PVA boat interior?

Featured Posts

I'm about to have the inside of my boat gutted, updated then I'm planning to paint the tongue and groove on the walls and ceiling. The guy I've booked to do the work has recommended painting the tongue and groove with a PVA/water mix to seal it before painting. Is this a common practice? Is it worth doing?

I'm about to have the inside of my boat gutted, updated then I'm planning to paint the tongue and groove on the walls and ceiling. The guy I've booked to do the work has recommended painting the tongue and groove with a PVA/water mix to seal it before painting. Is this a common practice? Is it worth doing?

Stops paint soaking in so forms good base for 1st coat of paint.

It all depends on what kind of paint you intend using and whether or not the T&G is already painted or varnished. If it's not painted already I think I'd opt for an ordinary wood primer as first coat.. If it's already painted then a good rub down followed by undercoat and topcoat is the best option. PVA is great for porous surfaces such as plaster but I've never seen it recommended as a wood primer,

• Greenie 1

It all depends on what kind of paint you intend using and whether or not the T&G is already painted or varnished. If it's not painted already I think I'd opt for an ordinary wood primer as first coat.. If it's already painted then a good rub down followed by undercoat and topcoat is the best option. PVA is great for porous surfaces such as plaster but I've never seen it recommended as a wood primer,

PVA can and is used for any material, seals the surface and provides a keyed surface for helping bond subsequent coats of paint, plaster whatever. Very versatile stuff, you can use it to provide a good bonding surface on old butler sinks so you can plaster them with a cement/peat mix to make decorative planters.

Phil

Just to clarify, the T and G is 20 years old and is varnished and my plan is to paint it.

I'm hoping I won't need to sand all the way down to the wood - it's a 70' boat with lots of T and G!

I've heard somewhere that Zinsser Bin sealant/primer works well. Does anyone have any experience of this?

PVA can and is used for any material, seals the surface and provides a keyed surface for helping bond subsequent coats of paint, plaster whatever. Very versatile stuff, you can use it to provide a good bonding surface on old butler sinks so you can plaster them with a cement/peat mix to make decorative planters.

Phil

I wouldn't use it over varnish. An oil based primer will seal best in my experience.An acrylic topcoat will bond well.

I've nothing against PVA. It's brilliant stuff when used for the right purposes but I think it would be a mistake to apply it over an existing varnish as a first coat. Thinned with water it will tend to form beads and runs giving a patchy result but you could try it on a small area first.

Just bear in mind that there aren't too many shortcuts to a good paint job and preparation is everything. It would be a nightmare if it all starts crazing or peeling off in a few months time.

I've nothing against PVA. It's brilliant stuff when used for the right purposes but I think it would be a mistake to apply it over an existing varnish as a first coat. Thinned with water it will tend to form beads and runs giving a patchy result but you could try it on a small area first.

Just bear in mind that there aren't too many shortcuts to a good paint job and preparation is everything. It would be a nightmare if it all starts crazing or peeling off in a few months time.

This ^^^^^^.

Zinsser BIN is good stuff, it's a white tinted shellac based sealer primer..

Sticks to anything so if the varnish is nice n smooth, just a good clean with sugar soap or strong detergent should suffice. The BIN will also seal any knots and kind of performs as an undercoat for lighter colours.

BUT bear in mind it needs GOOD ventilation when applying.

The local decorator centre may be a good source of advice, also there's various painting forums out there.

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

• 2 weeks later...

That's the stuff, Buy and Queue are a bit cheaper if you're near one:

http://www.diy.com/departments/zinsser-bin-white-primer-undercoat-1l/38767_BQ.prd

Probably worth trying a sample area to see how application goes, a short nap roller for gloss might work well.

ETA: What sort of topcoat are you planning to use out of interest? Oil based is generally more durable but water based is non yellowing.

Edited by smileypete

Not sure about topcoat yet. Can I use either on Zinger BIN? How long would an oil based topcoat take to dry?

Also, how many litres would I need for a 20m/70' boat? I'm doing the ceiling and the wall from the gunwales up. I know this is bit of a difficult one to answer but is there a rough rule of thumb for litres of paint per sq m?

Not sure about topcoat yet. Can I use either on Zinger BIN? How long would an oil based topcoat take to dry?

Also, how many litres would I need for a 20m/70' boat? I'm doing the ceiling and the wall from the gunwales up. I know this is bit of a difficult one to answer but is there a rough rule of thumb for litres of paint per sq m?

Generally you can find coverage amount on the paint tin as in 10 squ mtr per litre or similar.

Phil

This^^^^^^

Sorry, you lost me there!

Means the poster is agreeing with the post they quoted or the post immediately preceding theirs. It's internet shorthand for "You hit the nail on the head."

Edited by Paul G2

I've nothing against PVA. It's brilliant stuff when used for the right purposes but I think it would be a mistake to apply it over an existing varnish ...

I agree.

I would also warn against painting tongue and groove, save for a last resort. However obviously I do not know what you have and its your baot.

Daniel

I've been recommended Dulux Endurance for the topcoat FYI

That's an acrylic based matt which is a lot more durable than the usual ones and therefore good for a boat.

Bear in mind it's a retail level product, a trade version should be much superior and maybe not that much more expensive if you shop around.

As said, if you trawl the painting forums or sign up and ask questions, they are a wealth of knowledge, eg here's some opinion on Endurance:

http://www.painterspitstop.com/threads/endurance-or-diamond.1872/

What sort of colour scheme and finish are you going for out of interest, is it both walls and ceilings?

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete