Moorings around Rugby.. near bus stop?!

lampini

Featured Posts

Hi Chaps...

Boat buying going well.. looking for moorings round Rugby now, preferably with transport links! Someone mentioned Brinklow but did i hear of some thievery going on round there? Any advice on good places; pref with power - and advice on where to avoid?!

Many thanks in advance as always, also bribes of cake too....

biggrin.png

Newbold on Avon. I remember, a few years ago, walking down the lane past the pub(s) for a few minutes and catching a bus into Rugby centre. Or, by bridge 58 (from memory) there is a footpath which leads down to Tesco's, which is on a main road, so I would think that it has bus services.

I'm no an expert on the area, but I was using the dock at Hillmorton Wharf earlier this year and regularly jumped on the bus at the bus stop right outside. A forum member keeps her boat there so may pop up on this thread with some advice.

P.S, she won't like being called a 'chap'.

Edited by junior

Newbold on Avon. I remember, a few years ago, walking down the lane past the pub(s) for a few minutes and catching a bus into Rugby centre. Or, by bridge 58 (from memory) there is a footpath which leads down to Tesco's, which is on a main road, so I would think that it has bus services.

They are basic towpath moorings at Newbold, but a regular service into Rugby. I'm sure there are buses at Brownsover, but we've had reports on here of problems around there, not that we've ever had trouble.

Or there's Rugby Wharf where the Viking base is, or Clifton Cruisers or, further out, Rose Narrowboats at Stretton.

I'd trust your memory more than most folks maps, Mr Athy!

Thanks for all the replies - i'm managing to keep a lid on it so far - but i'm really BLIMMIN' exited now!

ETA biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Edited by lampini

There are good secure offside moorings at Clifton Wharf in Rugby, on a bus route but rarely any spaces. However, you might find space available at the moment in the offside moorings at Colehurst Farm off Smeaton Lane in Brinklow which again is a very secure spot. The farmer (Don Powers) is a very nice guy, the only drawbacks being that there is no electricity, only water and it's about a mile walk from the bus stop. Hillmorton Wharf is secure, good for buses and may have space, but it can be a noisy spot (pub and trains). Personally I'd steer clear of any of the other moorings around Rugby but of course there's always Barby...............

There are good secure offside moorings at Clifton Wharf in Rugby, on a bus route but rarely any spaces. However, you might find space available at the moment in the offside moorings at Colehurst Farm off Smeaton Lane in Brinklow which again is a very secure spot. The farmer (Don Powers) is a very nice guy, the only drawbacks being that there is no electricity, only water and it's about a mile walk from the bus stop. Hillmorton Wharf is secure, good for buses and may have space, but it can be a noisy spot (pub and trains). Personally I'd steer clear of any of the other moorings around Rugby but of course there's always Barby...............

I know this post is meant jokingly but what did happen in the end at Barby?

Tim

Hillmorton Marina - we were there last March-June. There's no noise from the trains or the pub, we found it a pleasant spot and the people friendly, boaters & marina staff. There's a boat workshop there, and a chandlers shop that seems well supplied, and they have a washing machine for boaters' use too!

The bus stop is close and buses about every 20-30 mins, but if you walk half a mile towards Rugby buses comes out of a side road also, so are more frequent. Sometimes buses run direct from the railway station, otherwise you have to change in the town centre. Going by taxi to the railway station is probably the same as the bus fare though!

The 'Hungry Horse' (Royal Oak) pub is OK, a bit like a Wetherspoons but nicer - we had many meals there and no complaints.

I know this post is meant jokingly but what did happen in the end at Barby?

Tim

Funny you should ask that. I was only wondering the same thing myself s couple of days ago so I did a bit of Googling. Current reviews appear to be favourable although all the promised club house, restaurant etc are still only wishful thinking. The latest accounts submitted to Companies House also show that it's doing quite well.

Tony

As already asked.. Marina or not?

Apologies for any confusion.... not too bovvered if there's 230v tbh!

Hillmorton Marina - we were there last March-June. There's no noise from the trains or the pub, we found it a pleasant spot and the people friendly, boaters & marina staff. There's a boat workshop there, and a chandlers shop that seems well supplied, and they have a washing machine for boaters' use too!

The bus stop is close and buses about every 20-30 mins, but if you walk half a mile towards Rugby buses comes out of a side road also, so are more frequent. Sometimes buses run direct from the railway station, otherwise you have to change in the town centre. Going by taxi to the railway station is probably the same as the bus fare though!

The 'Hungry Horse' (Royal Oak) pub is OK, a bit like a Wetherspoons but nicer - we had many meals there and no complaints.

Many thanks for this Foxy - Hilmorton seems to be coming out tops so far!

Funny you should ask that. I was only wondering the same thing myself s couple of days ago so I did a bit of Googling. Current reviews appear to be favourable although all the promised club house, restaurant etc are still only wishful thinking. The latest accounts submitted to Companies House also show that it's doing quite well.

Tony

Was wondering what happened to Barby - might have a butchers if we're at a loose end around there one day - but i recon the bad stories put me off. Interesting to compare the state of completion and attitude of the management to that of the new Bosworth Marina, which, iirc was started a couple of years after Barby. We popped into Bosworth yesterday to have a nose about, really nice folks - very shiny facilities! They were in the middle of a consultation of their moorers as to how the proposed cafe/bar should develop... the only downside i could see was that it was a bit too exposed - lots of trees planted around the perimeter but a while to wait before they grow..

Thanks to all for their local knowledge here.. no substitute for it!

biggrin.png

. However, you might find space available at the moment in the offside moorings at Colehurst Farm off Smeaton Lane in Brinklow which again is a very secure spot. The farmer (Don Powers) is a very nice guy, the only drawbacks being that there is no electricity, only water and it's about a mile walk from the bus stop.

I'm at Colehurst Farm and agree with your comments about security, and about Mr Powers, also it seems to us to be a very friendly community although as you say there is no electricity and it's a long walk along a fairly muddy towpath to the bus stop. Brinklow Marina will have spaces, and does have electricity but again it's a fair old hike to public transport.

Another vote for Hilmorton Wharf if they have space. Friendly and helpful. It wasn't at all noisy when we were there last year, has power, a chandlers, and a restopub close by. A bus stop outside, service 96 (Rugby - Northampton) is hourly but as another poster has mentioned the service 10 and 12 (Rugby - Daventry via Braunston) is about half a mile up the road.

Ken

Edited by NB Ellisiana

Barby, the last time I was there was reasonably busy, but certainly not full.

It probably no surprise that I think it just needs finishing.

Martyn

It's quite full now and they are getting there slowly.

• 4 weeks later...

I left Hillmorton a couple of weeks ago, for Yelvertoft but was happy there. It's not technically secure, no locked gates or anything, but it felt safe, tucked away behind the pub. There are always some people on their boats who keep an eye out for strangers and the only facilities missing were toilets and showers. As others have said, there is a Chandlers, a drydock, workshops etc. Barry, the owner is great. There's a small hire business too but it creates no disturbance. It's 3.2 miles from Rugby station, so within cycling distance. There's a very nice pub half a mile away. The pub immediately next door has good beer but a bit restricted food-wise unless you like pub-chain food. But it's OK for occasional meals.

We looked at Barby recently but discounted it because there were so many puddles on the rough lanes and access roads and the clubhouse is promised for the summer as it has been every year since it opened!

Had my eye on Hilmorton - but what's that old joke?

"if you want to make God laugh - tell him your plans!"

It seems i now have to be nearer to Nuneaton...

Any opinions out there on Trinity Marina Hinckley?! captain.gif

I'll prolly start a new thread after i've spent the day driving a double decker around london in this howling gale - eek! ohmy.pngwacko.png

Strange they are trying to advertise the marina as small and friendly and not one of those 300 boat park marinas yet mention they have plans to increase the size by 120 boats.

Well they do say preferably with power, so I'm guessing that all the answers talking about tow-path moorings in the area are not what they are after?

Mr F is correct, initially at least we want a marina (jobs etc..) ?

• 3 months later...