Narrowboatworld Article on Marina's new EV

Featured Posts

What about PHEVs though?

Too expensive. An old Landie will do me, although we don't run a car at all.

I'm sure the people at Tesla will be gutted at that announcement.

I doubt it, and even if they were, I'd wouldn't be bothered.

...and I wonder why the O.P. specifically mentions car charging points and illustrates the post with a picture of what, apparently, isn't one.

This point is two x 7.2kwh type 2 sockets, fitted by Rolec Services.

What about PHEVs though?

Two Clients with Mitsubishi PHEV's have used the charge points so far.

Dan would only know if someone reported it.

Any of the site staff would see the report.

The thread was hidden for consideration, however, it was felt the debate amount the concept of a marina having an electric 'pool car' for moorers would of sufficient interest to allow/excuse/tolerate the unauthorised advertisement and the location of said pool car.

Daniel

Completely agree - on March 14th 2016. However, in days gone by, cars were a rich man's toy. PHEV seems a sensible way forwards given "range anxiety" and the lack of progress in battery technology, relative to other areas.

Doncha just love the way lack of range gets translated into "range anxiety"?

Like it's the owner's fault you can't go anywhere... :-)

In the early days of motoriing, electric cars (and steam ones, for that matter) were competing against IC engined vehicles.

Yet it was the IC engined concept that won by far the largest market share, as it still does today.

Soddin' 'ell, what's wrong with a bike, or walking?

I often do in the summer. But I can't arrive at work soaking wet.

And I can't give customers a lift on the crossbar.

(Mostly because my bike doesn't have one!)

"Range anxiety" and "lack of range" are two different things. "Lack of range" is pretty simple, if you have a 400 mile journey and your electric car can do 300 miles between charges, you can't do it in one go. Nobody's arguing againt this.

"Range anxiety" is where you commonly do journeys within the range, but either want the ability to occasionally do a long journey (even if you rarely/never need to); or the range indication (which is effectively a state of charge indication - there's been a few threads on that on this forum!) has an error band of unknown magnitude; or you are theoretically able to coordinate using and charging the car but in practical terms, its inconvenient compared to a petrol/diesel car (where the same coordination of fuel tank contents is much more convenient because stopping and fuelling up is much quicker).