Northampton to Market Harborough

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

Planning on going from Northampton to Market Harborough & back on my 57' NB, taking 2 weeks starting 21st March. I've been as far as Crick before but don't know what comes next.

Is there anything I needed to know? eg must-see places, avoid at all costs places, etc.

Edited by Ssscrudddy

No, I think it's all plain sailing from then on in.

Some good scenery and locks along the way. Market Harborough is a lovely place also. Moor in the basin,may be a charge (not sure) or just outside 48 hour moorings. We liked MH. It also has a Wetherspoons if you like a guzzle of ale.

Martyn

There are some very nice spots to moor in the countryside. Near bridges 24 and 27 are good spots. When you reach Welford junction it is worth a trip down the Welford arm. Not much mooring until you reach the end but the Wharf Inn is good for food. Again not much mooring before Husband Bosworth tunnel but plenty after it all the way to Foxton. On into Market Harborough plenty of towpath mooring before the basin but very shaded. The basin does charge but the fee includes your electric hook up. If you want a pump out it needs to be booked and done first thing in the morning. Something to do with a shared drain. Places to avoid, none. On the way into MH you will pass a traveller site where there have been historic stone throwing incidents but nothing recently reported. Places to visit MH great for shopping and eating venues also if you like walking there are plenty of pubs in the various villages you pass through.

Edited to add.... If you need supplies of groceries, shops in Crick, Yelvertoft, Welford, Husband Bosworth and Foxton.

Edited by Phil.

That is a nice jaunt, and if you do moor in the basin or just a lickle bit further along, then its only a lickle say 10 minute walk to the centre of MH.

Plus lots of interesting shops and places to grab a snack and the main supermarkets, Sainsburys, Llidl, Aldi, ectera are around the centre of town

Whoops! Nearly forgot doh! Moi

Spoons do woverly brekkies ( just stuffed my face with one

​You'll also have the Foxton staircase which is manned, at the top the wind can be very gusty. In Market Harborough basin there is a 24 hour £10 charge which includes a hookup. Market Harborough is a great place with several decent supermarkets, pubs, and good bus services.

Don't miss out on the Welford arm, with it's excellent pub. The locks at Watford and Foxton are a doddle and there are lots of places to moor out in the countryside, I love it all, especially the Laughton Hills.

If you are at Northampton you are, presumably, on an E.A. license, don't forget that you will need either a gold license or a temporary C.a.R.T. license. Hope you have a safe and happy voyage ;o) +1 for the Wharf Inn on the Welford arm (water tap & services at the end of the arm too)

All of the above good excellent points! We loved Welford arm, very much worth the diversion. MH itself is lovely, we managed to moor in the basin and had dinner in the converted mill which is a very nice restaurant. Short walk into town for some nice pubs. A very good place for a "run ashore". Aslo we managed to get a free night in the basin, arrived about noon on a Saturday and the marina office was closed up, hung around on the Sunday before departure and no sign of anyone either! We where more than happy to pay but no one showed up!

One point is to add that we couldn't find any good moorings by Husband Bosworth Tunnel so was unable to explore the village. Got fuel and a P/O from the yard to the West of the tunnel. recommend, a nice family run place, however cant remember the name of it at moment!

second that. We have never found a suitable place to Moor to explore husbands bosworth and would appreciate tips. One November day before a big freeze we saw over 20 kingfishers between the top of Watford locks and Foxton. Never seen more than a very few since.

We spend a lot of time in this area and although I don't quite share others' enthusiasm for The Wharf, there are indeed lots of great rural moorings on this stretch. Harborough is indeed well worth a visit - good independent butcher, bakers etc and a very nice (if expensive) cook shop. We did explore Husbands Bosworth once, but the moorings to the north of the tunnel are so dank, muddy and downright unpleasant that we have never bothered returning.

Worth walking around the reservoir at Welford: just follow the feeder channel up from the end of the arm (actually the Warwickshire Avon on its way down to Tewkesbury)

It's quite fun rolling down the inclined plane at Foxton, provided you don't go too fast.

Loughton Hills are fabulous - find a hill to walk up.

Was the boat yard North Kilworth?

We moored there for 13 1/2 days. Got a email from CRT stating that we are 'potentially' over staying. We didn't overstay nor intend to do so. I think the EO for that stretch is a little enthusiastic.

Martyn

• Greenie 1

If you want to visit Husband Bosworth then it is best moor up on the North Kilworth side of the tunnel. You then have two options to walk, either along the main road or via towpaths and over the top of the tunnel. The second option is more pleasant but longer.

Husbands Bosworth has got a new Springfields grocery (etc) store which is very handy, but as others have said, it's not an easy place to moor at north of the tunnel.

Welford is indeed lovely (have a walk around the village too) and I really like The Wharf Inn. Market Harborough is as good as everyone else has said. If you like unusual beer (or wine), Duncan Murray's Wine shop on Adam & Eve Street is well worth looking out for. He keeps slightly odd hours though.

Not much too add to the above. We will be moored in Market Harborough last week in March, may see you...oh and im told that the restaurant on the wharf is opening a gin and fizz bar up next week. Wife told me actually and apparently we are visiting!

Ian.

There's a nice newish deli shop in Yelvertoft village, 5 minute walk from the canal at the water point.

Can vouch for this deli-it is excellent-bought some Brie which was the bees knees! Twas also open on a Sunday morning.

Was the boat yard North Kilworth?

Martyn

yes that's the one! Lovely little place!

Only reason why tried to moor on the north side of the tunnel was because our copy of Pearsons showed some VMs around there...but after a lot of searching couldn't find any! IN end we went about another mile or so around the corner and found a lovely spot out in the wilds!

yes that's the one! Lovely little place!

Only reason why tried to moor on the north side of the tunnel was because our copy of Pearsons showed some VMs around there...but after a lot of searching couldn't find any! IN end we went about another mile or so around the corner and found a lovely spot out in the wilds!

yes same here. We find pearsons pretty reliable but have never been able to imagine where he mentions north of the tunnel.

Do not ignore the signs at both Watford and Foxton telling you to book in with the lockie as soon as you arrive. Otherwise you may find yourself with a long wait at, at busy times, relegated back in the queue to the point at which you got round to doing so!

Can only agree with what has already been posted but I don't think anyone has really mentioned that there is plenty of free towpath mooring just outside the basin at MH. Ten minutes into town from the basin is a bit of a rush! Especially uphill back.

Just been that way today. The new marina has come on a long way since Christmas but there still seems an awful lot to do. There were four machines working away today moving earth around etc.

I can confirm there are no decent moorings east of the tunnel. The first sensible moorings are beyond bridge 47 which is a good mile past the tunnel and pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Optimistically there's a sign on Bridge 46 for The Bell Inn!

Being single handed, Watford locks are great as the lock keepers there are all excellent. Although if you are going through on Good Friday, I think Gill and Ray, the usual Friday duo, are taking that Friday off. I can't think why! :)