Peugeot Project

jimfin

Featured Posts

I am marinising a 1.9 XUD Pugeot engine. I'm not in a hurry so hope to get most of the parts secondhand.

I am looking at adaptor plates to fit a PRM to the bell housing. What's confusing is the SAE!!! What is this refairing to???

SAE is an international standards organisation

For a gearbox it refers to the input spline size and the mounting bolts. There are many gearboxes with the same bolting pattern and input shaft e.g. PRM120/Hurth (something)/Tecnodrive TMC40 so you can fit any of them to the same adapter plate

Richard

MORE: the PRM120 installation drawing is here: http://www.prm-newage.com/media/uploads/51b1a096b04f4.pdfIf you check this against other similar boxes, you'll find the same six mounting holes and same size spline

Edited by RLWP

We have just taken an XUD engine out of a boat, it had a PRM 150 box on it with a proper manufactured adapter plate on it (not home made) and the engine was marinised properly, so the bits must be available. A word of warning though, the engine was a 2.1 90hp on a 2 to 1 box in a 60ft boat so never went above tick over as it was to powerful and revved to high.

I am wondering if the engine could be "de-turbo'd" for the boat application? They did many variations of this engine, some without turbo, for example the 1.8 XUD7TE has 90bhp but the XUD7/K has no turbo, and produces 60bhp. If there's non-turbo versions then the relevant inlet and exhaust manifolds, and possibly other parts, will be out there.

The engine I have is out of a Citron Xantia, an 1.9 XUDTE. This is a turbo engine, but no electronics.

I was told that I could leave the turbo off as it would only kick in on high revs and the engine would run ok under 2000.

The engine I have is out of a Citron Xantia, an 1.9 XUDTE. This is a turbo engine, but no electronics.

I was told that I could leave the turbo off as it would only kick in on high revs and the engine would run ok under 2000.

That seems unlikely. The turbo seems to kick in around 1500 RPM

Richard

Here is some more technical information about the Peugeot/Citroën (PSA) engines supplied by a french company named "Seenergie"

http://www.moteur-seenergie.fr/photos_clients/58/121227122423.pdf

suralimentée = turbocharged.

Peter.

We have just taken an XUD engine out of a boat, it had a PRM 150 box on it with a proper manufactured adapter plate on it (not home made) and the engine was marinised properly, so the bits must be available....

Do you have them to sell....?

Peugeot diesels are quite common in smaller boats abroad, for marinisation parts I would start by looking at Lancing marine on google.

I was going to say, its a project I have known been done before, and Lancing marine are I think the national knowlage pool for such automotive conversions, including the XUD and other common engines. The similar vintage 1.9 VW nat-asp engine is another common one I think.

Daniel

Good Luck. Ensure that the turbo is well shielded from anything flammable- it will be bright red hot when it's going anything more than gently.

N

I have used these engines a few times, even fitted one in a Suzuki SJ for off roading, so got some stick and never have i seen it, or had the turbo glow red hot, even been wading in 4 foot of water and engine covered in water Towed a caravan over 120 miles and still not glowed.

These engine are great IMO, But i would get a NA engine and fit that, no need for the Turbo, I ran the XUD in mine with just 3 wires, glow plug, fuel solenoid and starter motor.

• Greenie 1

I am wondering if the engine could be "de-turbo'd" for the boat application? They did many variations of this engine, some without turbo, for example the 1.8 XUD7TE has 90bhp but the XUD7/K has no turbo, and produces 60bhp. If there's non-turbo versions then the relevant inlet and exhaust manifolds, and possibly other parts, will be out there.

Many boats have turbo engines, and / or larger HP engines, the OP is not on the English canal system so may just be looking to power a boat that needs the extra 'oompf'.

I have seen a few marinised Pug engines in 'River' cruisers, one recently that was marinised by a car mechanic but 'not quite finished' due to a problem with parts.

For Pug marinisation parts look at pages 13 & 15 of the attached

Marinisation Parts & Price List.pdf