Help! My Knobs Got Stuck!!

Victor Vectis

Featured Posts

OK, I thought I'd better get the fnarr fnarrs out of the way first.

The knob in question is not part of my anatomy but one on the Vanette hob on the boat.

Normal operation is push down, twist and ignite gas. This one is stuck in the down position and resistant to being twisted. Its the one that gets the most use, if that means anything.

I'm wondering about squirting some WD-40, or 3 in 1 oil down the shaft but thought I'd better ask on here first in case thats not a good idea with gas installations.

Any ideas folks?

3-in1 is likely to perish the neoprene O ring seal. WD40 will be fine but the problem will return.

Correct fix is to dismantle the gas tap and lubricate it with silicone grease.

(Or even 'gas tap grease' if you can find any!)

Thanks for that, its the sort of information I was looking for. Going further, how easy would the gas tap dismantle be?

I wouldn't recommend using WD40 on your shaft

Norty step for you my lad. I thought we'd got the fnarr fnarrs out of the way!

Quiet in the cheap seats!

Come on class, settle down.

Rocol gas tap grease is what you need, but as Mike says, dismantling the tap is not a D I Y job.

Any offers of whats involved?

I was sort of hoping the valve would be a plug cock(ish) affair but I'm begininng to realise that its a bit more complicated than that.

Edited by Victor Vectis

Quiet in the cheap seats!

Come on class, settle down.

Any offers of whats involved?

I was sort of hoping the valve would be a plug cock(ish) affair but I'm begininng to realise that its a bit more complicated than that.

Plug cock(ish) affairs generally are a bit complicated, IME. What do you think, Biz?

Edited by Loafer

Dismantling vanette gas taps is easy, and the how is pretty obvious. IIRC there is only one screw and the gas connection. There is a spring in there somewhere.o

Remember to do a gas leak check afterwards, not forgetting round the shaft.

N

Remember to do a gas leak check afterwards, not forgetting round the shaft.

N

After watching a gas fitter plumbing in 2" gas pipes to burners in a fish n chip shop once I was somewhat bemused to see him checking for leaks around the joints with a lighted taper.

Tony

After watching a gas fitter plumbing in 2" gas pipes to burners in a fish n chip shop once I was somewhat bemused to see him checking for leaks around the joints with a lighted taper.

Tony

You were close enough to see!!!

Bod

Assuming that the gas valve is designed to be dismantled (rather than the sealed for life variety) for lubrication and seal replacement it should be a reasonably straightforward operation. Had a quick look at 'vannete' type valves on tinterweb and it appears that only basic hand tools are required.

Whenever I take anything apart which looks a bit complicated is it useful to have a multi-compartment tray to store the screws and a mobile phone handy to take pictures of each dismantling stage.

Obviously your dealing with a gas valve so after reassembly you'll want check for gas tightness with some proper leak detector.

Perhaps not a DIY operation for those who are not confident in their abilities but certainly quite doable for those with an affinity with mechanical things.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Tony

The odd small gas leak in a chippy probably doesn't really matter- they all catch fire sooner or later. Suspiciously often this seems to be when a refit is needed. :-)

N

Tony

Strictly forbidden these days, but it is actually the easiest way to find a small leak.

It's forbidden because in the event of a Big Leak, this method can go badly wrong!