Kidde Lifesaver Fire Blanket Recall

Rob@BSSOffice

Featured Posts

This topic may deserves its own pinned thread and not be hidden in the LPG regulator recall - Regards, Rob

The Boat Safety Scheme (BSS) is supporting Kidde Safety Europe Ltd to alert any boaters to the immediate product recall on its “Kidde” or “Lifesaver” fire blankets following concerns regarding their effectiveness in the event of an oil pan fire.

29 February 2016

NR16-003 Kidde Fire Blanket Recall SupportFeb

Kidde Safety Europe Ltd has identified a potential safety issue with regard to fire blankets sized 1m² which may impact upon the fire blankets’ effectiveness in the event of an oil pan fire. Kidde states that no reports of any adverse incidents have been received to date, however, testing of certain fire blankets has identified a risk that the affected fire blankets may not fully extinguish an oil pan fire and/or may allow the fire to re-ignite very soon after application of the fire blanket. Accordingly, a recall has been initiated on a precautionary basis to ensure end-user safety.

Kidde state that if you have one of the potentially affected fire blankets, you must not use it on any oil pan fire.

There is more information on the recall at www.kiddesafetyeurope.co.uk and any boater finding one of these products should remove the fire blanket and contact Kidde Safety Europe Ltd directly on Freephone number 0800 917 0722 to arrange a replacement fire blanket.

Kidde Safety Europe Director Andy Burnett said: ‘Kidde Safety Europe Ltd thanks any affected customers for their understanding, co-operation and it is apologising for any inconvenience caused.

He added: ‘A new fully compliant Kidde branded 1.1 m² blanket, model FB1, has been introduced as a replacement product.

‘If anyone calls our free helpline, we will be able to talk them through how to recognise what blanket they have, or please email admin@kiddesafety.co.uk with any queries.’

The potentially affected fire blankets are 1m² in size and are identified by looking on the website. The fire blanket containers are labelled with the brand name “Kidde” or “Lifesaver” and are marked with the “Kitemark” symbol. The Kitemark Licence Number 35021 is also displayed on the container where marked below.

BSS Manager, Graham Watts said:

We welcome Kidde’s initiative to spread the message about this potential problem with its safety equipment

‘It’s important that boaters and boating organisations pay attention to such product recalls and safety alerts

‘I urge everyone with a fire blanket the very next time they are on the boat, to set aside five minutes and check their equipment against the information in the recall.

- ENDS -

Notes for editors

For help identifying affected fire blankets (images from Kidde Europe website) use the photographs below and if the container looks similar to those shown, contact Kidde using the Freephone number or email in the news release.

NR003-16_BSS_Supports_Kiddie_Fire_Blanke

NR003-16_BSS_Supports_Kiddie_Fire_Blanke

Thanks Rob.

Pinned

Oil pan fires....

Are people really deep-fat frying chips on boats?

We don't but there may will be people who do.

N

Oil pan fires....

Are people really deep-fat frying chips on boats?

Unfortunately - yes. Unfortunately because on occasion, they have started frying and fallen asleep, possibly due to the additional affect of alcohol. Two boaters have unhappily died in this way. Others have lived to tell the tale, but lost their boats.

Thanks Rob.

Pinned

Thanks

Checked mine today. Fortunately it's not a Kidde one.

Big thanks to Rob for brining this and the gas regulator recall to our collective attention.

Another vote of thanks to Rob for this.

Checked both our regulators & they're not affected, phew.

I've found out I have 2 of the affected fire blankets though (in a house). Not impressed with Kidde's 'helpline' response - my retailer doesn't exist any more & Kidde's only option was for me to post the units back to them for checking & then they would send out replacements. Person on the help line didn't know what the timescale for all this would be, so I'd have no idea how long the house would be without cover, not ideal really. As it's a rented house, I can't really say to the tenants 'don't set anything oily on fire while you only have the extinguishers to hand...'.

Also noticed that they've not tried too hard to publicise the recall - it's buried in a small rotating banner on their website & it's taken 7 months for this to come to the attention of BSS (recall notice when I eventually found it is dated July 2015).

I'm disappointed, as before this I considered Kidde to be one of the reputable names in fire safety.

Also noticed that they've not tried too hard to publicise the recall - it's buried in a small rotating banner on their website & it's taken 7 months for this to come to the attention of BSS (recall notice when I eventually found it is dated July 2015).

I'm disappointed, as before this I considered Kidde to be one of the reputable names in fire safety.

I know what you mean, but I have to say Kidde management have been very keen that we help them get the message out and have been most appreciative of our efforts. So I think it may have been a slip rather than avoidance.

Kidde Safety are also really supportive members of CoGDEM on the CO alarm subject matter, so don't let your opinion of Kidde drop too far.

Edited by Rob@BSSOffice

• 2 weeks later...