How Britain's barge-dwellers are fighting a battle to stay on the water

Delta9

Featured Posts

Owing to the width of the road from st austell to mevagissey and looe, I'm not surprised. The "lay by" may well have been a "passing place". Someone must have reported them, the chances of seeing plod, plod along that road is itself an exception.

The road from St. Austel to Mevagissey is mainly a normal single carriageway, it is indeed narrow in places but not narrow enough to require passing places though care is needed passing traffic coming the other way in parts.

The lay by was an ordinary pull off lay by. They wouldn't stop in a passing place anyway.

I'm actually very familiar with the road and that particular location not far from London Apprentice, I have driven along it many many times and will be again in a few weeks. We are regular visitors to that area and have been for many years. Looe is actually East of St. Austell and Mevagissey is to the South.

I think perhaps you are confusing it with somewhere else. My guess is you are mixing Mevagissey up with Polperro.

Edited by MJG

The road from St. Austel to Mevagissey is mainly a normal single carriageway, it is indeed narrow in places but not narrow enough to require passing places though care is needed passing traffic coming the other way in parts.

The lay by was an ordinary pull off lay by. They wouldn't stop in a passing place anyway.

I'm actually very familiar with the road and that particular location not far from London Apprentice, I have driven along it many many times and will be again in a few weeks. We are regular visitors to that area and have been for many years. Looe is actually East of St. Austell and Mevagissey is to the South.

I think perhaps you are confusing it with somewhere else. My guess is you are mixing Mevagissey up with Polperro.

No not mixing it up, (though I've no idea how looe got into my post).

The road is not suitable for a caravan to pull in along any of it. I'm familiar with the area, I lived there for 30 years.

There are, and they are called official camp sites!

In the summer it is very difficult to find anywhere to wild camp in Cornwall, and there is a very great risk of being moved on by the Police and others.

there is a difference between "camping" and "parking" a lot of people who wild camp do so as so called camp sites are not somewhere they wish to go so they park somewhere else that is discreet and quiet. Edited by GreenDuck

I stopped in a lay by on the road between St Just and Penzance last summer. I wouldn't exactly call it wild camping though. More like my phone's flat, I've no idea where the camp site is I've paid for without checking the address on the email, I'm knackered after driving for hours, I'm full of fish n chips. Sod this I'm having a beer and going to sleep. No hassle from plod. Never saw any plod. Not sure if they saw me or not though, I was asleep.

I stopped in a lay by on the road between St Just and Penzance last summer. I wouldn't exactly call it wild camping though. More like my phone's flat, I've no idea where the camp site is I've paid for without checking the address on the email, I'm knackered after driving for hours, I'm full of fish n chips. Sod this I'm having a beer and going to sleep. No hassle from plod. Never saw any plod. Not sure if they saw me or not though, I was asleep.

Am surprised you didn't get eaten in that neck of the woods.

"Crackdown on affordable homes" Excellent article in the 'Mirror'

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/crackdown-affordable-homes-how-britains-7440031

It is a good article, for the purpose it was intended.

Some will scoff at it, but that's to be expected. At least some are getting off their backsides and actually doing something, rather than bashing a keyboard in the vain hope of someone noticing.

No not mixing it up, (though I've no idea how looe got into my post).

The road is not suitable for a caravan to pull in along any of it. I'm familiar with the area, I lived there for 30 years.

Then you should know the lay by I am on about. However you are incorrect you can actually pull a caravan along it as there are at least two caravan sites near London Apprentice one of which we have stayed on and a big site at Pentewan Sands. We will also be pulling our van along it when we go to Tregarton Park at Easter. So although you may have lived in the area you are still incorrect I'm afraid.

Indeed the road is not suitable for overnight stops though (lay by aside) nor does it have passing places.

The road down through Fowey over the Bodnick Ferry onto Looe does in parts though particularly on the section from Par down into Fowey and with you mentioning Looe it was easy to think you had confused the two.

Edited by MJG

Then you should know the lay by I am on about. However you are incorrect you can actually pull a caravan along it as there are at least two caravan sites near London Apprentice one of which we have stayed on and a big site at Pentewan Sands. We will also be pulling our van along it when we go to Tregarton Park at Easter. So although you may have lived in the area you are still incorrect I'm afraid.

Indeed the road is not suitable for overnight stops though (lay by aside) nor does it have passing places.

The road down through Fowey over the Bodnick Ferry onto Looe does in parts though particularly on the section from Par down into Fowey and with you mentioning Looe it was easy to think you had confused the two.

I said "pull in" meaning overnight, not pull along.

Indeed there are, I normally spend at least one night a week and often more parked in Cornish lay-bys in my truck and I've never been asked to move on.

And as I said there are plenty of places where it's prohibited and you will and do get moved on.

Indeed there are, I normally spend at least one night a week and often more parked in Cornish lay-bys in my truck and I've never been asked to move on.

I always pull in overnight and kip as well. I've never had problems.

It's all about using common sense, and not peeing off the burger van.

I always pull in overnight and kip as well. I've never had problems.

It's all about using common sense, and not peeing off the burger van.

So it's a bit like not adhering to the requirements placed upon you by CRT, ok if you can get away with it.

I can see why you thought the Mirror article was so fab.

And as I said there are plenty of places where it's prohibited and you will and do get moved on.

Overnight parking in lay-bys is only prohibited if there is a sign prohibiting it. If there is not, then there are no laws regarding the times that vehicles may park in lay-bys, what type of vehicles may park in lay-bys or whether the occupants of vehicles may sleep while parked in lay-bys.

Overnight parking in lay-bys is only prohibited if there is a sign prohibiting it. If there is not, then there are no laws regarding the times that vehicles may park in lay-bys, what type of vehicles may park in lay-bys or whether the occupants of vehicles may sleep while parked in lay-bys.

Yes?

And in places popular with tourists like Cornwall they are quite common.

They are up here in Yorkshire too, particularly in coastal towns

Edited by MJG

So it's a bit like not adhering to the requirements placed upon you by CRT, ok if you can get away with it.

I can see why you thought the Mirror article was so fab.

I suspect the local plod thought you may be a traveller, and therefore moved you on. They are a bit choosey on who they let get away with what. If you also had caravan club stickers in your windows, they may well have thought you were looking to host a "swingers" evening ninja.gif , and therefore moved you on.

I suggest you get a dub van, much more acceptable when touring down that way.

I suspect the local plod thought you may be a traveller, and therefore moved you on. They are a bit choosey on who they let get away with what. If you also had caravan club stickers in your windows, they may well have thought you were looking to host a "swingers" evening :ninja: , and therefore moved you on.

I suggest you get a dub van, much more acceptable when touring down that way.

I haven't been moved on, what on earth are you talking about? I manage to stick to the rules unlike it would seem these non barging so called 'bargees'.

I haven't been moved on, what on earth are you talking about? I manage to stick to the rules unlike it would seem these non barging so called 'bargees'.

Yes, I tend to stick to the rules, and the "bargees" I know do so as well. It's a darned pity the Trust don't stick to them biggrin.png.

Yes, I tend to stick to the rules, and the "bargees" I know do so as well. It's a darned pity the Trust don't stick to them :D.

Well that seems to be the claim, however it would appear that not everybody would support that view, except the Mirror of course.