Delay to survey- what would you do?

Witchword

Featured Posts

Great news Witchword! Are you planning to haggle over price because of the central heating? Anyway, it's definitely the right problem to have with spring approaching - hopefully you have a good few months now to get it sorted before it becomes an issue.

I'm going to speak to a couple of people with the 'symptoms' and see what they say, but my feeling is that I'll get some money off and fix it myself. Yes, that's another gamble, but for speed...

Thanks for all the support so far. I had to move out in a hurry last week when things turned rather unpleasant, so staying with my lovely parents, and it'll be good to be able to move forward from that situation.

Loving it so far, mixed with anxiety while I am on my own... Solo boating is VERY tiring at the moment!

Yep, it will always be physically tiring but stress-wise, it gets easier the more experience you get under yer belt.

I have enormous admiration for you going for it, solo.

Mum came up to help me with Hatton locks (she and dad had a boat for a few years, shared with a couple of friends). One lock I did on my own around Radford(?) took me an hour (mooring up, getting the level right, opening the gates, untying the ropes, getting her in, tying up, shutting the gates, opening and closing the paddles, opening the gates, ignoring my fear of heights to get back on board, leaving the lock, mooring up to shut the gates... you know!) and I had visions of starting at 7am and still being there the next morning at 4am... Anyway we paired up with another boat, which was great, and it was quite smooth and only 2.5 hours. Couple of pints of Butty Bach slipped down very nicely afterwards, too, it must be said cheers.gif

More friends helping tomorrow and Sunday with the Stratford canal to Stratford, hopefully. Then I need to find someone to do the Avon. If it's even open.

• Greenie 1

Was that at the big posh eating pub at the top of Hatton Locks?????

I ordered fishcakes there a couple of years back and the portion was very small. When I complained we realised that we had had a misunderstanding (probably my fault) and they had given me a starter version rather than a main. I apologised for inappropriate complaining and they gave me free beer. I was very impressed with that. They also have a "dog table" if you want to eat and take your dog in with you.

.....................Dave

Congratulations biggrin.png I have been following this thread over the last few weeks.and I am so pleased for you that it has all worked out well in the end.I wish you the very best on your new adventure I am positive you will be just fine, and please keep us all updated on how it is going on.

Mark

The turn into the Stratford canal will test you. Have a look at all the damage on the bridge where boats have hit it. Do it really slowly with a bit of reverse and its fine. The Stratford locks feel tiny after the Grand Union.

..................Dave

Some of the lock gates on the Stratford were really really stiff when we did it last year. In fact one of them was really bad, and it took myself, my husband and a burly jogger to move it! I believe CRT were supposed to be doing work on them over this winter, so hopefully they will be much better. Enjoy :)