Working a Swing Bridge alone.

GreyLady

Featured Posts

There are vidro's on UTube showing how it's done.

Someone cleverer than I will put up a link I'm sure.

Welcome back, I've missed your contributions. Hope all has been well with you and yours?

Sorry cuthound I missed your post in the ca'os of yesterday thanks for the welcome back that was nice and all is well here.

Hope things are well with you and yours too.

Here's one video, there may be some others too :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y3Gt6BiSZE

Peter.

Thankyou Peter,

I thought I had seen all of Dans videos and their a lots of them lol

Really helpfull cheers.

Edited by GreyLady

And keep an eye on what the boats doing as you wind the bridge up.

Even a slight forward motion can result in the not fully raised yet bridge wiping out your tunnel light gubbins.

You might wonder how I know this.........................

I hate that bridge at Lapworth angry.png

Yeah first lift bridge I worked, I was winding the hydraulic thingy looked just in time to watch my boat destroy the cratch board as it tried to sneak under the bridge deck

Nice sounding engine in the second boat, too bad you can only hear it when he's leaving.

En Rees

Peter.

Thank you Peter, and for reference, the boat is a 58' Tim Tyler, and the engine is an industrial JP3, 'marinised' with a Paragon gearbox mounted at the back of the engine coupled via an R&D drive plate. I currently have the engine in bits while I make good the rather worn crankshaft, which I believe has been with the engine for the last 72 years.

Regards,

RAP

Thank you Peter, and for reference, the boat is a 58' Tim Tyler, and the engine is an industrial JP3, 'marinised' with a Paragon gearbox mounted at the back of the engine coupled via an R&D drive plate. I currently have the engine in bits while I make good the rather worn crankshaft, which I believe has been with the engine for the last 72 years.

Regards,

RAP

I only made a remark about the nice sounding engine, but the boat itself is looking very good too, Tim Tyler makes a nice hull.

Good luck with the restauration of your JP3, if for one reason or another you want to change this 72 years old beauty with another nice sounding engine, I have 2 very good Lister HR-2 engines with Lister 3 : 1 gearboxes for sale.

Peter.

and another one. Not sure how you do it in the other direction though.

I think I would have enlisted the help of one of those passers-by doing it in either direction. Far quicker and easier. While it's nice to show you can do it alone it's far too much faffing around if you don't actually have to do it all by yourself.

Edited by blackrose

I think I would have enlisted the help of one of those passers-by doing it in either direction. Far quicker and easier. While it's nice to show you can do it alone it's far too much faffing around if you don't actually have to do it all by yourself.

I think though the purpose of that particular video is that it was intended to be 'instructional' on how to do one of those electric bridges on the L&L single handed. Logic of course dictates you would enlist some help if it was there but it would defeat the purpose of producing the video if the boater had.

Edited by MJG

Yes, that was one of two very good reasons.

The other being that a raised bridge was on the landowners side of the canal and offered some degree of security for him when he left it open.

George ex nb Alton retired

So lift or swing bridges operated from the non-towpath side historically had no public right of way over them?

Edited by blackrose

So lift or swing bridges operated from the non-towpath side historically had no public right of way over them?

I don't know about that. It's quite a different question.

I can well imagine the situation where a bridge swings or lifts from the offside, which is done for towrope purposes, but it has a right of way over it.

In such cases, I would expect that custom says the bridge remains closed to the canal or it has a means of closing the bridge from the towpath side, eg a chain.

George ex nb Alton retired

Thanks everyone for your help.

I enjoyed the videos but it still feels complicated.

Pretty tired tonight but chat soon.

Night all

I agree the videos make it look insanely complicated and it really isn't.

In essence, you alight from you boat on the towpath side holding a long centre line, and cross the bridge still holding the line. Now open the bridge from the off side and pull the boat through using the line, then close the bridge and cross back over to the towpath, still holding the line.

Use the line to pull the boat back in to you, step back on and cruise away.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I agree the videos make it look insanely complicated and it really isn't.

In essence, you alight from you boat on the towpath side holding a long centre line, and cross the bridge still holding the line. Now open the bridge from the off side and pull the boat through using the line, then close the bridge and cross back over to the towpath.

Pull the boat back in to you and cruise away.

By jolly I think I've got it mtb (in principle) , i did not quite understand why he was fiddling with the rope on the bridge rails on the first video.

Thanks

Edited by GreyLady

One thing I'm not sure has been mentioned is keeping your CRT key on a separate key ring to your engine key as some bridges you will need to unlock and can't remove the key until the bridge has been closed. Therefore if you want to keep your engine running or use the engine to pass through the open bridge you won't want to be only having one bunch of keys.

One thing I'm not sure has been mentioned is keeping your CRT key on a separate key ring to your engine key as some bridges you will need to unlock and can't remove the key until the bridge has been closed. Therefore if you want to keep your engine running or use the engine to pass through the open bridge you won't want to be only having one bunch of keys.

Good idea,

We've bought 2 Cork Balls, all we need now is the keys for the ignition. Haha

t2814.gif

Edited by GreyLady

By jolly I think I've got it mtb (in principle) , i did not quite understand why he was fiddling with the rope on the bridge rails on the first video.

Thanks

Good. I've edited my post to hopefully make it even clearer.

And yes all the fiddling about tying the boat to the bridge seems wholly unnecessary, and just seems to make it look comperlicated dunnit!

And yes all the fiddling about tying the boat to the bridge seems wholly unnecessary, and just seems to make it look comperlicated dunnit!

It shurelly got me confused

m1239.gif

Tar

I tie my rope to the bridge as if you carry it, it gets in the way of cars, people, etc., also half the time the bridge can start to pull the boat through.

I tie my rope to the bridge as if you carry it, it gets in the way of cars, people, etc., also half the time the bridge can start to pull the boat through.

Ah I see. That makes sense.

But to understand the principle involved I think it's best to imagine no traffic, then enhance one's method to account for road traffic by tying the line to the bridge.

Ah I see. That makes sense.

But to understand the principle involved I think it's best to imagine no traffic, then enhance one's method to account for road traffic by tying the line to the bridge.

Basically you tie the rope to the bridge as its the easiest thing to tie too so you don't lose the end of the rope when you open the bridge.

or don't buy a boat with a poncey engine that needs a key to start it.icecream.gif