VDO Gauge - broken!

Barge Maria

Featured Posts

In the course of cutting a hole in the dashboard of the barge to fit a new gizmo I have noticed that the needle has fallen off the engine temperature gauge. I think it was the vibration from the mulit-tool that caused it, sadly. The needle is still under the glass and I can see it.

This VDO gauge is part of the original Scania engine panel and I would like to save it if possible. Does anyone have any experience of firms that would renovate older gauges like these? My (initial and rushed) Google searches seem to take me to places that want to sell me new dials, which are a different size so necessitate more bodgery!

Or is it easy to get the glass off and re-glue the needle (it looks as though it was just delicately glued onto the spindle cup that connects to the mechanism).

I'd be grateful for any ideas that people may have.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tim

It depends how old it is.

Some older gauges, the chrome bezel turns a few degrees and the lugs on the back align with slots and it comes off - in theory. In practice, the sealing rubber sticks and you can't turn the bezel, so carefully bend back the lugs

On new gauges, the bezel is swaged onto the case. I have removed such a bezel by carefully levering the back of the bezel out around most of the periphery until it came loose

Or you buy a new gauge

Richard

Thanks Richard.I'll have a closer look and gently have a go.

It happened yesterday but due to other matters I wasn't able to investigate as much as I wanted to, hence the posting today. It would be a shame to scrap it as its part of the original set and you can't get them now, natch!