Boat Move Required ASAP

AdamG

Featured Posts

Hi

I need my boat moving from Thorne in Yorkshire (currently moored with Nationwide Narrowboat Sales) down to Milton Keynes Marina as soon as possible, taking into account winter closures. She is 50', recently fully surveyed and blacked, engine just serviced, full of diesel with a full gas bottle plus anchor and chain if river journeys are required.

If anyone is able to do this, please could you reply with a quote or email argrundy@hotmail.co.uk?

Many thanks

Adam

Thanks Nomad

I've contacted Denboy with a PM. He's got a booking that clashes at the moment...

If you want to think about the option of doing some of the mileage yourself and making the move in stages, then I look like having time to get the boat from Thorne to Leicester for you on the weekend after next.

That would get the Trent and Soar part of the journey out of the way for you, leaving a couple of weekend canal jaunts between Marinas to get you to Milton Keynes.

Tony Dunkley's suggestion sounds good, I don't know him but he has a reputation for knowing what he's doing on rivers especially the Trent.

If you take him up on it, and would like crew to help you on the last bit from Leicester to MK, I'm available 2nd to 10th April, and it won't take that long.

I'm not a professional boat mover, so for insurance reasons you would probably need to be aboard. But I come free, I know how to work locks and can help with the steering if required.

Assuming the river levels will be low enough for Tony to get through, does anyone know of any stoppages which would obstruct this trip?

Thanks Tony and Peter

Very kind offers. I'm obliged to take my remaining holiday from work before 31st of March and I saved up a few days to move aboard. I've therefore booked 18th to 31st March off work. So, I'm currently trying to get my boat down here as close as possible to the 18th. With the winter closures, I don't think I'm going to be able to do that on water and I'm forced to look into having my boat transported by road. So far, I have someone who can do the road transport bit and a reasonably priced crane this end - but the cost of a crane at the start of the journey is horrendous! I've today sent out some email requests for quotes for a crane, so I'll have to wait and see.

If I can't get the crane costs down, I'll have to consider whether forking out double the cost of moving by water is worth having my boat down here for the start of my holiday or not...

Cheers

Adam

Have not been out on the Trent recently because of the 'flood'.

Went down (Newark) for a look on Thursday and it was over 5 feet higher than normal, and about 12" higher than when the narrowboat got swept over the weir (9th Feb) as it could not turn against the current.

Everything was (apparently) shut down and closed at Torksey this week - a 5 metre tide came in and when it went out the water level did not drop due to the amount of 'Fresh' coming down river.

Tony is 'on the water' so would have a better feel for what's happening, but I believe that currently a NB trying to go upstream would struggle.

Thank you all so much for your advice, quotes and general help - what a great forum. Nigel Carton has agreed to move my boat for me and I am very pleased that he can do it...

Kind Regards

Adam