Dishwashers and washing machines

Witchword

Featured Posts

Managed to swap my feed for the washer over to hot pipe this weekend.

Plugged the power monitor in and made sure i had a full tank of hot water, run the tap for a minute till the pump kicks in and water is hot, then turn washer on, then turn tap off.

Sat watching the power monitor through the wash, put it on a 15 minute wash, power averaged at 200-250 watts thought the 15 minutes and peaked at 400 watts very briefly towards the end of the wash.

All sorted, so decided to try on the inverter, same set up as before, about 2 minutes in the inverter started flashing, error, i think this is down to my batteries being shot, i also had the engine running at the same time.

I might now try plugging my genny into the shoreline and giving it another go on the 240v, reckon i can get away with a couple of washes per week so just need to find a nice spot to fire the genny up twice a week without bothering people.

Happy days.

Just a thought here, but why not open the machine up, and remove one of the wires from the heating element - or unplug it all together (the heating element that is - not the machine)...

It might see it as a fault and do "nothing" but it might work.

A friend of mine had a washing machine on his boat and managed to reduce the electrical power needed considerably. He had a horizontal drum machine so he removed the motor and arranged a drive shaft to come through from the engine with a magnetic clutch on it. When the controller demanded the motor it simply closed the clutch. It did require the engine to be running and the spin speed wasn't terribly fast, but it didn't use much power.

I have a Zanussi 1300 which refuses to work off Shoreline, my inverter is a modified sine wave, 1800/270. Even when engines running won't run. Why?Meant doesn't work,unless,on Shoreline.

We have a Zanussi 1301 which behaves the other way. Fine on generator or shoreline but refuses to work from inverter (Victron combi)

Couldn't live without my candy machine, any time spent not sat in a launderette is great fir me. Runs off my inverter, with or without engine running. Water taken straight from calorifior, clothes not shrinkage same batteries for over 5 years. If you do your homework and plan things out, you can run most items aboard.

Couldn't live without my candy machine, any time spent not sat in a launderette is great fir me. Runs off my inverter, with or without engine running. Water taken straight from calorifior, clothes not shrinkage same batteries for over 5 years. If you do your homework and plan things out, you can run most items aboard.

That is the 'secret' that unfortunately many do not find until too late.

View your electrical usage as part of a complete 'system' (Generation, Storage, Usage) if it is all 'balanced' you can do virtually anything, if either generation or storage is 'lacking' then you are doomed to expensive failure.

• 5 years later...

Hello :)

I have a 2200kw Generator and I am trying to figure out if i would be able to use a Washer Dryer using that? The washer/dryer power consumption labels are baffling me as it talks about the length of time of the cycles etc... 

Has anybody else done this or nah? Only its costing me a fortune at the launderette and trying my super hardest not to go crawling back to mum and dads with a bag of washing once a week.... 

Thanks in advance. 

5 minutes ago, Dolly P. said:

Hello :)

I have a 2200kw Generator and I am trying to figure out if i would be able to use a Washer Dryer using that? The washer/dryer power consumption labels are baffling me as it talks about the length of time of the cycles etc... 

Has anybody else done this or nah? Only its costing me a fortune at the launderette and trying my super hardest not to go crawling back to mum and dads with a bag of washing once a week.... 

Thanks in advance. 

Post some pictures of the labels.

Remember it may be costing you a fortune at the launderette, but generating your own electricty is extremely expensive.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Post some pictures of the labels.

Remember it may be costing you a fortune at the launderette, but generating your own electricty is extremely expensive.

There's a lot to be said for laundrettes.

Wash on, pop over the road for a pint, pop back, stuff into the dryer, over the road for another pint, back to take stuff out, bag it and return to the pub.