Floods?

Ray T

Featured Posts

The Oxford at Somerton is up about 9'' from yesterday but has breached the towpath in a couple of places so hopefully it will not get any higher.

The levels went down this afternoon but are now back up even higher.

I noted from the train this afternoon that the Cherwell is extensively flooded and there is quite a flow on the Oxford. Before I left home I went to check that the River Salwarpe and the Droitwich Barge Canal hadn't become the same thing in Vines Park. The fact that the moorings in Netherwich Basin are floating pontoons is a clue to what could happen. I doubt I could get very far if I tried to go boating right now.

Also tried to spot Tawny Owl from the train at Hatton but failed.

JP

Good grief, missed that by one day. Going back to "our" marina today the levels on the GU were still flooding over the towpath in several places. As fast as the overflows were getting rid of the water on one side it was flowing off the fields on the other. I did wonder whether I might have been able to take a short cut across the fields. wacko.png

Judging by our local brook, the Warwickshire Avon is about to go up a lot

Richard

I'm away at the moment but got a text that the river at Barton/Bidford is in flood. Looked at the EA website and its about 3.25m above ordnance datum. How much did it rain? I left the boat on Thurs afternoon and river levels were fairly low. When the ground is saturated even half a day of rain will flood the river.

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2234

Edited by blackrose

I'm away at the moment but got a text that the river at Barton/Bidford is in flood. Looked at the EA website and its about 3.25m above ordnance datum. How much did it rain?

Judging by the water that got inside our unit, a lot but not quite as much as last time

Richard

I noted from the train this afternoon that the Cherwell is extensively flooded and there is quite a flow on the Oxford. Before I left home I went to check that the River Salwarpe and the Droitwich Barge Canal hadn't become the same thing in Vines Park. The fact that the moorings in Netherwich Basin are floating pontoons is a clue to what could happen. I doubt I could get very far if I tried to go boating right now.

Also tried to spot Tawny Owl from the train at Hatton but failed.

JP

Richard, are you still afloat?

We are still rising drastically. Water has flooded over now, and the flow has gone from 9 cubic metres per second, to 53.5 cmps just now. Sadly we are not on a canalised section. May have to attempt a short move tomorrow if it doesn't drop.

Boats too high for puppeh to jump up onto now....plank required!

Edited by Ally

And again we are sitting on the bottom surrounded by listing boats, sluices must be wide open at the Denver Complex just in case Cambridge gets flooded. Again they have gone over the top, in October they drop the level from summer height to winter level, about 300mm down and now have dropped it another 300mm to 500 mm, just in case.

About once a year we do see the level rise maybe 300mm above summer level but that is only for about 24hrs.

Phil

Bad luck, Phil!

I think you've said this before - in which case apologies - but am I right the gauge at Isleham is above the lock? I ask because that level doesn't look particularly low.

The level at Ely does look to be down a little bit compared with normal - but I think only 50 to 100 mm. Looking back over the last couple of months:

• there are some periods (most of February) when there is a distinct pattern matching the tides (as no water can flow out though Denver sluice either side of high water)
  • and other times when the level is more even, which either means there is much less flow going down the river, or there is more flow, and the relief channel is being used to stop the level rising at Denver around high tide. I need to find a gauge for the relief channel....

We are still rising drastically. Water has flooded over now, and the flow has gone from 9 cubic metres per second, to 53.5 cmps just now. Sadly we are not on a canalised section. May have to attempt a short move tomorrow if it doesn't drop.

Boats too high for puppeh to jump up onto now....plank required!

There are two boats above sileby lock, ropes down to bollards now underwater. I know where I would be right no and it's not there!!

River Avon at Bidford has risen by 2.4m (nearly 8ft) in just 24 hours!

https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/station/2234

It certainly caught me out this time. My dinghy is locked to the boat. Looks like I'm staying elsewhere when I get back to the UK this evening.

There are two boats above sileby lock, ropes down to bollards now underwater. I know where I would be right no and it's not there!!

They'll be ok as long as they have enough rope and the level does not rise high enough to allow the bottom of the boat to come over the towpath.

Edited by blackrose

One has to ask, what was a hire boat doing on that bit of river?

There are enough signs on the last lock to make an idiot aware!

I'm sure they were glad they wore life jackets.

Is this another case of Hire firms just letting hirers go without proper instruction, especially making them aware of local dangers!

Nipper

Good grief, missed that by one day. Going back to "our" marina today the levels on the GU were still flooding over the towpath in several places. As fast as the overflows were getting rid of the water on one side it was flowing off the fields on the other. I did wonder whether I might have been able to take a short cut across the fields. :wacko:

What was the marina like when you got back Ray?

I notice that the Facebook pages for both marinas now mention high levels for yesterday so presumably the canal both above and below Calcutt locks was high.

One has to ask, what was a hire boat doing on that bit of river?

There are enough signs on the last lock to make an idiot aware!

I'm sure they were glad they wore life jackets.

Is this another case of Hire firms just letting hirers go without proper instruction, especially making them aware of local dangers!

Nipper

Aren't hirers allowed on the Avon between bath and Bristol. I'm sure I've seen them? Or you mean they went onto the river ignoring red board signs?

What was the marina like when you got back Ray?

I notice that the Facebook pages for both marinas now mention high levels for yesterday so presumably the canal both above and below Calcutt locks was high.

Water level was up to the bottom of the pontoons. Had an email this morning form Castle Marina's to say the water had dropped:

"We are very pleased to say that the water levels have dropped significantly in the marina overnight and we haven’t had any further rain. This morning we are checking boats for tightening up ropes etc. and working out what we have in the water and whether it belongs here or has come in from the main canal.

Any boats that we have found specific problems with, we have been in touch with the individual owners, so if you have not heard from us, everything is okay. If we find anything today similarly we will be in touch."

Also the GU between Calcutt bottom lock and the marina entrance:

Edited by Ray T