Cold weather painting

darbon

Featured Posts

Hi all.

very tempted to do some coats of primer and undercoat to my NB over the next few days. The temperatures during the day 11-3pm are nice and the steel yesterday was relatively warm. I'm just concerned about the freezing temperatures at night. If the paint has had enough time to go touch dry before the temp drops, is it such an issue?

Cheers

Got to disagree with that. The metal will be quite warm so there won't be any damp on there. Give it a go.

Not on the north face of the boat. But also if the sun is 'warm' on the south side and the metal gets warmish you may find the paint dries before if flows flat.

Give it a go, but you may need a bit of sanding afterwards.

I'm itching to do a bit of painting to my boat's exterior, but I'm wary that it could be waste of time and money doing it at the moment. It's probably safest to hold off for a few weeks. It'll be March next week. It shouldn't be too long before the weather is better for such work.

I'm itching to do a bit of painting to my boat's exterior, but I'm wary that it could be waste of time and money doing it at the moment. It's probably safest to hold off for a few weeks. It'll be March next week. It shouldn't be too long before the weather is better for such work.

Same here - I'm hoping to start mid to late March. I can wash and rub down even if it is a bit wet, so hoping for a dry April.............

I think I would leave it a few weeks yet, once we have the sun, without the freezing temperatures, happy days.

Topcoat is certainly a no-no but you also don't want to kick of with the primer going on badly if you ask me, if it was slapping a mid-coat on something fairly boring and no critical and you could rotate it to get it all dried off in the first few hours of the morning I would say go for it, but on a boat where there are returns/shadows everywhere and you want a top notch finish.... not quite yet!

Primers and undercoat arnt waterproof so will absorb water

This is as factually accurate as to say 'all cars that have done over 100k will be junk' I drive a very tidy 3 Series with 125k on the clock!

Some primers and undercoats may not be waterproof, but the primers and undercoats we use on emilyanne certainly are and will do eight years exposed to all weathers without issue. The primer I have used on the digger project is a domestic exterior paint states 'two coats is required to give a durable lasting finish' and has certainly managed a year without issue.

Daniel

Well, I was practically sunbathing today and the sunny sides I measured over 20oC with my laser thermometer. Unfortunately it's also going down to -3oC tonight. I'm only doing midcoats, but decided reluctantly to leave it. I just can't risk the under layers to the freezing. Could have got away with it, but hey. It's warming up next week, and also starting to rain....

I think I would leave it a few weeks yet, once we have the sun, without the freezing temperatures, happy days.

Topcoat is certainly a no-no but you also don't want to kick of with the primer going on badly if you ask me, if it was slapping a mid-coat on something fairly boring and no critical and you could rotate it to get it all dried off in the first few hours of the morning I would say go for it, but on a boat where there are returns/shadows everywhere and you want a top notch finish.... not quite yet!

This is as factually accurate as to say 'all cars that have done over 100k will be junk' I drive a very tidy 3 Series with 125k on the clock!

Some primers and undercoats may not be waterproof, but the primers and undercoats we use on emilyanne certainly are and will do eight years exposed to all weathers without issue. The primer I have used on the digger project is a domestic exterior paint states 'two coats is required to give a durable lasting finish' and has certainly managed a year without issue.

Daniel

i can show you plenty of rusty cars and boats with spreading corrosion underneath the topcoat of paint, lots of micro blistering as well. Some of the thickening agents in primers is fullers earth just like some body fillers. You have got lucky Daniel others dont

I can show you plenty of rusty cars and boats with spreading corrosion underneath the topcoat of paint, lots of micro blistering as well. Some of the thickening agents in primers is fullers earth just like some body fillers. You have got lucky Daniel others dont

I am sure this is true, and certainly I would be very careful with anything claiming to be 'high build' just as I would with filler, but thats a long way from a blanket statement that [all] primers and undercoat arnt waterproof in my book.

On that note, I did some filling and painting this evening....

20160226_213555.jpg

Daniel