UPDATE ON LICENSING PROCESS FOR BOATS WITHOUT HOME MOORINGS

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Well, it isn't aimed at me. I know I can't CC, so I've always had a home mooring. They don't have to cost you an arm and a leg in a marina, any more than someone in a house doesn't have to live in London and pay for a house there. You can move somewhere else, have a nice life, and pay less. as the Stones so wisely said, you can't always get what you want, but you can get what you need. And you're in a sodding boat, for gods sake - they sort of move - that's one of the points of them. And the logging system is fine - it just does what it says it does. It never claims to record every boat, every day, and doesn't need to. Mistakes can be put right if the people concerned can be bothered to do so rather then just say they know their rights, they don't have to prove anything to anyone, take me to court if you want - and then moan when the courts rule against them for no rational reason, because that's what courts do sometimes. Otherwise, no reason for genuine CCers, uncontacted by CRT, to feel stressed. Why should they?

I'm not sure who you think is being divided. I'm all in favour of CCers, and home moorers with online moorings, and people in marinas. I've never, ever met anyone who isn't.

Jeez, what a clear analysis. I wish I could award ten greenies!

One will have to do...

• Greenie 1

Well, it isn't aimed at me. I know I can't CC, so I've always had a home mooring. They don't have to cost you an arm and a leg in a marina, any more than someone in a house doesn't have to live in London and pay for a house there. You can move somewhere else, have a nice life, and pay less. as the Stones so wisely said, you can't always get what you want, but you can get what you need. And you're in a sodding boat, for gods sake - they sort of move - that's one of the points of them. And the logging system is fine - it just does what it says it does. It never claims to record every boat, every day, and doesn't need to. Mistakes can be put right if the people concerned can be bothered to do so rather then just say they know their rights, they don't have to prove anything to anyone, take me to court if you want - and then moan when the courts rule against them for no rational reason, because that's what courts do sometimes. Otherwise, no reason for genuine CCers, uncontacted by CRT, to feel stressed. Why should they?

I'm not sure who you think is being divided. I'm all in favour of CCers, and home moorers with online moorings, and people in marinas. I've never, ever met anyone who isn't.

And I've got one for you, too....

Maybe there are some nutcases around who would be willing to take over a BWML marina and sign up to CRT's overbearing, corset of a contract.

CaRT have announced today that BWML has disposed of its Goytre Wharf Marina (116 berths) to ABC Leisure.

The 'nutcase' (as you put it) is ABC's Ed Helps. Bizarrely, he emailed me about six months ago pointing out that, in writing an article in narrowboatworld regarding BWML's performance, I had omitted that BWML had written off £714,087 last year.

CaRT have announced today that BWML has disposed of its Goytre Wharf Marina (116 berths) to ABC Leisure.

The 'nutcase' (as you put it) is ABC's Ed Helps. Bizarrely, he emailed me about six months ago pointing out that, in writing an article in narrowboatworld regarding BWML's performance, I had omitted that BWML had written off £714,087 last year.

BWMLs Whixhall has had several viewings and I understand may now be under offer.

I guess we will have to wait for further CaRT announcements to confirm. What can be said is that the BWML policy of buying up ailing marinas is well and truly dead as most BWML marinas are themselves ailing ...

Why are MWML marinas ailing? Surely they should be creaming it in given the support they are getting from CRT in terms of the doubling of the price of on line moorings the last few years.

Why are MWML marinas ailing? Surely they should be creaming it in given the support they are getting from CRT in terms of the doubling of the price of on line moorings the last few years.

Whilst a small number of online moorings have seen dramatic price rises, in many other cases the price has either not increased at all, or in some cases even been cut. And if you fail to let them, it doesn't matter what the price is, because you ain't actually getting any income from an empty mooring.

Also the growth of marinas means more and more of them taken out of service.

No doubt someone can quote the numbers, but my gut feel is that overall revenue to CRT from "directly managed" online moorings is unlikely to have increased much in recent years, and may even have fallen some years?

Well said!

.................... I await the usual backlash from the pi55takers.

I'm not sure you're on the right forum :)

Greenie

Rog

(Are all trombone players so clear thinking.......must be the clearing out of ear wax)

poor management!

No, that's because we all get on when we are actually are out there. You'll also find, out there, law abiding boaters who ARE stressed about the enforcement reguime and logging system. Many of those choose not to have a home mooring simply because they are out there and wouldn't use it, not because they can't afford it.

Regading the logging system, so if there is a mistake you beleive it's better to deal with the symptoms rather than the cause? Ah yes, of course it's all those P takers who don't move enough who are the cause I hear you say.

Rights are only there because some question authority. Then again, we're all getting older and it"s easier just to put our foot up and judge from a distance eh?

bassplayer, on 11 Mar 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

P takers often make rules.

Which of course, is precisely what has happened in this instance.

(Entered because few people seem to read the complete thread nowadays....)

Now all they have to do is to promote low-cost marina berths, so that those who are short of funds can afford a home mooring.

Perhaps they should suggest pre-payment metered moorings so that OfBoat can come along and cap the costs?

No it hasn't

No, that's because we all get on when we are actually are out there. You'll also find, out there, law abiding boaters who ARE stressed about the enforcement reguime and logging system. Many of those choose not to have a home mooring simply because they are out there and wouldn't use it, not because they can't afford it.

Regading the logging system, so if there is a mistake you beleive it's better to deal with the symptoms rather than the cause? Ah yes, of course it's all those P takers who don't move enough who are the cause I hear you say.

Rights are only there because some question authority. Then again, we're all getting older and it"s easier just to put our foot up and judge from a distance eh?

I've always though that most CCers don't have a home mooring because it would be pointless with their lifestyles - the affordability thing is a minority, I should think. I suppose it's that minority that may be feeling stressed, as they may be working closer to the limits.

Re the logging system, in a sense it is better for all of us to deal with the symptoms rather than try to convince CRT that what we need is a totally accurate logging system. That would involve GPS tracking as there's no other way to do it, and I certainly don't want that. Anything else would be so expensive and labour intensive it would be ridiculous. And there has to be some kind of system of tracking, or there's no way of enforcing the rules at all - and there has to be, whether people like it or not..

Your final point is correct - you only have rights because you fight for them and use them. But you have to pick fights you can win, and that are worth it. Banning all enforcement isn't one of them.

I've always though that most CCers don't have a home mooring because it would be pointless with their lifestyles - the affordability thing is a minority, I should think. I suppose it's that minority that may be feeling stressed, as they may be working closer to the limits.

Re the logging system, in a sense it is better for all of us to deal with the symptoms rather than try to convince CRT that what we need is a totally accurate logging system. That would involve GPS tracking as there's no other way to do it, and I certainly don't want that. Anything else would be so expensive and labour intensive it would be ridiculous. And there has to be some kind of system of tracking, or there's no way of enforcing the rules at all - and there has to be, whether people like it or not..

Your final point is correct - you only have rights because you fight for them and use them. But you have to pick fights you can win, and that are worth it. Banning all enforcement isn't one of them.

Who said anything about banning all enforcement?

As a CC'er I fully support CRT in their approach.

I am in complete agreement. Nothing has changed other than that CART are getting to grips with one or two minor problems that BWB/BW just let ride.

The rules are very simple and amazingly easy to understand by everyone who intends to understand them.

Tim

• Greenie 3

I am in complete agreement. Nothing has changed other than that CART are getting to grips with one or two minor problems that BWB/BW just let ride.

The rules are very simple and amazingly easy to understand by everyone who intends to understand them.

Tim

Very good point.

And for those boaters determined not to understand the rules, no amount of explaining is going to make any difference.

mrsmelly, on 11 Mar 2016 - 3:18 PM, said:

Tim

Mike the Boilerman, on 11 Mar 2016 - 3:52 PM, said:

Very good point.

And for those boaters determined not to understand the rules, no amount of explaining is going to make any difference.

Is it not that the 'sudden' influx of boaters into the London area in particular has made CaRT more aware of the problems - in particular those of waste and sanitation problems. An outbreak of cholera in the future is not too far fetched to contemplate - and then 'the government' will come down with a heavy hand.

CaRT have to be seen to do something....

Is it not that the 'sudden' influx of boaters into the London area in particular has made CaRT more aware of the problems - in particular those of waste and sanitation problems. An outbreak of cholera in the future is not too far fetched to contemplate - and then 'the government' will come down with a heavy hand.

CaRT have to be seen to do something....

Actualy you may be right. Far too much that effects us all comes out of that poxy minority bit of England known as London.less than twenty percent of us live there or ever in deed go there nor ever would yet the hovel increasingly impinges on our superior lifestyles that are not involved with it sad.png

Tim