some loss of waterspace but these have created many new moorings.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fulbourne being returned to the water in 1986, after major hull work, into lock 19 at Stoke Bruerne:

1986_059-L.jpg

Passing through on Saturday exactly 30 years to the day later:

IMG_3716-L.jpg

Tim

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am afraid I haven't got a 'now' image (unless someone else has one or can provide me with an aeroplane!) but this one interested me I suppose mainly because I live in Stoke Bruerne. The second image is where I have annotated the 'differences' and 'similarities' compared to 'now'.

Edited to add some thoughts:

• The date is I think early 1960s - please correct me if you think I am wrong
  • The boat in the dry lock is, I believe, Northwich - now in Gloucester (Northholt changed to Northwich as per David's post below.
  • The butty outside Wharf Cottage is probably Elton I think

I will go and see David Blagrove when my hip is better and I stop having consultant appointments and ask him for his views.

post-16597-0-98425500-1469038724_thumb.jpg

post-16597-0-73351600-1469038739_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leo No2

Leo - how about this one - same (south looking) direction - its fairly recent.

I have to say I prefer my view of the village but I do find it most interesting how this village (and of course many thousands of others) have changed so much over a relatively short period of time. There are more houses since your image which I'd estimate is less than 20 years ago as I think the Navigation pub opened as a pub in about 1997.