warrick to birmingham

thebfg

Featured Posts

Good morning everyone,

I have been viewing this great forum for a while now and am now ready to seek further advice. I have noticed the very friendly nature of the forum and have laughed at the great banter.

As a child I have many happy memories of going around the Avon Ring, The K&A and some other canals that I was too young to fully remember. A few years ago I rekindled that love and happy memories With A Weekend on the Themes around Oxford.

I am now going through the process of giving up the filthy sticks and my mind wondered about what to do with the extra money.

I have decided to take my family, (The missus and two kids of 9 and 4) on a weeks Narrowboat Holiday during October Half term, Kind of hoping for an indian summer.

After Extensive googling I have narrowed down that we will Hopefully Hire From Kate Boats and head up to Birmingham.

In reality I would love to do the warrickshire ring, long days and locks do not worry me but I have concluded that with the short days and the need to let the kids run riot at some points would make this a no no.

So after playing around with Canal planner I have the following rough plan.

Up the GU and the Stratford Canal towards KIngs Norton and onto the Gas street area.

We would like to stop at Cadburys world and the Sealife Centre.

To make it a good week I have thoughts of going up the BCN on to the Teme valley and working our way back round and down the GU kind of making a ring.

I would love to hear all your thoughts, suggestions and ideas on making this a special trip for my amazing family, with your great knowledge of where to go, things for the kids and stopping places, especially the odd pub or two. most of my family holidays have been camping and I need to make this as amazing as possible. They are all newbies but me and the boy have walked along a few canals helping boats through locks.

When I say amazing, the fact they will be staying on a boat and crewing and seeing the world go by would make it special enough, just want it to go seemlessly, We may end up with the in laws coming along and helping too. I have invited them, its a good thing. as they do so much for us.

We will be purchasing a guide as soon as we have paid which will be this week.

Many Thanks,

Adi.

I think I would go the other way from Warwick. Grand Union to Wigrams Turn and then go to the right along the Oxford canal. It's pretty with plenty of places to stop and some nice pubs

Richard

If you are looking for re-assurance concerning the distance then you will be fine. I normally go from central Birmingham to the top of Warwick 2 (Cape Locks) in a single day, and that is with a motor and butty pair. Clearly this is a pretty long day at about 14 hours (with a pair) and might be a baptsim of fire for beginners, but I suspect you could take an hour out of this time with a single boat.

I appreciate you do not want to go from Warwick to Birmingham in a day but I thought you would like to know it is manageable. There are several pleasant places to stop along the way captain.gif

Hiring from Kate Boat in Warwick is always going to involve a lot of locks, I suspect a great many of the people who hire form there do the Warwickshire ring, or perhaps go to Stratford and back.

I think it is 42 locks from Warwick to Birmingham, I would say that you would take 2 days at least to get to Birmingham, perhaps 3 would be better at that time of year, so there and back would be most of a hire week at 6 and a bit days.

If you were to take Richard's advice and go the other way, then you cold look at hiring from Kate's base at Stockton Top Marina, you then cut out 40 locks going up and down the Avon valley.

Canalplan.org.uk gives that route as 71 miles and 105 locks, 6 days at 7 hrs per day which is fine as Pete says. Just be aware that this is quite an urban route. The latter stages of the grand Union (once past Catherine de Barnes) are a bit dull though tidier than they have been. Camp hill locks often require water running down due to low pounds near the bottom. Lots of graffi, rubbish etc! Tame Valley canal is fine as far as Newton Jn (I quite like Perry Barr locks) but the Tame Valley after that is a bit grim, and straight. Though mercifully not very long. Ryders Green locks are also pretty grim. But of course once you are back on the main line it is fine.

Once past Catherine de Barnes, and until you get to Shirley on the N Straford I suggest you need to be careful where you nightstop apart from the recognised sites right in the centre and a few others.

I'm not saying you shouldn't take that route, it is something we would consider, but it is taking you through some of the more unpleasant bits of the BCN whilst missing out on some of the nicest / most interesting bits, eg the very top and Farmer's Bridge flight. If you know what you want, that is fine. If you are looking for some rural idyll holiday, I would suggest going another way

Edited by nicknorman

at hiring from Kate's base at Stockton Top Marina,

Actually, I wonder where the boat will be. It isn't guaranteed that a Kate boat will be at Warwick, it could be at Stockton

Richard

if it helps... we did the warwickshire ring last year in the october half term with no issues in 6 days.

that was 4 people in 2 boats (one of which had people with very little canal experience on) with late-ish starts most days but moving till dusk on all but the last day. we could probably have cut that down further but decided to jump up to fradley from fazeley.

wherever you go you will learn to hate leaves on the canal at that time of year.

Actually, I wonder where the boat will be. It isn't guaranteed that a Kate boat will be at Warwick, it could be at Stockton

Richard

On Kate's web site each boat should say where it is based, it certainly used to do. I think there are only weekly boats from Warwick, and Stockton is mostly short break ones, but I think you can still have a week from Stockton.

Doing Hatton 'straight off' with just two crew is a big ask - unless you manage to work up with another boat. The lock gear is very heavy (gates aren't too bad) and you need at least 1/2 person to keep an eye on the kids.

I think Cadbury's / Kraft World may be a bit of a disappointment - it's more of a buying chocolate experience (I speak of the days when visits to the factory floor were allowed). I think you'd all get a lot more out of the Black Country Museum - you can moor outside and the Pen museum and Jewellery quarter museum, both of these latter a stiff walk from the moorings in Brum.

Wow, thank you for the ideas, plenty to think about,

I have thought about the black country museum, especially if her parents do come.

I have heard entering the city centre out of the farmers locks is nice.

The only problem with Stockton is they don't do Saturday start days.

I was under the impression doing the warrickshire ring would be 9 hour days and with dusk at around half five.

Going down towards oxford would be a different take and I presume a pretty one.

So what bits are the nice bits of Brum?

I do have time on my side to think it out

`

I wonder if this helps. If it was a road, the Grand Union through Warwick would be an A road. It's big, it twists and turns a bit and you can travel easily and stop at pubs. The Oxford is a good quality B road. More twists, more character than an A road.

In Birmingham, they built motorways. Many of the canals are massive, dead straight with big earthworks. They ploughed through the landscape to make carrying freight practical. I think they are incredible and enjoy them for themselves.

The downside is, like a motorway, they don't have so many 'nice' places. You can get off onto BCN A or B road type canals, but perhaps not in a week, and I'm not sure a nine and a four year old will appreciate another three miles of wide, double towpath canal like I do

Richard

In Birmingham, they built motorways. Many of the canals are massive, dead straight with big earthworks. They ploughed through the landscape to make carrying freight practical. I think they are incredible and enjoy them for themselves.

The downside is, like a motorway, they don't have so many 'nice' places. You can get off onto BCN A or B road type canals, but perhaps not in a week, and I'm not sure a nine and a four year old will appreciate another three miles of wide, double towpath canal like I do

Richard

But surely that only applies to a few bits eg Smethwick to Tipton, Newton Jn to Ocker Hill? And the former can be circumvented by taking the old main line.

But surely that only applies to a few bits eg Smethwick to Tipton, Newton Jn to Ocker Hill? And the former can be circumvented by taking the old main line.

It is the problem in finding an analogy to explain the BCN to someone

Perhaps you can highlight the 'nice' bits of the Old Main line that will appeal to small children?

You know full well I'm a great fan of the BCN, and I'm struggling to sell it as a sensible holiday location for the OP and his crew.

Richard

So what bits are the nice bits of Brum?

`

The city centre -Brindleyplace and Gas St are fantastic. And the actual city centre (off the canal) is really good these days too. The loops off the Main line. Then there is the northern reaches eg Anglesey basin, Pelsall etc but that might be a bit far for you. I've always enjoyed the Rushall flight too. The Titford canal. Through netherton tunnel to windmill end. in fact too much to mention!

My personal least favourite is the Walsall canal. The ultimate stinking rubbishy shallow ditch!

Perhaps you can highlight the 'nice' bits of the Old Main line that will appeal to small children?

You know full well I'm a great fan of the BCN, and I'm struggling to sell it as a sensible holiday location for the OP and his crew.

Richard

When I was a small child (well maybe 10-12) I recall finding rural idyll pretty dull. When you had seen one pretty tree/field/cow you had seen them all. I liked locks, tunnels, aqueducts, adventurous boating on the BCN of the early 70s in urban decay. Surely a like of rural idyll is an adult thing? Urban landscape tends to change much faster than rural, and that is what keeps a kid's attention.

Urban landscape tends to change much faster than rural

It seems that the New Main Line has somehow become rural then icecream.gif. That plod along to Factory Locks is almost as mind numbing as the Tame Valley from Ocker Hill

Richard

It seems that the New Main Line has somehow become rural then :icecream:. That plod along to Factory Locks is almost as mind numbing as the Tame Valley from Ocker Hill

Richard

Yes I agree with you on that bit. I did say "tend to". But a lot of the BCN is fascinating for kids who lack the "ugh!" reaction to mess and decay that most adults have. Edited by nicknorman

Just a week. How long would you spend in sea life, cadburys or maybe black country museum. Don't make a weeks holiday an ordeal. Forget a ring. Do run to Brum and enjoy the things suggested Inc. pen museum etc make it a relaxing week.

Agree with all of the above - you need things for the youngsters to do and as they grow up the thought of museums will become a complete turn off (well they did for me) - you come back to them in later life.

If you do a there and back you'll have to do Hatton twice - great for lockaholics and pleasant if you have a team of four (work up and down with another boat).

Soooo - do you have to hire from Kate Boats? (wouldn't want them to lose busness as they're one of the stalwarts of the canal system).

Could you consider hiring from (whoever is at) Tardebigge or ABC at Alvechurch. Then you can do some form of Birmingham ring with lighter locks???

I can recommend Kate Boats, having hired from them many times.

I think if I was hiring from Stockton, I might head for the southern Oxford, as already suggested here - just go as far as comfortable in the time, and return.

If I was hiring from Warwick, I might head for Stratford Upon Avon and return - gives you a significant/interesting destination.

Depending on your taste, these may be more appealing canals than the route through Birmingham, although the Warwickshire ring is eminently do-able!

Richard

thank you, that puts some perspective on it.

Just a week. How long would you spend in sea life, cadburys or maybe black country museum. Don't make a weeks holiday an ordeal. Forget a ring. Do run to Brum and enjoy the things suggested Inc. pen museum etc make it a relaxing week.

that would be sensible to go up, do stuff and just return. maybe using the other canal out of brum

I can recommend Kate Boats, having hired from them many times.

I think if I was hiring from Stockton, I might head for the southern Oxford, as already suggested here - just go as far as comfortable in the time, and return.

If I was hiring from Warwick, I might head for Stratford Upon Avon and return - gives you a significant/interesting destination.

Depending on your taste, these may be more appealing canals than the route through Birmingham, although the Warwickshire ring is eminently do-able!not thought

I did not think of going to stratford

Agree with all of the above - you need things for the youngsters to do and as they grow up the thought of museums will become a complete turn off (well they did for me) - you come back to them in later life.

If you do a there and back you'll have to do Hatton twice - great for lockaholics and pleasant if you have a team of four (work up and down with another boat).

Soooo - do you have to hire from Kate Boats? (wouldn't want them to lose busness as they're one of the stalwarts of the canal system).

Could you consider hiring from (whoever is at) Tardebigge or ABC at Alvechurch. Then you can do some form of Birmingham ring with lighter locks???

luckily for me, I love locks, always remember doing tardebigge, I think, and my mum saying we could have a full English, when we made the top. flew up lol. But maybe your right alvechurch may give a better option and then include a day into Brum

I felt kate boats had great value for money and not heard a bad word about them. not really too far from us either,

I have always wanted to do Birmingham but will heed to the sensible advice any maybe give it a miss. This time .However I need the missus to tell me what she wants, drifting slowly or active and do stuff as usual she is trusting me to do the right thing.

Stratford Or heading south may be the option, its all flying through my head now. my kids will love it wherever we go, was just thinking about a few activities just to break it up a bit, but is not the end of the world as a walk to a park will please them.

This is why I posted before booking In case a sensible alternative popped up.

I really appreciate your time so far and will think over the new different options

Adi

Edited by thebfg

We more at the top of Hatton, and into Birmingham is a longish day, add another 1/2 day for the flight so

Stratford is lovely, but about 1 1/2 days from the top of Hatton, you have Stratford itself and Mary Ardens house at Wilnecote (I think) which is just a short walk from the canal.

There are more locks from Kingswood to Stratford than from Kingswood to Birmingham on the Stratford.

I personally don't like Farmers bridge at all so we mostly come and go to Birmingham using the North Stratford. That has the advantage of not going down to come up and then down again before you leave Birmingham.

If you do go into Brum and moor near the Sea life Center then you've got that and everything that's in the center.

If you found that you'd like a bit of a trip then to the back country museum and back involves only 3 locks and I prefer the old main line. Can't remember how long that takes though.

One thing I would say, and many people will say I'm being silly, is that if you can take the in-laws with a 4 and 9 year old you'll be much less worried abut them.

I know lots of people bring up kids on boats, but I also know that when we took our first boat holiday when my kids were about 3 and 5 I was very worried about them at locks so I was really glad we had the inlaws with us. It meant one could drive, one do the locks and I knew the kids were being looked after.

I know the extra adults made my holiday more enjoyable and less stressful.

Having said that both kids thoroughly enjoyed it, and we soon got them into the habit of putting the life jacket on if they left the cabin.

Have a great holiday.

Sue

The BCM has a lot to offer and the attraction for boating visitors is that you can moor outside overnight

There's excellent fish & Chips and a healthy café on site as well as a pub with proper beer

Tram or trolley bus ride

Coal mine (bit scary)

Tunnel trips - extra cost

Chain making as seen on tv this year

Bakery - as seen on TV this year

Dispensing chemist

old radio shop with 1930's flat above - as seen....

Old bike shop

Gents outfitter

School as it used to be / should be

silent cinema

small funfair

etc, etc

Most of these are staffed with folks who explain what's going on and do their best to engage with whoever comes along, young or old.

I push it a bit as there's so much interaction between people and an opportunity for kids to learn about 'things' without them realising it!

A plan might be to do City centre, overnight around Barclay Card Arena, Old main line down to BCM do 1/2 day there, overnight do another 1/2 day then back to Brum either by the old or new main lines. There are often offers on admission to the museum so a double visit might not be too expensive.

Stratford - apart from the farm - which is fun for the kids - doesn't have a lot to excite the youngsters and it's 36 locks each way a lot of hard work.

Enough - I should stop.

Disclaimer - I have no connections with Birmingham, hated it the first time we visited in 1975, but end up visiting the City nearly every year and still don't know why. There's a lot to focus on, methinks.

I cant thank you all enough. I'm going to spend a couple of days playing on canal planner see what is feasible without squeezing in to much,

I suspect we would be happy just going up to the BCM and returning. It does look good there and my family are from Brum so It would appeal to me.

I will let you know of updated plan.

Greatly appreciated

Adi

I suspect we would be happy just going up to the BCM and returning. It does look good there and my family are from Brum so It would appeal to me.

Adi

That would be a journey - from Warwick to the BCLM and back. If you like, a trip with a purpose.

I like that

Richard

That would be a journey - from Warwick to the BCLM and back. If you like, a trip with a purpose.

I like that

Richard

And more importantly a holiday that everybody might enjoy.