Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

NEW: Following member feedback, we now have a Mooring & Marina Review forum. Post your review here.

Sign in to follow this  
Keeping Up

Boat's Birthday Barlow Banter: 2 July 2016

Featured Posts

This year is Keeping Up’s 25th birthday (the boat, that is) so we have decided to have a celebration party. Taking advantage of the fact that Debbie (Pingu) and I will also be celebrating 40 years of marriage, we have booked the upstairs room in the Samuel Barlow at Alvecote for Saturday 2nd July.

Although the lunchtime celebrations will be by invitation only, we have decided to throw the evening celebrations open to all as a banter. There will be a hog-roast with hot pork rolls available from about 7.30-9.30pm, and there will also be cake. We have booked their DJ for the evening (he will be under strict instructions as to what type of music to play) and are looking forward to a good party.

All are welcome to join us; it would be useful to have a list here of who may be coming so that we can tell the Barlow what size of hog to acquire. We already have a list of 50 names but the room can hold over 100 people so there should be room for all.

There is plenty of good mooring outside for those who will be coming by boat, alternatively there are Travelodges and Premier Inns nearby.

What a fabulous idea. We are nowhere near there so can't attend. Pity. (Yet another banter we are missing. Going to have to break my duck sometime, excluding the cold outside one at the Folly.)

Hope you get a really good response.

Thanks for arranging that Allan, it is in the diary. I hope to be able to attend, but will confirm nearer the date.

Edited by David Schweizer

I would like to come to this to celebrate with you and say thanks for the help and kindness you showed when I had just bought Albion.

Sadly that date may already be taken up as most seem to in July with some sort of rally or other. Please keep me as a maybe though and I'll revisit this thread closed to the time and see if the date is looking more possible.

I'll check with my lady to see where she is on her art tour - could be round that way at that time

We have booked their DJ for the evening (he will be under strict instructions as to what type of music to play) and are looking forward to a good party.

I must remember to brush up on my dance moves .... do we shake the tree before or after we grind coffee?

What's the sit down dance, where you all sit in a line, and rock and sway and tap the floor either side and you can't walk properly for days afterwards? Or is that only me.

Martyn

This year is Keeping Up’s 25th birthday (the boat, that is) so we have decided to have a celebration party.

Only 25? Young whipper snapper !

Both "Sickle" and "Flamingo" reach 80 this year.

Our diary is a bit fluid at the moment, but we will have a look. I always like an opportunity to visit the Barlow!

We've put the date in our diary. We will travel by car so we can offer lifts for 3 from the Loughborough area. Work is getting in the way of travelling by boat!!

Just checked my roster and that's my weekend off so pencil me in too please.

Good, the numbers are climbing steadily. It's too soon to actually make a list but I'll do that nearer the time, including those people who had already booked their place before I posted this thread, to get a better idea of the numbers.

Referring my original post, I mentioned that roast hog will be provided from 7.30 onwards. The celebrations and the drinking will naturally start earlier than that, basically as soon as we've slept off the effects of our lunch and taken Jessop (our new dog) for a walk. Anyone who gets hungry before that will of course be able to partake of the Barlow's usual menu, but at their own expense. We will have our own cash bar upstairs so there will be no need to queue at the public bar unless you want to.

Open question.

Do you think the pub will mind me parking my motorhome in their car park for the night, I will be eating and drinking in the pub, will I need to ask them first?

We often meet friends, who cruise with us for a few day, when we are out and about on the boat.

The friends arrive by car and ask at the pub where we have arranged to meet them if they can leave their car there for a few days. We always eat and drink in the "arranged" pub when the friends arrive, and usually when we return a few days later. Never been refused permission to leave a car there yet.

Open question.

Do you think the pub will mind me parking my motorhome in their car park for the night, I will be eating and drinking in the pub, will I need to ask them first?

I would be very surprised if they had a problem but our motto has always been ask because sometimes folk take offence if an assumption is made without asking first.

To Keeping Up & Pingu we're still up in the air with this one. Obviously with our recent house purchase and Iona imminently up for sale we won't be boating in Northern parts as originally planned, but we are looking after in law's house and dog for the whole of June while they visit brother in law in America and father in law's birthday is on 2nd July,just after they get back, which may make it a bit tricky.

Juggling balls are still in the air!

Dyad, we have a couple of other friends who are coming by motorhome. We checked with the pub and they said "That's no problem, there's plenty of room".

Ange, I hope your balls all fall in the right places, it would be so good to see you there.

Dyad, we have a couple of other friends who are coming by motorhome. We checked with the pub and they said "That's no problem, there's plenty of room".

Are great, thanks for that,

We are intending to come to this. Life is hectic and so if Tawny is to attend we'll need some help.

We are taking the business to Braunston historic boat rally which is the 25th /26th June, so the weekend before the Banter. Tawny will be there for us to sleep on.

We'll be back at work on the Monday so will have no time to get her to Alvecote.

If any of our helpful friends could move her from Braunston to Alvecote , leaving Braunston monday or later, and arriving by Friday evening that would be great.

Obviously you get a couple of days boating for free, and you can book a bed on her for the do.

Otherwise well have to come by car and stay with the inlaws.

Here's hoping someone would like a trip and can help us out. PM me if you're interested

Sue

OK, I think it's time to start getting a list together. So far I believe we have the following CWDF members on the list as "definitely or almost definitely" attending:

Keeping Up and Pingu (that's us of course)

Chris-B and Lise

Purple Fairy (unless she's working) and Smudge

Bones

Cheshire Rose and Postcode

Odana and John

Ange and Dave

RLWP and Mrs Tawny Owl

Dyad

Richard T and Margaret

And the following "maybe"

Dr Bradley

Barry

Ray T

Junior

Alan_Fincher and Cath

So that makes 18 "definites or almost definites" so far, as well as about 36 other friends and family (boaters or otherwise), and about 8 "maybe".

It would be useful if people not yet listed here, and the "maybe" group, could look in their diaries and give me an idea if they might be coming; I want to be certain that the Barlow have slaughtered enough Hogs for everybody. We'll make sure to have some spare for any last-minute arrivals, of course.

Richard and I are doing our best to be there, but it is now looking unlikely that Tawny will make it due to springing problems on us when she went for blacking.

Sue

Ange, I hope your balls all fall in the right places, it would be so good to see you there.

They will probably set them up with electricity for a couple of bob if you ask.

OK, I think it's time to start getting a list together. So far I believe we have the following CWDF members on the list as "definitely or almost definitely" attending:

Keeping Up and Pingu (that's us of course)

Chris-B and Lise

Purple Fairy (unless she's working) and Smudge

Bones

Cheshire Rose and Postcode

Odana and John

Ange and Dave

RLWP and Mrs Tawny Owl

Dyad

Richard T and Margaret

And the following "maybe"

Dr Bradley

Barry

Ray T

Junior

Alan_Fincher and Cath

So that makes 18 "definites or almost definites" so far, as well as about 36 other friends and family (boaters or otherwise), and about 8 "maybe".

It would be useful if people not yet listed here, and the "maybe" group, could look in their diaries and give me an idea if they might be coming; I want to be certain that the Barlow have slaughtered enough Hogs for everybody. We'll make sure to have some spare for any last-minute arrivals, of course.

We are a probably on Harnser, Brian and Diana

We're heading that way if we can get there we will come and raise a glass (or two) with you in the evening. So put us down as possibiles for now. We are currently heading towards Fradley so hopefully we will be there.

They will probably set them up with electricity for a couple of bob if you ask.

We are a probably on Harnser, Brian and Diana

Looking a lot more likely now, we are at Fradley