Why is there a shortage of boats for sale...?

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Well...here it is. After selling our boat 3 years ago...we are going to buy another.

This time it will be shorter (45-55 feet compared to our 60 footer)

CRUISER STERN...(which I had on my 'list' last time...but you know how it is with lists)

Cheaper....as we had a 'nice' looking boat last time..which attracted too much unwanted attention....as one 'cheeky chappy' said to us as he walked past with a battery angle grinder....."It looks a nice boat so it must have nice things on it !!"

Anyway...in light of our previous boating experiences...we went off to the Braunston...Rugby...Burton areas last week...fully expecting to see lots of boats.

Now I know its maybe..not the time of year...but the brokers were pretty devoid of anything. We carried on too Barton Turns..where Great Hayward sold our boat 3 years back...but they no longer do brokerage.

Questioning various people...we could not get a straight answer.

It varied from..."the recession"..."older people want to leave the canals but can't afford to get back on the housing market"....."More people want to get onto the canals"...."there has been less boats being built and older boats being scrapped"....etc etc...

So...what is the 'word on the street?'..(canals)

Is it that people are selling 'on line' and avoiding brokers fees...?

Where are all the boats...?

Edited by Bobbybass

When we was looking for our boat there wasn't many for sale because as soon as they was coming up for sale they was being sold.

Ours went up sat lunchtime by Sunday lunchtime we viewed it and put an offer in on it.

One broker said a lot of boats are going to the big cities for live aboards, people can't afford to rent and buy houses. Plus the money spent buying a boat is money saved if you was renting at the end off it you woud have nothing but buying a boat you have somthing to show for you money and money back when you come to sale the boat again.

Well - there are 519 (168 with cruiser stern) for sale on ApolloDuck, many more 100s with other brokers, how many do you want ?

Well yes, but the number has diminished over the last few months. I mentioned recently on another thread that AD generally had around 30 Springers for sale, but that there were currently only eight. There are now 10, but that doesn't give as much choice as usual. Similarly, for ages they'd usually have ten or a dozen South West Durhams to choose from, but I think there are currently only two.

Perhaps fewer people are buying new boats, and are opting for 2nd hand instead (they must have been reading the advice often given on CWF).

At least one boat known to me has been on brokerage for five months with very little apparent interest from potential buyers. Everyone who knows the boat claims to be surprised that she has not sold yet. It cannot just be the lack of a fixed double as a couple of people have suggested

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/helvetia-52ft-narrowboat-for-sale/

Edited by David Schweizer

At least one boat known to me has been on brokerage for five months with very little apparent interest from potential buyers. Everyone who knows the boat claims to be surprised that she has not sold yet. It cannot just be the lack of a fixed double as a couple of people have suggested

Nice enough boat...but pretty old and probably not what the majority are looking for style wise? More £25000 than its current price maybe?

Ian.

Well - there are 519 (168 with cruiser stern) for sale on ApolloDuck, many more 100s with other brokers, how many do you want ?

Yes, but when I was looking at narrowboats to buy in mid-2014 Apollo Duck had over 1,000 listed. In May 2014 (I kept the figures) there were 370 cruiser sterns listed so that does suggest a drop of around 50% of boats for sale on AD between then and now.

I recall a time not that long ago that the number of Narrowboats on the duck was consistently around the 1000 mark. It was like that for months and never fell below 900 and often would go up to 11 or 12 hundred.

I once commented on how the figure seemed to stick around that number.

If it's dropped that far there is definitely something different going on.

I have a worry that the timothy West and prunella scales programme will add a huge number of new boaters to the system. I've lost count of the number of people who have asked me if I watch it.

my reply is normally that I've heard they bump into everything, stand by for people who believe boating is a contact sport.

Well...here it is. After selling our boat 3 years ago...we are going to buy another.

This time it will be shorter (45-55 feet compared to our 60 footer)

CRUISER STERN...(which I had on my 'list' last time...but you know how it is with lists)

Cheaper....as we had a 'nice' looking boat last time..which attracted too much unwanted attention....as one 'cheeky chappy' said to us as he walked past with a battery angle grinder....."It looks a nice boat so it must have nice things on it !!"

Anyway...in light of our previous boating experiences...we went off to the Braunston...Rugby...Burton areas last week...fully expecting to see lots of boats.

Now I know its maybe..not the time of year...but the brokers were pretty devoid of anything. We carried on too Barton Turns..where Great Hayward sold our boat 3 years back...but they no longer do brokerage.

Questioning various people...we could not get a straight answer.

It varied from..."the recession"..."older people want to leave the canals but can't afford to get back on the housing market"....."More people want to get onto the canals"...."there has been less boats being built and older boats being scrapped"....etc etc...

So...what is the 'word on the street?'..(canals)

Is it that people are selling 'on line' and avoiding brokers fees...?

Where are all the boats...?

They've all been bought.

Blame the plethora of TV programs ramping up the canals.

I think David you beat me to it mentioning the one at Rugby Boats. I find to difficult to believe that because of age people are put off.

Someone, will, get a wonderful boat when they have bought Helvetia.

Martyn.

It seems expensive for an old boat. My last N/B cost 39K was about 8 years old ok a share boat but to me it was the right price

It seems expensive for an old boat. My last N/B cost 39K was about 8 years old ok a share boat but to me it was the right price

I hear what you say, or read what you type, this boat has a good pedigree. Been looked after and has been presented in fine fettle.

Martyn

New and Used have more used boats for sale here at Mercia than last week.

Last week: 4

This week: 5

Shorter boats are particularly scarce.

I reckon Nev is right, people are spending their pensions.

I hear what you say, or read what you type, this boat has a good pedigree. Been looked after and has been presented in fine fettle.

Martyn

True, although if I was the vendor, then after it being on sale for five months with no interest at all when all around narrowboats are selling like hotcakes, I would be asking myself whether my idea of the boat's value was realistic.

• Greenie 3

I have a worry that the timothy West and prunella scales programme will add a huge number of new boaters to the system. I've lost count of the number of people who have asked me if I watch it.

my reply is normally that I've heard they bump into everything, stand by for people who believe boating is a contact sport.

Why does it worry you? Surely more boaters is a good thing?

Is that not your boat David? Rather unsporting to not declare your interest if it is.