Me Boat won't start...

Featured Posts

Hello, folks, (long time no see)

Anyone know a good boat sparky? Midlands based, preferably.

Went to turn boat over and it ran for a couple of minutes with the battery warning light on (I just thought, starter's probably a bit flat), but then died. Since then, absolutemente nada when you turn the ignition. With the exception that if I jump from my domestics, you get a lovely shock through the ignition key. I suspect this is not normal. I've had the panel off and nothing looks obviously untoward. Sad face,

With the limited information you have given, it sounds like you have a faulty switch. About the only way you could get power to the key itself would be via an internal short in the switch. If the switch stops the engine with a fuel shut-off, the switch malfunction could be keeping the fuel shut off.

Seems like it would be fairly straightforward to remove the switch then hot wire the engine to test this theory.

Isolation switches have been known to give way suddenly. Often the ones fitted to NB's are not particularly good quality and fail.

Is there one in your starter circuit?

That doesn't account for the 'shock' I don't think though unless it has created some queer current path somewhere perhaps?

PS welcome back to the forum BTW.

Yes, there's an isolation switch on the starter (and the domestics). Could be that, but only if the bilge pump bypasses it, because that still works (after a fashion) and is wired to the starter. I'll have a look.

PS welcome back to the forum BTW.

Thanks. :)

Yes, there's an isolation switch on the starter (and the domestics). Could be that, but only if the bilge pump bypasses it, because that still works (after a fashion) and is wired to the starter. I'll have a look.

Thanks. smile.png

Bilge pumps are normally/often wired so that they by-pass any isolation switch. This is done so they still work if the boat is left with the isolation switches off.

Ours wasn't which was a PITA.

Any chance you could do a 2016 update of your wonderful BCN Challenge planner, (pretty please, cherry on top etc)?

No worries. I've been a bit dilatory with my application this year, so I'll get sent off for my copy of this year's points and git 'er done.

• Greenie 1