Narrowboatworld Article on Marina's new EV

Featured Posts

Dan would only know if someone reported it.

Did you?

I did, on the grounds that it was grossly misplaced. This isn't news, it is the proprietor of a marina that doesn't pay its bills posting a fluff piece to attract attention.

I wonder if Mr L will give us an update on how young Roy is doing as the head of the phoenix business?

• Greenie 1

This isn't news, it is the proprietor of a marina that doesn't pay its bills posting a fluff piece to attract attention.

It may be prudent to insert the word "allegedly" in there somewhere.

It may be prudent to insert the word "allegedly" in there somewhere.

No, I think it is an established fact that Pillings Lock Marina failed to pay amounts owed to CRT by way of NAA, and that those amounts were never paid. The company went into liquidation without paying, and a new company appeared phoenix-like from the ashes.

No, I think it is an established fact that Pillings Lock Marina failed to pay amounts owed to CRT by way of NAA, and that those amounts were never paid. The company went into liquidation without paying.

Agreed, but you couched your remarks in the present rather than the past tense, from which it might be inferred that you're talking about the new company.

I have seen a lot of the charging points up and down the motorways but only once seen a car on charge.

The other thing which rather irritates me is they invariably take the mobility bays nearest the entrance to change to charging points. Surely all electric car users can't have mobility issues but all people with blue badges do so why take the most convenient away.

Before somebody replies I realise that it is probably because it is the cheapest opion but it odes seem a little selfish putting cost before the convenience of those who have mobility problems.

Rant over.

That's rather handsome. I've never heard of a Tesla before - perhaps it is an offshoot of a larger company? From the website, it seems to be American, though it doesn't look it.

They are American and their vehicles are still pretty rare in this country still, hence my double take when a Model S pitched up in our local supermarket. Mind you that is the only place that I know you can charge one for miles around which may go some way to explaining why it was here.

The fact you have to drive for ages to find some where to top-up does rather negate the benefit of owning one (just yet at least).

The power output and torque suggests they would make a rather good tow car but until they come down in price and charging one when away from home becomes a more realistic prospect I will be sticking with my Diesel Antara.

I do really like the rear doors though on the Model X SUV. I could sit and play with them all day. cool.png

Edited by MJG

In the USA Tesla have been caught using diesel generators at their charging stations.

Not so green, really.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/05/28/tesla-supercharger-station-powered-by-diesel-generators-video/

Is there ANY 'green' method of charging an electric car?

I suppose each charging station could be hooked up to ten acres of solar panels...

I see more and more electric cars in London. We'll, mostly I see them, they're so bloody quiet it's easy to step off the kerb in front of them if you're a bit preoccupied and they're behind you. Always one on the charge point outside the office - no congestion fee to pay.

Mike the Boilerman, on 11 Mar 2016 - 3:37 PM, said:

I suppose each charging station could be hooked up to ten acres of solar panels...

But that won't work either as the panels have to be manufactured, delivered and installed and my understanding the manufacturing process is no the most environmentally friendly process either.

All transport has environmental consequences. Some are just further away from where the transport takes place.

There's several methods which can (and have been) used to take into account electric vehicles when working out their equivalent fossil fuel usage, for example Petroleum-equivalency factor which is used to calculate vehicle manufacturers' CAFE credits.

There's several methods which can (and have been) used to take into account electric vehicles when working out their equivalent fossil fuel usage, for example Petroleum-equivalency factor which is used to calculate vehicle manufacturers' CAFE credits.

Paul could you please translate this into English please?

Tim

Very amusing. Presumably a kilo of gas burned 150 miles away from the car charging point then used to charge a battery which then runs an electric motor is FAR less environmentally efficient than burning a kilo of gas directly in the car... NOT!

But I bet the arbitrarily set "Petroleum-equivalency factor" proves otherwise.

Its weird how the general public thinks electric cars are 'environmentally friendly'...

I think it's how many free coffees you get (in designated Cafes) for every 100 miles covered, or something like that :-)

I think you will find that the one in the picture above is a standard boat 16a pillar.

The large shed in the article itself is the car charging point.

I wonder what competitive electrical rates the moorers will be charged???

You're incorrect on this occasion Matty40s - We have actually installed two x 32amp points.

What about PHEVs though?

I looked at buying a phev. I only go 2 miles to work most days, and I could do that just on the 'leccy.

But I do need to be able to do longer trips on a regular basis, so a phev looked like a good option.

However, the price is eye-wateringly high. Given that you are paying for an electric drive system with motors and batteries as well as the combstion engine, I supose this is to be expected.

Even given the reduced running costs, zero road tax (at the time), etc, and a £5000. 00 government subsidy I couldn't make it look like an economic proposition.

Rich man's toy, I'm afraid, and, while oil prices remain low, it seems that they will continue to be so.

Rich man's toy, I'm afraid, and, while oil prices remain low, it seems that they will continue to be so.

Completely agree - on March 14th 2016. However, in days gone by, cars were a rich man's toy. PHEV seems a sensible way forwards given "range anxiety" and the lack of progress in battery technology, relative to other areas.