Time Goes Backwards on Canals

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

This one will be down to bad programming and bad data entry!

The programmer should be forcing the end date+time of a stoppage (where it's supplied, not just another option like "unknown") to be after the start date, and having failed to code that rule, whoever enters the data should put the dates in correctly anyway.

This one will be down to bad programming and bad data entry!

The programmer should be forcing the end date+time of a stoppage (where it's supplied, not just another option like "unknown") to be after the start date, and having failed to code that rule, whoever enters the data should put the dates in correctly anyway.

So you're completely discounting the possibility of time travel then?

Ha, IT problem,here's another.

Today, the C&RT license checker was at the moorings: shouts over "Can you tell me the reg number of that boat?" So , I tell him and he keys it into the tablet thingy......

"Is it called NULL"?

"No it isn't"

The boat name was nothing like that and yes it has a current license

Bill

Ha, IT problem,here's another.

Today, the C&RT license checker was at the moorings: shouts over "Can you tell me the reg number of that boat?" So , I tell him and he keys it into the tablet thingy......

"Is it called NULL"?

"No it isn't"

The boat name was nothing like that and yes it has a current license

Bill

Good one! It sounds as if the boat is on the licence system but the owner didn't supply its name to CRT (I'm not sure whether it's mandatory to do so?), and the programmer just displays the null value from the database as "NULL", which their man on the towpath doesn't know about.

The following stoppage has just been posted:

Notice Alert

Huddersfield Narrow Canal

Starts At: Lock 26

Ends At: Lock 28

Friday 11 March 2016 07:00 until Thursday 11 February 2016 17:00

Time goes backwards!

Not only that, it doesn't specify which side, east or west! If west I think that's on the Diggle flight , if it's east maybe around Slaithwaite(sp?).Thus we don't know where it is or what dates it runs for.

A bit since, there was a stoppage notice, towpath only ,it said between Bridge 1 & 2 Peak Forest Canal which would put it in Dukinfield near Portland Basin, in fact they meant bridge 1 & 2 on the Macc. Canal at the Junction at the top of Marple Locks a good 8 miles away.

Good one! It sounds as if the boat is on the licence system but the owner didn't supply its name to CRT (I'm not sure whether it's mandatory to do so?), and the programmer just displays the null value from the database as "NULL", which their man on the towpath doesn't know about.

C&RT do know the name of the boat , its printed on the license .More likely the data was entered wrongly , GIGO.

Bill