Canalside property for auction in Pelsall

Dave_P

Featured Posts

http://www.buttersjohnbee.com/property_details.php?location=Ws3&section=auctions&ddm_order=2&searchLatitude=&searchLongitude=&searchStype=&searchDistance=&radius=&aref=10075135

It's directly opposite one which was auctioned a couple of years back and discussed on here. That one has been completely refurbished to a nice looking home now.

But doesn't seem to have any mains gas or electricity and the pictures don't show any heating. I should think a 25 kva generator consumes quite a bit of diesel.

As for running a restaurant there, no parking spaces to speak off and a walk across a very rough, unlit surface across the bridge to access it.

Wow dont you just love property selling wallies. Could be used for a variety of opportunities including " Cafe " laugh.png Yeah right, lots of councils will allow cafes to operate without for a start mains water and they sure as hell check the sewage situation trust me I know!!

So thats a couple of cheapo jobs to start off with!!

Tim

I should think a 25 kva generator consumes quite a bit of diesel.

Typically all diesel engines driving generators consume about half a pint of diesel per kW of electrical output, so 20 x 0.5 pints (at 0.8 pf) or 10 pints per hour (5.68 litrs per hour).

Wow dont you just love property selling wallies. Could be used for a variety of opportunities including " Cafe " laugh.png Yeah right, lots of councils will allow cafes to operate without for a start mains water and they sure as hell check the sewage situation trust me I know!!

So thats a couple of cheapo jobs to start off with!!

Tim

And a chandlery or cafe there might struggle for customers, too. We moored in splendid isolation at Pelsall Common for a night last September, hardly saw a moving boat for days, and even dog walkers on the Common were few and far between. It's a nice building, but it's difficult to see exactly what it could be used for.

Presumably the house opposite has mains services, so electricity, water and phone shouldn't be difficult to provide over the existing bridge (subject to connection charges). Sewage would be a bit more difficult, but it could be pumped.

What is more surprising to me is why someone has gone to the trouble of renovating the building without addressing those issues. On Google Earth it is a derelict shell, so someone has already spent a lot of money to get it to its present condition. So why? Some sort of change of plan I guess.

The obvious use is residential, but I don't know what the planning authority view would be. I suppose you could live on a boat there and just use the building as a den!

It was up for auction on 5/9/13 in its derelict state at a guide price of £5,000:

http://www.cpbigwood.com/property/auction/details/id/3769/search/1

The general layout there, with the canal widening out on the offside, tells us that boats moored up there in whatever previous life the building had, and in fact it was a "stop house" for the collection of tolls on canal cargoes, so isn't there a good chance that it does come with mooring rights? Or at worst, if it were to be used as a base for a business, a boat could run to and from it carrying stuff and the owner could easily argue that it was "bona fide for navigation" because of the clear purpose of the run.

The satellite picture tells us that the mooring was all silted up and must have been dredged recently?

It certainly looks like a poor location for any business to attract passing trade, you'd have to know it was there and deliberately go to it.

I don't think there's a mooring opportunity with it. It does say all services though so why are you all saying there's no electric or sewerage?

It actually says:

SERVICES

The property is not connected to the main sewer network and at present, not connected to the national grid although a generator is included in the sale. We have no information regarding mains water and recommend prospective purchasers make their own enquiries.

There is no sign of any form of offset fill for the diesel tank which, I assume, is inside the generator building at the far end of the site.

Having moored there last week and looking at the property, before I knew it was for sale, there is no sign of any services being run across Friars Bridge. There is a possible mooring space just beyond the house and a 16 amp socket is fitted to the wall.

Typically all diesel engines driving generators consume about half a pint of diesel per kW of electrical output, so 20 x 0.5 pints (at 0.8 pf) or 10 pints per hour (5.68 litrs per hour).

It also depends on the load, but you get 3-3.33 kW from one litre of diesel, and partial load

Our 55 kVA generator use 13 litre a day, 5-5.5 h running so 2,3-2,6 L/h

No road access to the property, so I guess everything will need to be transported over the bridge.

I don't know what the bridge is like and whether it could take road traffic, though I suppose the builders will have needed to get their vehicles there.

Though Norton Lane runs from the Finger Post pub to the cottages opposite, and looks to be recently re-graded.

A recent drone photo below :-

post-4185-0-46133200-1458122959_thumb.jpg

Edited by jake_crew

It also depends on the load, but you get 3-3.33 kW from one litre of diesel, and partial load

Our 55 kVA generator use 13 litre a day, 5-5.5 h running so 2,3-2,6 L/h

Yes, the number I quoted is at full load, but diesel fuel consumption of standby generators at zero load is around 40% of the full load figure. I would expect similar for any diesel.

From that picture it looks as if there is a phone line, if no other services.

From looking at it last week (we had to call an ambulance for a fallen walker) I don't think you could drive over the bridge other than in a serious 4x4, even if you are allowed to.