Narrowboat Broken Into - Weedon

Hotspur

Featured Posts

From Northampton Chronicle & Echo

Food, a TV and other items were stolen after a boat was broken into on the Grand Union Canal.

The narrow boat was moored outside the Heart of England pub in Weedon when it was broken into between 2pm on Saturday February 27, and Saturday March 5.

Offenders appear to have cut through a padlock and forced a door open at the side of the boat to gain entry.

Along with food, electrical items including a TV and a radio were taken.

Anybody who has seen any suspicious activity in the area over recent weeks is asked to contact police.

Witnesses, or anyone with any information, are asked to call Northamptonshire Police on 101.

Alternatively, they can call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 55511

Link to article

Another boat left long term un attended .A bit of surveillance and an easy target for the thieves.

cost for temporary leave in a marina about £70

Edited by b0atman
  • Greenie 1

What a shame. Think I've seen other reports of boats broken into in Weedon over the last 6 months. I'm pretty sure Weedon was somewhere I have previously left a boat unattended whilst I went away for work, and it certainly doesn't feel 'unsafe', however I think I've seen enough reports now that I certainly wouldn't leave a boat there now and would probably give people the same advice. Not sure I'd go as far as to not want to stop there completely though. It's a handy little village with ok pubs and always seems a popular mooring.

Another boat left long term un attended .A bit of surveillance and an easy target for the thieves.

And if this was the only week of the year the owners needed to leave their boat unattended, maybe they'd have paid that £70 for the extra peace of mind. But for all we know, they need to leave it unattended 40 or 50 weeks a year, in which case the cost of that extra peace of mind could be several thousand pounds.

A week is scarcely "long term", the boat was outside a pub where it could (I assume) be seen by lots of people, and it was obviously locked. It sounds as if the owner had taken reasonable precautions.

The trouble with Weedon is that it stands at the crossroads of two major A roads, so nasties can make a quick and easy getaway.

Using the same logic it's unwise to leave your car locked and unattended in any public place.

Using the same logic it's unwise to leave your car locked and unattended in any public place.

After one successful raid on a boat the thieves will know that there are rich pickings to be had unlike in a car where a look through the window shows the des Oconnor cd collection.

After one successful raid on a boat the thieves will know that there are rich pickings to be had unlike in a car where a look through the window shows the des Oconnor cd collection.

I'd hardly call a 12v telly, a radio and some food 'rich pickings'.

I'd hardly call a 12v telly, a radio and some food 'rich pickings'.

Rich is relative. If it's a finchoid character, the proceeds from selling the telly and radio could be more money than he usually sees in a week or more.

My point being, if you're gonna risk getting done for burglary, breaking into a house makes more sense than a boat given the likely value of the contents..

Your problem there Mike is that you are assuming petty thieves have more than one brain cell which is very often not the case.

Tim

In Cleethorpes they would smash a car window to steal the radio these where then for sale for a fiver in the pubs. Druggies desperate for cash .Also a spate of burglaries where only cash was taken as the police said nothing to trace.