new to boating..

annie40

Featured Posts

hi thanks for that much appreciated!! ive cleared the area this morning...the decked area seems to be in good condition,so im orderingalot of scaffold poles and couplers then im going to get started..im very practical so i think im just going with a plan of action....

It is difficult to make an informed comment without seeing the mooring and knowing what kind of boat it is to be using it. I am quite often in your area on my motorcycle if you would like me to drop by.

Ian.

hi yes i think that may be of help.i could meet you down there...

Have a look at this:

AshIsland-03.jpg

Basically chunky treated wooden standoffs which have a tapered point and are driven into the riverbed, I'd estimate 4" x 12"

These are supported at the top by angled scaffolding poles taken back to the riverbank, with more supports in the middle.

Height of standoff needs to be about 2 to 3 ft above the fenders in absolute max flood and tide conditions. Where the above photo was taken, the level has been nearly up to the path in some years.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

I did a lot of Jetties and Piers on the Thames when I worked for Shelbourne's, Oak could be used as it lasts for years but you are going to have problems getting it piled in into the river bed without the proper equipment. I would go for Gabion Baskets if I were, you you can take your time in filling them up at low water. then you will have a working platform to work with.

Mark

Have a look at this:

AshIsland-03.jpg

Completely off topic but just curious if you have some connection to the Humber barge, Onward, in the photo? She's one of our "stepsister" ships. I met her owner a couple of summers ago when she was in the process of selling, and having her next boat surveyed. Have since spotted Onward when passing through Limehouse last year but not sure where it is now.

I've ordered alot of scaffolding poles and couplings....I'm getting a pole driver to go into the river bed..they're going in around 10 feet? Then I'm going to weld steps in place. Plus rails .then I'm taking the old staircase out.lots to do ..I don't know how long it will take me to do but hey ho...I'm up for a challenge !!

Completely off topic but just curious if you have some connection to the Humber barge, Onward, in the photo? She's one of our "stepsister" ships. I met her owner a couple of summers ago when she was in the process of selling, and having her next boat surveyed. Have since spotted Onward when passing through Limehouse last year but not sure where it is now.

I'll try and find out where Onward has gone, might take a little while though...