The Importance of being Albert

Stephen Sugg

Featured Posts

Got this out of Google.

BFI Film & TV Database

Doesn't say much but BBC may know more. You've sparked my interest now so I'll ask around. Is it the ovaltine motor built by Walker bros, I wonder? Built 1926 and paired with georgette. Two pairs were built for wander that year. The other motor, Harry, was broken up at Runcorn in, I think, 1999. I seem to remember Jem working on a Wander motor many years ago but it could have been any one of the other seven.

Edited to say:

Well she was still about in 2002, as this photo of her pointy end shows on The Almighty's website.

The Almighty

Also the Jan 1991 issue of Motor Boat & Yachting ran a news story headlined 'Narrowboat Albert back in commission'. The date tallies with the date of the documentary so I've ordered a back issue and I'll let you know more when it arrives.

Edited by carlt

Edited to say:

Well she was still about in 2002, as this photo of her pointy end shows on The Almighty's website.

I know Almighty (Grus) well, it used to moor near Bradford on Avon and for a long while, was paired with an ex GUCC Butty. My daughter went to school with the owner's son.

Edited by David Schweizer

I remember the programme, a young chap 'restoring' the ex Ovaltine boat, I was quite impressed at the time, the bloke started with a few trees, cut them down, floated them to his yard and turned them into a boat.

I might still have the video somewhere, I will take a look.

• 1 month later...

Albert is certainly still about .

I saw her up the Wey last summer and last month came across her at Troy wharf at the end of the private Troy Cut off the G.U. There were several other interesting boats there and at least one wooden narrowboat under restoration .

About 5 years ago Albert was in use as a restaurant boat, saw her at rick one year and someone told me she was fitted out for eating in the hold.

Well, the forum came up trumps, I have obtained a copy, it's very interesting to watch and the chap who did the restoration deserves a medal as far as I'm concerned!

Well, the forum came up trumps, I have obtained a copy, it's very interesting to watch and the chap who did the restoration deserves a medal as far as I'm concerned!

I have heard that Chris Collins (the restorer of Albert) is still "at it" with various other wooden boats including the ex-GUCC widebeam boat Progress. Apparantly he has a millionaire benefactor (where do you meet people like that?) so is able to work carefully.... and very slowly.

He is based up the (private) Troy Cut at Rickmansworth. Anyone know anymore?

Paul H

I have heard that Chris Collins (the restorer of Albert) is still "at it" with various other wooden boats including the ex-GUCC widebeam boat Progress. Apparantly he has a millionaire benefactor (where do you meet people like that?) so is able to work carefully.... and very slowly.

He is based up the (private) Troy Cut at Rickmansworth. Anyone know anymore?

Paul H

No further details but I had been wondering what had happened to Progress, thanks for that Paul.

Andy

• 1 month later...
Does anyone else remember this? It was about the restoration of NB Albert, does anyone know if the boat is still going (or if anyone has a video of it, I'd be interested in a copy......)

Call into the Samual Barlow at Alvecote and ask them to if you can view the video.

It might still be available and I'll check at opening time.

Called 'The Importance of being Albert'

Edited by bargeeboy

It is a pity that there isn't some sort of mechanism to lobby the BBC or whoever to repeat programmes such as this, I do remember it was a particularly good one of it's kind.

Noticed a new trend lately of Quiz shows and even Current affairs shows being repeated. I suppose the TV lovies think we 'the unwashed masses' need an endless diet of this stuff.

Edited by John Orentas

It is a pity that there isn't some sort of mechanism to lobby the BBC or whoever to repeat programmes such as this, I do remember it was a particularly good one of it's kind.

Noticed a new trend lately of Quiz shows and even Current affairs shows being repeated. I suppose the TV lovies think we 'the unwashed masses' need an endless diet of this stuff.

Firstly,an apology to Carlt, I haven't got around to "doing the deed" just yet,been up to my eyes in it, I'll have it done shortly though. I agree with your point John, it's the sort of thing that would fit nicely onto BBC4......

• 6 months later...
Firstly,an apology to Carlt, I haven't got around to "doing the deed" just yet,been up to my eyes in it, I'll have it done shortly though. I agree with your point John, it's the sort of thing that would fit nicely onto BBC4......

Sorry for the delay Carl, when I said shortly I meant 5 months!! It's about my usual turnaround (ask my colleagues!) I hope you enjoyed it!

I've had a look and can't find the video. A pity, it was shown in several instalments if I remember. I was a bit sceptical about some of it.

So was I - although I greatly admired the chaps effoort and perseverance. What struck me was that none of the timber was allowed to season before it was used- Carl will know better than me wether that is a good thing or not. Otherwise , apart from the adze marks all over the place it looked oretty good when I saw it on the bank at Rickmansworth several yeras ago.

Cheers

Phil

I remember the programme, a young chap 'restoring' the ex Ovaltine boat, I was quite impressed at the time, the bloke started with a few trees, cut them down, floated them to his yard and turned them into a boat.I might still have the video somewhere, I will take a look.
can you remember what the programme was called
Yup, I'll PM you.pss. mum's the word
can ya pss tmums the word to me as well cheers

• 3 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this info is of any use,In 1958 when I first had my Fmc motor & traveled the lower T&M, ALBERT [unconverted] was tied on the offside above Weston Lock{the wide one]over the years it got lower in the water & more & more in a state of disrepair From about 1964 it settled on the bottom & listed over more& more until the outer gunnel was under water It was still like that in 1971 the last time I passed that way before selling up & leaving the canal. Looking at it then it must have taken a lot of money +time to get it up together again