Hi from Australia

boat fan

Featured Posts

lUhZdGG.jpg

Sketch of some proposed shelving.

DWzlchz.jpg

9 mm marine Meranti plywood brackets cut with jig saw.

6Umqq0g.jpg

Master pattern.

9 mm plywood.

VDB1Nj7.jpg

Propped on the wall to check for fit.

ivk6Qmu.jpg

My7VeWQ.jpg

Adding slats.

kn727Bs.jpg

Completed shelf.

The circular art deco motive will be a translucent light panel ( wall sconce )

EYI3IO8.jpg

1XjrRNK.jpg

Hi barnacle

Thank you for dropping in ....and yes we call it countryside too.

You have your queen ...and princes and princesses.

Our little town has a local princess called the Murray Princess :

RfsXtQF.png

ElKXSHQ.jpg

Spot the hoppers.

15203751777_937937078a_k.jpg

15203740157_e499289057_k.jpg

No ambitions in that regard Loafer ,

Forums are for sharing IMHO.

Thank you for your interest , its good to hear from you , I also appreciate your active participation on the forum , I usually learn something new .

I do wish I had more time to read more posts.

No ambitions in that regard Loafer ,

Forums are for sharing IMHO.

Thank you for your interest , its good to hear from you , I also appreciate your active participation on the forum , I usually learn something new .

I do wish I had more time to read more posts.

Maybe you will when you've finished her!

Thank you for your comments.

Think this is my first post, but had to say thanks for posting, I've been following your build from the

off on the wooden boat forum. Will keep watching and hope to see the official launch soon.

Neil. :)

Wow is the only word to use - love the picture with the cars in.

Aren't they beautiful , after I left the army (jan'71) I lived in London for a while, and at the time these Austin 7 cars were for sale for between £50 and £200 and so were Morris Minor Travellers, someone offered me a narrowboat with a Bolinder for peanuts too, nobody seemed to have much interest for these then.

I enjoy all your photographs and stages of the building of your boat very much too boat fan, and if you wouldn't be so far away, I would have liked to come over to see it all for real.

Cheers,

Peter.

How on earth did i miss this thread, i guess witht just popping in little often now due to the hassle on here and missing threads like this.

I am full on envy of you, for one being in Aus, my biggest ever regret is not going down to Aus when i had chance many years ago when i was younger, my nans brothers son ran a travelling circus and they offered me work and living for aslong as i needed, maybe to live down here. BIG regret indeed :(.

Anyway, one other, i had planned a similar barge to what you are building a few years back, but over here it is of no use what so ever really, costly to keep moored as a liveaboard and not as far to ravel with ease with such beautiful surroundings as you have.

You are doing and amazing job, one massive benefit you have is the weather to do it, my god i moan due to hole in the canopy over my boat to keep the rain out. And it holds back work so much. What i love about your build is it is all done by yourself and made to spec, not popped out to buy a set of draws or shelving, dam good skills i am envious of.

Your pics are just amazing, it has taken me an hour or so last night just looking through the pics.

I wish you all the best with it, after all that graft you deserve it cheers.gif

LUVIN IT :)

Thank you for the interest W+T.

Boating is different here , to be sure .

What is curious is how you always seem to want most the things that you cannot have.

The one thing I would love to be able to do is stop off and relax in places like this :

pubs.gif

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj54sHcofPLAhUFnZQKHeN2BVsQFggzMAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coolcanals.com%2Fthings-to-do%2Ffood-and-drink%2Fcanalside-pubs.php&usg=AFQjCNG0tMIqTledBSSGZ5uWUXM6RDXbxw

Or this :

bluelias.png

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwiU9a-spPPLAhWGjJQKHfjICFsQjxwIAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.coventrytelegraph.net%2Fwhats-on%2Ffood-drink-news%2Flook-10-great-canalside-pubs-9354091&psig=AFQjCNEusnwGja3ERPNfb99hCx3yEZey6A&ust=1459800915540080

We in Australia do not have this kind of social interaction and diversity on our water front.

You have so much of that , and all that history to go with it .

It would take a long time before I got through checking out all these places.

As far as the weather , well , its not always what it seems here either.

I`m the first to admit that I do enjoy a little more sunshine than what you experience in the UK.

And the cold .But , I can assure you that the experience of having to endure last summer , and the year previous , would not be to your liking. I hated it .

The heat waves experienced here are not nice at all.The temperatures here just soared .This kind of dry scorching heat is actually quite dangerous.

Particularly to small infants and the elderly.

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwim0M-zp_PLAhXJnpQKHUlOCwgQFggkMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.abc.net.au%2Fnews%2F2015-12-19%2Fsa-heatwave-weather-bureau-warns-extreme-fire-danger%2F7043030&usg=AFQjCNEltMuwFHzWcMVBrM13kgciaWAn9w

These were the headlines :

Adelaide Heatwave: 40 Degree Days And 30 Degree Nights Are Making Everybody In Adelaide Really, REALLY Grumpy

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwim0M-zp_PLAhXJnpQKHUlOCwgQFghJMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.news.com.au%2Ftechnology%2Fenvironment%2Fheatwave-emergency-crews-on-high-alert-amid-bushfire-fears%2Fnews-story%2Fad67c3ef45fe247b4e69dd9fe01acc67&usg=AFQjCNHtePuGXyHyNbkYIpImQYZFCmobHA

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwim0M-zp_PLAhXJnpQKHUlOCwgQFgg2MAM&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com.au%2F2015%2F12%2F18%2Fadelaide-heatwave_n_8824536.html&usg=AFQjCNHzAwQOdj1GBO9ksQmxIPC8yNcClw

I lost many , many days where I was not able to work on the boat because the heat just sucks all remaining energy out of you.

We also get below zero temperatures ( its coming up to that time of the year here now .....)

It`s 7.00 Am here right now , just getting light and 5 degrees C outside .

I thank you for taking the time for your reply . It`s nice to hear from you .

Edited by boat fan

Hello everyone.

I am currently fitting some of the remaining ceiling panels over the rear deck area , and the tedious job of cutting and fitting the finish trim pieces .

Fj0YAJz.jpg

Reflective foil pinned over the ceiling structure.

gnmcP9L.jpg

mfAJMxR.jpg

Fitting the panels between the ceiling joists.

This one fits around one of the waste water vent pipes.

iRGumLi.jpg

3HX3WFT.jpg

The rear deck ceiling totals six panels approx 4 x 4 ft or 96 square feet.

Fitting some of the trim pieces.

9plsbMV.jpg

5sGlzk9.jpg

kGEYMGm.jpg

7pMH0B9.jpg

Its actually raining here today !

So I moved inside to work on some interior trimming out in the front cabin.

jCTxw9Z.jpg

E2iN4HM.jpg

3anYyom.jpg

huCIGxl.jpg

Edited by boat fan

Hello everyone.

This is how I built the engine mount that will be bolted to the underside of the bridge deck.

The side panels are 2 layers 3/8 Meranti marine plywood epoxy glued together to finish at 18 mm or 3/4 inch .

Internal cleats are two layers of hardwood to finish at 42 x 42 or 1 1/2 + inches square.

There is also a triple laminated hardwood cleat that forms a sturdy bolting flange to bolt the whole thing onto the deck beams from below.
Epoxy glued , fillet and heavy biaxial tape , wet on wet.

EP7N35I.jpg

The laminating of the panels was tedious because I had no bronze ring shank nails left and did not want to wait a week to get them sent.
They would have made things much easier and quick.

I pulled down the plywood with temp screws that needed to be filled after the epoxy had set .

Tedious.

m4BP6bP.jpg

Laminated rear panel .The motor board will be attached to this.

48 mm thick , or 1.9 inches approx.

tZgRobL.jpg

bPvt7jo.jpg

I drilled some steel angle and cut slots to make a steel jack plate for the engine mount.

This is for fresh water use only so two coats of kill rust primer and two top coats of epoxy paint should be good.

hGOcaRO.jpg

p3Vk33l.jpg

Fixed part of the jack plate.
Engine board is five layers 9 mm ( 3/8 inch ) marine ply , 50 mm ( 2 inches ) thick .
35 ply . Strong.

9qMsRcE.jpg

fLyfgLv.jpg

ubPgdOa.jpg

FbFLlat.jpg

Sliding ( slotted ) part will be attached with 12.5 mm ( half inch ) high tensile bolts .

Motor pod ( upside down here ) with jack plate attached.

KTZUjLQ.jpg

Motor pod sides glued together 2 x layers 9 mm Marine plywood.

30Gx2ng.jpg

3 layers of hardwood ( 3/4 inch or 19 mm each ) make up a strong bolt up flange to attach the motor pod to the under side of the decking.

cs1Ec91.jpg

Biaxial f/g tape strengthens the joint of the bolt up flange and pod sides.

31oZEWn.jpg

ACI1Pys.jpg

And inside the internal bulkhead.

NRzQ7U8.jpg

Kh1fLAF.jpg?1

Outside corners.

q4wR9uB.jpg

jPC6M2U.jpg

8XnxkV5.jpg

Ms1wM61.jpg

The entire thing was then covered with f/g cloth set in epoxy resin.

VqLOTUT.jpg

L3oBXDT.jpg

Some smaller details.

OStsmm6.jpg

21YzT82.jpg

aerKeN0.jpg

tCJ4zRL.jpg

YjuNKZg.jpg

ftoFwUC.jpg

Epoxy lined drain holes.

2yarf1x.jpg

To mount the whole mess , the under side of the rear deck was prepared by fitting 150 x 50 mm ( 2 x 6 ) blocking.

cDPycdc.jpg

wTakfQL.jpg

Position of the deck beams ( horizontal line at top ) marked out with chalk line.

The vertical lines mark the position of the blocking that will be fixed between.

3/4 inch flooring makes for handy bracing of the under floor structure and engine pod.

6TXF0ae.jpg

h1ntpXr.jpg

All holes through the rear decking was epoxy lined to keep all water out of the end grain.

TcmeOKf.jpg

Hardwood cleats to brace blocking below the decking.

100 mm batten screws fix them in place.

cDPycdc.jpg

Bolt up.

8PHySem.jpg

100 mm hot dipped galv. coach screws.

2KVqneB.jpg

CcrYj52.jpg

1a1vkT5.jpg

AEN1jLw.jpg

baF5N2q.jpg

papPO0J.jpg

unddgxO.jpg

e8yJBYh.jpg

HplqLKT.jpg

jOVAGhq.jpg

YWDxapU.jpg

EQP9mNH.jpg

IK8gjtD.jpg

5I4AKSx.jpg

Motor mount and home built jack plate completed.

Hello all ,

I did some more recycling today.

Found these in my travels to town today and could not pass them by.

Dirt cheap and the lead light glass was in perfect condition.

oKcq7AT.jpg

BoKeVf6.jpg

The only down side to this was the " ugly eighties " router work.

xg42ugp.jpg

I took out the glass and cut away the entire ugliness with a straight cut router bit.

The new cut became the new rebate for the glazing bead , so the inside face of the door was turned around to become the outside of the door.

OVZCluO.jpg

The back showing the rebate I cut for the glazing bead.

And here two before and after pictures.

zlb4rKn.jpg

AA07uoF.jpg

These measure 860 mm high x 480 mm wide and will be a good size for some internal cabin cabinets.

I like giving old , no longer wanted things a new life.

Edited by boat fan

Waiting for car to be serviced I've caught up on this thread...fab..D-I-Y boat build..makes me feel I could ave a go...

Car service wait tad boring but having had meaningful discussion over their perception of "time it'll take" for minor service I'm sitting put...they said 8 hours...they've now had change of mind following my reasonable(to me) comments. I thought best to wait in line of view...

However back to thread...

brilliant pics but dunno about the 8 legged arachnoid..wouldnt want her as house guest! but I love the other put together boats..fantastic..raised a smile!

really Aussie land creeping up on my agenda of places to go see...

Keep posting

thanks

Patty

Waiting for car to be serviced I've caught up on this thread...fab..D-I-Y boat build..makes me feel I could ave a go...

Car service wait tad boring but having had meaningful discussion over their perception of "time it'll take" for minor service I'm sitting put...they said 8 hours...they've now had change of mind following my reasonable(to me) comments. I thought best to wait in line of view...

However back to thread...

brilliant pics but dunno about the 8 legged arachnoid..wouldnt want her as house guest! but I love the other put together boats..fantastic..raised a smile!

really Aussie land creeping up on my agenda of places to go see...

Keep posting

thanks

Patty

Always welcome here Patty !

Good call on the car service too .wink.png

OyAC3ew.jpg