CRTs latest review of license renewals, enforcement update etc

Tuscan

Featured Posts

I thought that was grouse.

Or is it all game birds?

Do pigeons count as game?

Vermin I thought. We used to get a guy to shoot them off the roof of one of our hospitals anyway.

AFAIK pigeons are regarded as a pest and can be shot at any time of the year, there is no specific protection in law for them.

There are certain conditions that have to be met that I can't recall now and we did inform the police for fear of sparking a response from the ARU but yes there are circumstance where they can legally be shot.

I do find it disappointing that there are still people on this forum who think that a CCer & a live-aboard are one and the same, even when others point out that the majority of boats on a CC licence are not lived on.

Who in his thread has associated all cc'ers with liveabords?

Back in the 70's the vast majority of boats without a home mooring were owned by "weekenders" who moved the boat around the system at weekends.

Today there are still a significant number of weekenders, but the biggest increase, percentage wise, in those without a home mooring is those who live aboard. I agree the majority of liveabords probably reside in marinas rather than cc'ing.

AFAIK pigeons are regarded as a pest and can be shot at any time of the year, there is no specific protection in law for them.

Sadly not the case:( https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/491530/licence_to_kill_or_take_certain_wild_birds_to_prevent_serious_damage_or_disease__GL04.pdf

This is a general licence for killing them but you have to comply with the conditions and apparently the little buggers who are crapping all over my solar panels know that protection of property isn't one of the conditions:angry:

Page not found - so I can't look up the regulations, but I think anywhere on a farm is okay because there's an obligation (can't remember if it falls under biosecurity or other reason) to control pests.

Farmers are OK shooting them as protection of crops is one of the conditions. The reason that the link wont work is that once again gobbledegook has been added to the end of the link, delete %a0%a0 from the link and it'll work (why does this keep happening??mad.gif )

Who in his thread has associated all cc'ers with liveabords?

Back in the 70's the vast majority of boats without a home mooring were owned by "weekenders" who moved the boat around the system at weekends.

Today there are still a significant number of weekenders, but the biggest increase, percentage wise, in those without a home mooring is those who live aboard. I agree the majority of liveabords probably reside in marinas rather than cc'ing.

I was purposely not being personal as I don't think it helps. As the same few members post the same types of comment about the same subjects it shouldn't be hard to work it out.

The posts usually start with some rose-tinted nonsense about the good old days, when CCs knew their place, and end up with the usual dig about the whole system being rendered unuseable by the actions of people trying to skive a cheap living with no regard for the sanctity of the waterways.

The waterways are busier now. More live-aboards, more CCs, more hire boats, more weekenders escaping their home-moorings, more dog walkers, more cyclists, more nice people.

Luckily, there are so many people, that if there is a problem, it's somebody else's fault.

• Greenie 1

I was purposely not being personal as I don't think it helps. As the same few members post the same types of comment about the same subjects it shouldn't be hard to work it out.

The posts usually start with some rose-tinted nonsense about the good old days, when CCs knew their place, and end up with the usual dig about the whole system being rendered unuseable by the actions of people trying to skive a cheap living with no regard for the sanctity of the waterways.

The waterways are busier now. More live-aboards, more CCs, more hire boats, more weekenders escaping their home-moorings, more dog walkers, more cyclists, more twats, more nice people.

Luckily, there are so many people, that if there is a problem, it's somebody else's fault.

Haha haha. Greenie for that one.

I think that the character and decency of individual EO's, and therefore by association, the location where you may just happen to have to stay put for longer than 14 days, has a very great influence on whether or not the so-called 'overstayer' comes into conflict with C&RT.

There seems to be a widely held belief that those who get a lot of grief from particular EO's have either brought it upon themselves by "taking the piss", and "getting themselves on the C&RT radar", whatever all that may mean, and/or they have simply been unlucky in encountering a rogue or over zealous EO.

Were that so, then it would be something that could be far more easily remedied than the awful reality behind the draconian, disproportionate and illegal measures that are dished out to alleged wrongdoers.

Far from it being the 'rogue' EO's who are deviating from C&RT management's intentions and wishes, the EO's who are not toeing the C&RT line are the decent and reasonable ones, such as those you have been fortunate enough to meet.

This may be the case that we have only met decent EO's, from 3 maybe 4 different sections if so that is very wrong it should be all on equal terms. Perhaps the answer is to by pass these awkward individuals and email managers and copy any senior staff. I always keep a paper trail of communications just in case.

The waterways are busier now. More live-aboards, more CCs, more hire boats, more weekenders escaping their home-moorings, more dog walkers, more cyclists, more twats, more nice people.

Full marks for observation. Yes there are more of every type of user about. No rose tinted spectacles on me, the maintenance standards are far better than in the early 70's.

I did not have a dig at anyone, perhaps you have a chip on your shoulder?

Very true ... isn't the whole world busier now - with more and more stress wherever you look?

I think we should sue the makers of Tomorrow's World for giving us the idea that the 21st century would be a happier and easier time than the 20th angry.png

This may be the case that we have only met decent EO's, from 3 maybe 4 different sections if so that is very wrong it should be all on equal terms. Perhaps the answer is to by pass these awkward individuals and email managers and copy any senior staff. I always keep a paper trail of communications just in case.

That has pretty much been my experience also, and that is over a fair proportion of the system. Most EO's and checkers I have come across have all been reasonably conversational people. I would suspect that Tony with his bitter hatred of CRT would find it difficult to talk sociably with any EO's. He never misses any opportunity to try to tell us how crap CRT are and I would suspect that he would take a similar stance with EO's as he seems to imply that his experience has been predominantly negative. If one is going to constantly 'parrot' how dreadful CRT are, as employers of EO's it puts them in the positions of either supporting their employer (and by TD's implication being a lackey of them) or agreeing with him that they are crap giving him ammunition to tell CRT 'Even your own employees think you are crap'. The safest stance for an EO would be not to engage in any conversation with him.

Very true ... isn't the whole world busier now - with more and more stress wherever you look?

I think we should sue the makers of Tomorrow's World for giving us the idea that the 21st century would be a happier and easier time than the 20th angry.png

Yes it is, and that's due to the burgeoning population - of both the world and of the UK. Best stop there though as although just fact, it leads straight into politics.

Quite so, all the electronic aids and technologies have just made folk work harder not more enjoyable.

This is why the national asset that are the waterways is important for all sorts of people as a recreational outlet be that boating, angling, walking, cycling etc. Also of course a useful alternative lifestyle for those wishing to live on the water too.

We just need to recognise we need to share and find the best way to do that and keep the Waterways navigable.