How often and how far will you home moorers cruise?

bassplayer

Featured Posts

Didn't do much last year, but that was largely because we didn't get our act together and plan anything.

Intention this year is Iver (home mooring) to Stratford-on-Avon, do the Avon Ring (including a twirl round the Droitwich Ring if we're not too tall), then home from Brum via Knowle. First indications are 34 actual cruising days at, for the most part, 6hr per day, so it's going to be a mix of a couple of 2-week stretches plus some weekending (which may need the length varying as we try to fit weekend sections to public transport - this may also be a reason, on some sections, why we'll be the boat that's in a tearing hurry when everyone else thinks the cut should be enjoyed at leisure).

Of course, once we get down to that level of detail, it may not work out.

Intention is to do rather more - and perhaps more leisurely - once I retire. But that may be a while yet and before then there may be a period when a weekend is 4 or 5 days long, which will help our range when weekending around the system.

For the past ten years I've cruised continuously from April to late September, covering several hundred miles and locks and about a hundred pubs per year, but you did ask about this year, and I'm afraid that is in the hands of the demolishers of Elland and Crowther bridges on the Calder & Hebble!

We'll do a few weekends, probably a week sometime, and then hopefully have September off work for a long trip.

Last September's big trip was 340 miles and 268 locks; a previous one was 438 miles and 270 locks. Over a whole year, we've often managed over 800 miles and 500 locks, and that's in spite of work getting in the way!

Yes work restricts us but we still manage reasonable distances. Our summer cruise will be at least 628 miles and 328 locks, some of the miles will be a bit quick.We need to go through London but don't fancy being triple moored so not sure what we will do - possibly avoid the Regents Canal ?

Not sure what direction you are travelling but there is no need to be worried about travelling through London and getting a mooring. If coming down the GU I would stop the night at Uxbridge (loads of towpath) then Little Venice/Paddington Basingstoke for a night, and then Limehouse Basingstoke for a night. Each of those stopping places is a easy days crusing and you'll not have a problem finding a space.

Home moorers are one CRT's biggest customers and have (well should have) a lot of influence in the future of it's waterways.

1) How often do you think you'll go for a cruise this year?

As often as possible. Definitely moving new boat for 8 days. Hopefully cruising South on the Thames on old boat before selling it.

2) What's the furthest you think you'll travel from your home mooring this year?

New boat is already 8 days from home mooring. I'd like to take it to a historic rally at some point, probably Braunston so that would be another 16-odd days. And I plan to cruise in the Cambridge/Ely area, though that is dependent on getting to know people who can act as crew...

Last year we did about 500 miles which was not as much as I hoped, but a vast improvement on the two years previously, when I was prevented from doing any cruising by broken bones.

This year I'm determined to plan it in - I bloody love cruising. Have helped myself by spending all money that otherwise might have gone on a holiday on fixing up the bote. ;)

Do you enjoy cruising when you get the chance? It just dawned on me some might not enjoy cruising and just enjoy being on board in the peace and quiet.

That's very true. There are a few boat owners on the farm where I moor who I have never seen moving, but they seem to have a great time with a glass or two of wine sitting in the sun watching the ducks. To some it's a vaguely movable holiday cottage - each to his own, I say. I like moving, and due to the necessity of trombone practice, in my case it's compulsory...

Do you enjoy cruising when you get the chance? It just dawned on me some might not enjoy cruising and just enjoy being on board in the peace and quiet.

Yeah, I do enjoy cruising but partly because of where I am - northern tip of the BCN, I either go down into Brum or I take the 21 and get out onto the Shroppie - there's a lot of time to get to somewhere that interests me and I don't know every blade of grass on there's easier ways to amuse myself not least of those things is the camper van I built last summer. The boat, for now at least, is a home and nothing else. I love it as a home though.

Mine clearly states "Standard River Only Licence"

Thank you Alan.

Just as a matter for consideration would a "Standard Canal & Rivers Licence", be correct ?

Should it not be "Standard Canal Licence & River Registration Certificate" ?

Should VAT only be chargeable of the canal (40%) portion of the 'licence' ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

That's very true. There are a few boat owners on the farm where I moor who I have never seen moving, but they seem to have a great time with a glass or two of wine sitting in the sun watching the ducks. To some it's a vaguely movable holiday cottage - each to his own, I say. I like moving, and due to the necessity of trombone practice, in my case it's compulsory...

:)

I was just saying to Chris this morning that for some blokes (and maybe some women) the boat is a bit like a garden shed. Somewhere we can go to escape!

Just as a matter for consideration would a "Standard Canal & Rivers Licence", be correct ?

Should it not be "Standard Canal Licence & River Registration Certificate" ?

Should VAT only be chargeable of the canal (40%) portion of the 'licence' ?

Some further reading and consideration of the relevant BW Acts is needed for a definitive answer, but my initial 'off the cuff' reaction/reply would be ~ No ~ Yes ~ and No, because when a boat licensed for canal use is being used on a scheduled river navigation, the canal Licence is, I think, merely deemed to have the effect of being a Registration Certificate.

Perhaps more particularly, the standard “all waterways” Licence is itself evidence of registration, so that the registration thus obtained applies to rivers as well.

The purpose of registration has to be remembered – identification – that all boats on the canals always had to have, and so the Licence attests to that registration as well as granting permission. Naturally, if you have that, no distinct extra registration is required when entering the rivers.

I am now vague on the point and have to go do some outside work while the sun stays out – but I seem to recall that [initially at least] if you were already a registered ship under other legislation, you could also be exempt from the ’71 requirement. I would have to check that though.

I am now vague on the point and have to go do some outside work while the sun stays out – but I seem to recall that [initially at least] if you were already a registered ship under other legislation, you could also be exempt from the ’71 requirement. I would have to check that though.

That WOULD be interesting as I am SSR as well as C&RT registered.

in answer to original question . while I am still working then about 20-40 miles is max range as cant get that much time off . this would be once or twice a year but with numerous 3-7mile weekend pub hops , most weekends probably this year .

once I can retire then we will probably keep home mooring for the winter mooring and then cruise the network as much as we can in the summer

It should be said that members posting in this topic will probably on average, by virtue of their interest in a canal forum, cover a lot more boating distance per year than people with a home mooring in general. Of all the boats with a home mooring (perhaps 25,000 on CRT waters?), it wouldn't surprise me if the median travelled per year (i.e. what half those boats exceed) is somewhere around 100 miles and 80 locks. This is because there appear to be many boats which either never leave a marina or just emerge for a rare short weekend trip.

I have no boat at all but reckon I did 294 miles and 243 locks in 2015, which I aim to at least double this year, as I'm retiring at the end of this month.

It should be said that members posting in this topic will probably on average, by virtue of their interest in a canal forum, cover a lot more boating distance per year than people with a home mooring in general.

Not sure about that really. There will be people interested in canals who don't cruise often but regularly comment on this forum. There will be boaters who cruise often who rarely comment on this forum. You may also find that some of those who do cruise a lot don't have access to the Internet much of the time.

I wasn't looking for stats really. Just curious as to why so many boats rarely come out of their home moorings and cruise. So far I have...

1) Quite happy just using the boat as somewhere to escape to but not bothered too much about cruising.

2) Mainly used as somewhere to live

3) Lifestyle and family commitments get in the way.

Personally I'd like to see more boats out there, especially in the winter (stoppages permitting). It's great fun and as I keep saying, use it or lose it! (I know, I'm like a stuck record now) :)

It should be said that members posting in this topic will probably on average, by virtue of their interest in a canal forum, cover a lot more boating distance per year than people with a home mooring in general.

Probably the opposite. After all it takes up a lot of time reading and responding to posts on this forum. Time that could more productively spent fettling or cruising... ;)

Not sure about that really. There will be people interested in canals who don't cruise often but regularly comment on this forum. There will be boaters who cruise often who rarely comment on this forum. You may also find that some of those who do cruise a lot don't have access to the Internet much of the time.

I wasn't looking for stats really. Just curious as to why so many boats rarely come out of their home moorings and cruise. So far I have...

1) Quite happy just using the boat as somewhere to escape to but not bothered too much about cruising.

2) Mainly used as somewhere to live

3) Lifestyle and family commitments get in the way.

Personally I'd like to see more boats out there, especially in the winter (stoppages permitting). It's great fun and as I keep saying, use it or lose it! (I know, I'm like a stuck record now) smile.png

Actually, I am not so sure that it is always the case that "many boats rarely come out of there home moorings" is true. I have never seen any hard facts about this and in my experience in a Marina whilst it always looks at least half full even in the summer it is not half full with all the same boats all of the time.

Personally I like the winter months as they are. Winter boating has a pleasure all of its own in the peace and quiet and no congestion at locks even on the Llangollen.

Actually, I am not so sure that it is always the case that "many boats rarely come out of there home moorings" is true. I have never seen any hard facts about this and in my experience in a Marina whilst it always looks at least half full even in the summer it is not half full with all the same boats all of the time.

Personally I like the winter months as they are. Winter boating has a pleasure all of its own in the peace and quiet and no congestion at locks even on the Llangollen.

Aha...are you one if those who wants the canal to themselves? I feel like that sometimes. :)

The problem is that I doubt just throwing money at CRT is enough to keep the waterways maintained everywhere. There also needs to be a demand. If it wasn't for footpath societies walking the rarer footpaths from time to time we would lose them. I think the waterways are also at risk for the same reason.