Historic long term value

barmyfluid

Featured Posts

I see the asking price has dropped by £5k and wonder how long it's been on the market. They're not exactly fighting the potential buyers off with sticks!

BAILDON was first advertised on Apollo Duck website on 23 October 2015, although it may have been advertised elsewhere before this date - so I would say fairly early days yet captain.gif

No I don't, that's why I said 'monster', maybe 'monstrosity' would have been clearer to you. It's a different thing though, Baildon doesn't exactly have CB antennas, GRP flybridge and a rack of halogen lights - as far as 99.99% of the world goes, she's a 'really old narrowboat' with all the dent's and features you'd expect, and if they're still interested, there's the history of her origins.

Yep, I tend to agree with the boat market being quiet, unfortunately there were quite a few boats that suited me up not long back but I didn't have the house sold in time to go for them.

Another 'ting whilst I think about it, there's a world of difference between having a historically accurate plaything (IE one does not live in it) and a boat that you live in but is historical in some aspect. There is a compromise for most.

I guess there are some true liva-boards who keep a faithful example. Are there? Or does true beard stroking stop when you actually live aboard? smile.png

Edited by mark99

No I don't, that's why I said 'monster', maybe 'monstrosity' would have been clearer to you. ..........

My apologies, I misconstrued what you meant. As I think we've now done the Land Rover analogy to death I'll just say good luck with the purchase, I hope you end up with something that makes you happy.

Another 'ting whilst I think about it, there's a world of difference between having a historically accurate plaything (IE one does not live in it) and a boat that you live in but is historical in some aspect. There is a compromise for most.

I guess there are some true liva-boards who keep a faithful example. Are there? Or does true beard stroking stop when you actually live aboard? smile.png

It is true some compromise exists especially where an unconverted boat is the subject, though we did live in the back cabin while the front end was still a work in progress, but even so, appearance and boating practices as used when boats were working does not stop.

CaRT tried to not give me the historic discount. I informed them that Rufford had been converted longer than she had been working and that it was a token gesture as a thank you for looking after a piece of history. I further went on to say that she is a deep drafted boat and they havea legal obligation to keep the waterway to a sufficient depth for me to use Rufford and if they were not prepared to give me ghe token gesture of 10% discount then i would be calling out CaRT each and every time that I got stuck. Which was quite often back then. In the end they relented.

As for criticism, never had any other than the shame of not having a National DM2 in her. Have thought about dropping one in but why swap a nice new reliable lister for an engine that broke don when they were new?

That being said, if the National from Alcor became available I wpuld find it hard to say no.

• 2 weeks later...

BAILDON was first advertised on Apollo Duck website on 23 October 2015, although it may have been advertised elsewhere before this date - so I would say fairly early days yet captain.gif

I viewed her beginning of November, she'd only just been taken to the marina 2 days earlier.