Webasto nasty fuel ??

Featured Posts

I see Fuel-guard are offering their polishing add on free with orders for the 1120 unit: http://www.fuel-guard.co.uk/index.php/decontaminator-1/decontaminator-water-separator-fgd1120.html/

Means you can polish the fuel in the tank anytime you like.

Surly if you are polishing the fuel you don't need the Fuel Guard ?

Does the water content explain the massive carbon buildup that we experienced, with 5 years of misery, constantly de-coking the bugger and eventually buying a spare burner pot?

It may well. Carbon build-up is a consequence of imperfect combustion.

All this talk of poor running and premature coking begs a question.

How many of you had the burn rate adjusted, not just told it was (not likely on builder installed and DIY installs) but know for certain by doing it yourself or watching it done?

Surly if you are polishing the fuel you don't need the Fuel Guard ?

The fuel polishing kit is a pump, a couple of stop valves and bits of pipe work. It lets you run the entire tank contents through the Fuel Guard whenever you want to. I guess you'd still need to suck any residual water out of the bottom of the tank from time to time, the stuff that's below the fuel take off.

Edited by BruceinSanity

On monday i fitted a brand new burner £200.all new seals and gaskets and Ran for 2 hours from a jerry can of fesh fuel i noted how hot and how much quicker the system got to temperature once satisfied alls well, i reconnected back to the boat fuel supply and ran, initially all seemed well, just after 25 minutes the very feigntest of wispy smoke was witnessed from exhaust.....needless to say back on jerry can now. So, my conclusion is i may have poor fuel, but ive also learned, that its quite likely that combustion has never been 100%. Which has also been a factor.. webasto software downloaded now ☺ thanks for all the advise Chaps

On monday i fitted a brand new burner £200.all new seals and gaskets and Ran for 2 hours from a jerry can of fesh fuel i noted how hot and how much quicker the system got to temperature once satisfied alls well, i reconnected back to the boat fuel supply and ran, initially all seemed well, just after 25 minutes the very feigntest of wispy smoke was witnessed from exhaust.....needless to say back on jerry can now. So, my conclusion is i may have poor fuel, but ive also learned, that its quite likely that combustion has never been 100%. Which has also been a factor.. webasto software downloaded now ☺ thanks for all the advise Chaps

Could it be a bad fuel SUPPLY system and not the actual fuel?

Sounds like too much sulphur in the fuel

I doubt that, assuming inland use it has been illegal to supply anything other than ULSD (less than 15 parts per million) for some time now, mind you it wouldn't be the first time somebody did something illegal, though I doubt any fixed installation would do such a thing at least knowingly.

I doubt that, assuming inland use it has been illegal to supply anything other than ULSD (less than 15 parts per million) for some time now, mind you it wouldn't be the first time somebody did something illegal, though I doubt any fixed installation would do such a thing at least knowingly.

Yes it does seem unlikely but the symptoms do seem to indicate high sulphur. I'm sure I read somewhere that high sulphur diesel isn't actually illegal, if so maybe some is finding is way onto the market.

Edited by nb Innisfree

FAIR

Yes it does seem unlikely but the symptoms do seem to indicate high sulphur. I'm sure I read somewhere that high sulphur diesel isn't actually illegal, if so maybe some is finding is way onto the market.

AFAIR it is still possible to get high sulphur Diesel - in theory that is - because it's intended for fishing boats and the like. I suspect it's impossible to ghet inland.

Far more likely - and I didn't notice any 'analysis' of the OP's fuel in his tank and or the state of his prefilter?

Does he have a pre filter??

I've still got a load of fuel bought before the 60/40 rules came in and it's bright as the day it came out of the tanker, without any special effort made to cosset it.

Summat wrong with the fuel in the tank is my guess....

The fuel polishing kit is a pump, a couple of stop valves and bits of pipe work. It lets you run the entire tank contents through the Fuel Guard whenever you want to. I guess you'd still need to suck any residual water out of the bottom of the tank from time to time, the stuff that's below the fuel take off.

If you're going to have a fuel polishing kit permanently installed you really want two draw-off pipes - one right at the bottom of the tank for the polishing kit, and one higher up to feed the engine.

Fairly straightforward law, I can have high sulphur as I moor in a coastal marina, if I moored on inland waterways it .would be illegal for anybody to sell it there. Simplistically but not part of the legal wording: if your mooring is upstream of a lock then they can only sell ULSD there, the issue is that there is no control over the FAME content in either case. There is lots of reading on the act and information on various qualities of diesel on the web for those interested.

Hre's a starter http://www.abnb.co.uk/submenupages/red_diesel.html

Edited by NMEA

FAIR

AFAIR it is still possible to get high sulphur Diesel - in theory that is - because it's intended for fishing boats and the like. I suspect it's impossible to ghet inland.

Far more likely - and I didn't notice any 'analysis' of the OP's fuel in his tank and or the state of his prefilter?

Does he have a pre filter??

I've still got a load of fuel bought before the 60/40 rules came in and it's bright as the day it came out of the tanker, without any special effort made to cosset it.

Summat wrong with the fuel in the tank is my guess....

Yep. Red diesel!