Shortboat "Shirley"

jenevers

Featured Posts

Pluto has posted in Boat Gallery photo of Steamer 44 towing a train of 3 dumb boats with A 40 overtaking them in background.

Previous 2 publications of this photo stated it was the Steamer overtaking the rear boat.

My Fathers out with the fender on the bow of A 40 and it looks like, with the position of all the dumb boats, that they were not impressed by being overtaken. Although my Uncle John always told me, never put your boat on the right side too early when passing as she might dive off, before you get alongside.

royg

Can you point me to the photos as I cannot find them.

The Bagdad Boatman

Are you referring to the engine photo's or the Pluto post?

The Pluto post is in the Boat Gallery Pictures under Boats. Top line fifth across.

Hope you find and hope you have enjoyed this thread.

Royg

Edited by royg

Fantastic job Kris!

You must be hugely relieved to be mobile again ( so must CRT, I'd guess - although you'll be able to keep ahead of them now!)

David.

Thanks very much David, yes I am relieved to be moving again. I guess Crt are happy as well though you never know. The only issue I'm having at the moment is the engine is hunting at tickover with no load. But as I'm just sourcing a couple of alternators I'll see what it's like when I put them on. By the way which boat is your avatar? As I'm on a phone I can't make it out.

Thanks for that Peter, I guess David is the new owner of Ribble. So he can answer the question where's Ribble, a few people have been wondering.

Regards kris

Should be at Burscough this weekend for the heritage event, I think.

Seen as how we have a shortboat orientated thread, here's some photos of lune

Hi Kris,

thanks for these photos, that looks like a nice meeting place for Shortboats, is the stern of the boat in front of "Lune" yours ?

Peter.

I'm moored on the towpath side, they are moored on private moorings on the offside. The boat in front is Wharfe a pimblotts shortboat, the boat behind is garstan which is a shortboat replica.

Regards kris

I just found a photo of "Garston" I took at Salterforth in 2011

836017LLSalterforth03.jpg

Peter.

Edited by bargemast

Really enjoyed seeing Ribble and Mersey, at Burscough heritage weekend this weekend. Lovely well presented boats.

We worked both of these in the London area, so it is amazing that they have both fetched up back on their home ground now, Ribble had been brought down and converted as a trip boat "Fair Lady" by BWB. Mersey was owned for a while by Richard Branson in his early years before we had it. It had a paper thin bottom at that point - as did Ribble as it had been too well ballasted and dragged the bottom for much of the time.

They're great boats, and ideally suited to London canals. It's a pity there was nothing similar developed down here.

Tam

edit for spilling

Edited by Tam & Di

They're great boats, and ideally suited to London canals. It's a pity there was nothing similar developed down here.

Tam

They are great boats, but then I am biased. Why where they so ideally suited to Londons watetways? I thought harland and wolf built three short boats on the Thames. The lightweight high tensile steel versions, ( farnworth being one example)

Regards kris

They are great boats, but then I am biased. Why where they so ideally suited to Londons watetways? I thought harland and wolf built three short boats on the Thames. The lightweight high tensile steel versions, ( farnworth being one example)

Regards kris

FMC built Pioneer to trial wideboats, and GUCCC built Progress. Neither were successful for a variety of reasons, not least the cost of improving the Grand Union up to Birmingham to accommodate them, and so motor wideboats just did not develop. There was quite a bit of trade which was fairly local involving canal-size lighters, towed by narrow guage tractors once they came off the Thames, but they were never motorised. Harland & Wolff built 3 short boats, as you say, but they were not for use in the SE (though two fetched up back here eventually)

As evidence of their usefulness in the London area our ex-partner Tim Wood and ourselves have had 6 short boats working down here, plus the long boat Cadelis, hence my comment.

Tam