Water pumps- how to install

Featured Posts

As some of you may know the wife's foot went through the water pump dividing it nicely in half and causing a splash or two of water to threaten to sink the boat (exageration). Has anyone got any advice for how to change the water pump- turn off the water obviously- turn off the electricity supply (I'm guessing)?

I also need to replace the front panel which appears to be leading from the bow onto the stair (where the water pump is).

Heeelllpppp...

As some of you may know the wife's foot went through the water pump dividing it nicely in half and causing a splash or two of water to threaten to sink the boat (exageration). Has anyone got any advice for how to change the water pump- turn off the water obviously- turn off the electricity supply (I'm guessing)?

I also need to replace the front panel which appears to be leading from the bow onto the stair (where the water pump is).

Heeelllpppp...

Step One: Replace the wife! b0221.gif

PS there will be a useful contribution along any minute...!

What kind (make/model would be handy) is the old pump? When I replaced mine, I bought one of a similar size and pipe layout to the old one, so it was a case of

1) Mounting the pump by screwing it onto the floor

2) fitting the pipe end fittings (might even have been the same) and "clicking" in the pipes

3) connecting the wires

It was a bit larger, and the pipes were semi-rigid and got in the way a bit, so it was a bit of a wriggle. If you want it to run quietly, make an effort to get all the pipes clear from touching the bodywork of the pump and use the rubber feet only, to mount it. You do realise that with 12V electrics, there's no real danger of electrocution, but its worth turning it off to avoid inadvertently letting the two wires touch each other, short out and blow the fuse/trip the circuit breaker.

Photos would help!

Front panel - too many different ways of securing it to generalise!

ETA for the plumbing, I'd expect the water pump to be the 2nd thing from the tank - the first will be the stop valve - I will assume you found this?

Er, still waiting Loafer.

First thing you need to do to make life easy for yourself is find out what your pump is, the info should be on a plate on the pump body. Once you have done that you just need to get on the net or to a chandlers to buy a replacement, then fit it, all you should need is a spanner and maybe a screwdriver.

If you want to buy another make, Jabsco is a good make followed by Surflo, I only suggested replacing like for like for ease of swopping.

Phil

Top tip: if you're a liveaboard and don't already have a spare pump, buy two - its one of those items which is taken for granted but somewhat forgotten about until it stops working. Its frustrating not being able to get any water out the tank (neatly) when the pump fails.....

Learn how to post photos on the forum, it makes it so much easier to help.

Boat plumbing is all push together like a sort of watery Lego so its dead easy.

.................Dave

Er, still waiting Loafer.

First thing you need to do to make life easy for yourself is find out what your pump is, the info should be on a plate on the pump body. Once you have done that you just need to get on the net or to a chandlers to buy a replacement, then fit it, all you should need is a spanner and maybe a screwdriver.

If you want to buy another make, Jabsco is a good make followed by Surflo, I only suggested replacing like for like for ease of swopping.

Phil

She might also need a few new connectors and a few inches of new plastic pipe.

Anna, my recommendation is to find a circuit breaker or fuse that supplies the pump, then you can cut off the power to the two wires to the pump. Then remove the pump and take it to a chandler and see if they have one of the same type. Buy two if you can afford it, as Paul C said.

Dmr has a good point too. Post a photo of the present water pump location and it's connecting pipes.

Or take your boat to a boatyard and smile nicely.

What's a pressure valve? I've heard of pressure relief valve (but can't imagine manually turning it on and off); and pressure switch. But not pressure valve.

If you mean pressure switch, then effectively yes but you could fit a pump with one built in and save the hassle of it.

The engineer called it a pressure relief valve. If I get a water pump with one built in will I have to take mine out of somewhere?

What I meant was the water pump wasn't turning off and the engineer said the pressure relief valve needed fixing.

The engineer called it a pressure relief valve. If I get a water pump with one built in will I have to take mine out of somewhere?

What I meant was the water pump wasn't turning off and the engineer said the pressure relief valve needed fixing.

Are you sure he didn't say 'pressure switch' which is inside the pump?

The engineer called it a pressure relief valve. If I get a water pump with one built in will I have to take mine out of somewhere? What I meant was the water pump wasn't turning off and the engineer said the pressure relief valve needed fixing.

Possibly a bit of confusion here. The pump is turned on and off automatically by the pressure switch which is normally contained within the pump. If the pump fails to switch off automatically the pressure relief valve (normally on the hot water tank aka calorifier) will open to relieve the excess water pressure until the pump is switched off.

There isn't a pressure relief valve within the pump.

Edited by nicknorman

Thanks again.

So if I replace the water pump and it still doesn't turn off when water is not in use then can I assume it is the relief valve?

Is it the circular thing to the right of the pump, in your picture?

That's the bit that snapped off. It was attached to the black cylinder thing.

Thanks again.

So if I replace the water pump and it still doesn't turn off when water is not in use then can I assume it is the relief valve?

Are you talking about a pressure relief valve on your hot water tank? In that case, then yes, if that is stuck open with crusty deposits. You'll need a new one of those.

Maybe that is indeed the fault, and your water pump was ok. But you'd see the leaking water in your bilge or elsewhere around your hot water tank.

I can't see a pressure relief valve in your picture. It looks different to any of the components there. If your pump runs and runs its possible you have a faulty PRV (pressure relief valve) but that's another slightly different issue than standing on the pump, breaking it.

If you see that its faulty, once you've found it, and it needs replacing, replace it with one with a built in gauge - it will make diagnosing water issues much easier in future.

I can't see a pressure relief valve in your picture. It looks different to any of the components there. If your pump runs and runs its possible you have a faulty PRV (pressure relief valve) but that's another slightly different issue than standing on the pump, breaking it.

If you see that its faulty, once you've found it, and it needs replacing, replace it with one with a built in gauge - it will make diagnosing water issues much easier in future.

I'm not sure what one of those is, and I know a fair bit about boats. I doubt it will be much help to Anna...

Anna, have a look for a hot water tank. There is normally a pressure relief valve on that to prevent it over-pressurising. If that is failing slightly open, then you will have your water pump continually trying to re-pressurise it and will keep running, possibly intermittently. There will also be a lot of water around it.

We need Tony here.

A few boats use an external pressure switch. The black thing next to the pump might be one or it might be a filter. I can't quite see from the photo....do any wires go into that black round thing? It don't really look like a switch.

Are you saying the black round thing has broken off the pump? Can you do a close up photo with the round thing pulled away? is something actually broken or just become disconnected???

...............Dave

The wires clearly suggest its a pressure switch. Personally, I'd replace with a decent high flowrate Jabsco pump and re-do the pipework to take the pressure switch out too.

I'm not so sure about that. Aren't the wires just passing by the round black thing? Anyway, if that tap is the tap to isolate the water tank, that would mean the round thing is on the inlet which means it must be a filter and not a pressure switch.

Top tip: if you're a liveaboard and don't already have a spare pump, buy two - its one of those items which is taken for granted but somewhat forgotten about until it stops working. Its frustrating not being able to get any water out the tank (neatly) when the pump fails.....

You wouldnt buy two pumps like mine over £300, 240 volt jobbie very good loads of water pressure but not instant, which stops that surprise when you turn the tap on. I wouldnt go back to the click click of 12 volt pumps with the constant leaks from the plastic joints.